2013 Honda Pilot Oil Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the book say 5w20

what oils do you guys recommend? only reason i'm asking, is the 2009 honda pilot thread that was started. I don't fully understand what happened...but saw some people saying oil type may help prevent this.

i was told (for what its worth) that the car came with 5w20 semi synthetic.

thanks

I think those problems were because they were using too long of an OCI. Change your synth blend oil every 5k miles (sooner if you're in severe service) and you should be good.

Use a top tier synthetic from any of the majors with reasonable drain intervals.

Synpower, Mobil 1, Pennzoil Ultra/Platinum, Castrol Edge.

Oil is cheap, engines are not.

If it's a '13, it's going to be under warranty.

You don't risk anything by shortening the OCI, but I'd stick to what the mfgr recommends during warranty.

I would not use a 5-20 I would use a 0-20(possibly better start-up protection) and change every 4,000 till engine is broken in. Both our cars see 15,000 oci and the wife only drives about six miles each way. Of course it takes a nice two and a half hour high speed run once a week,point is we short trip and still never had problems with extended drains.Anyways I am sure your under warranty. I think the point of your question is SHOULD I RUN A LITTLE THICKER TO PREVENT PREMATURE FAILURE......Answer: absolutely not. You should be fine with 20 grade.

It should be specced for 0w-20, all my sources say 0w-20. However if your owners manual says 5w-20, do that.

Change the factory fill out around 40-50% OLM, refill with Honda syn-blend 0w-20.
Change the Honda syn-blend out at 40-50% OLM or 6 months, refill with 0w-20 synthetic.
Then just change it at 5-15% OLM or 1 year from now on.

My suggestion is Pennzoil Platinum 0w-20 and a Purolator Synthetic oil filter.
If it is 5w-20, i suggest Pennzoil Ultra 5w-20.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zues50
So the book say 5w20

what oils do you guys recommend? only reason i'm asking, is the 2009 honda pilot thread that was started. I don't fully understand what happened...but saw some people saying oil type may help prevent this.

i was told (for what its worth) that the car came with 5w20 semi synthetic.

thanks

You should give more weight to advice from strangers on the internet than the one given in your owners manual. What does Honda know about the engine? They only designed it but the strangers on the internet really use them daily and they know it better than the manufacturer.

Seriously, at least read the section about the oil change from your shiny new manual before asking the question. They even give the the reason why you don't change the initial factory filled oil until OLM says 15%. Reasonable people still have problem waiting that long (including myself!) but at least one can make an informed decision rather than taking some stranger's word for it.

Use the grade called-for on your oil fill cap on the engine or in the owner's manual. I would use a good quality synthetic oil in that application. There are low-cost synthetic oils that are very good oils. Quaker State Ultimate Durability comes to mind (typically $21/jug at Walmart). Mobil 1 is also inexpensive ($25/jug at Walmart) and is available pretty much anywhere.

I would personally change the oil every 5,000 miles. With that short of an OCI, filter selection is likely not critical. Purolator's PL14610 (PureOne) fits your application and is a solid filter.

Can't go wrong with Honda synthetic 0w-20 oil and filter, getting it from dealer might be on the expensive side. Walmart has decent everyday prices on oil and you can get filters from AAP pretty cheap when using coupon codes, or get one of the oil change specials going on (currently AAP castrol edge titanium or syntec bogo or special with bosch d+, or autozone mobil 1 oil and filter or PP or PU or valvoline synpower specials). Some people might have actual experience with a honda pilot, or preference on brand, I have neither.

Owner's manual for 2013 pilot seems to spec 0W-20, should stick with that for warranty. http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/OM/ZA1313/ZA1313OM.pdf

Originally Posted By: Vikas

You should give more weight to advice from strangers on the internet than the one given in your owners manual. What does Honda know about the engine? They only designed it but the strangers on the internet really use them daily and they know it better than the manufacturer.

He's asking for recommendations in light of the fact that there have been two instances of engine damage (to a similar vehicle) due to what may possibly be an over optimistic oil change interval and or oil specification.

Is it any different than making the same request (regarding the GM premature timing chain wear incident) 6 months before they issued a TSB and recall on them? Subsequently reprogramming the OLM's for shorter oil change intervals.

There are times where it is prudent to question what's in an owner's manual. If someone is only asking if they should err on the side of caution - I say they are asking the right question and in the right place.

Based on what I know about this VCM issue, I would probably not be greatly concerned unless my usage included long highway trips.

However, regardless I would use a top quality synthetic oil (Mobil 1 would be my personal choice) and a Honda A01 (FilTech) filter. I would run 7500/12months/15% whichever came first unless UOA's indicate longer is suitable.

Vikas is correct. Honda's OCI is based of the OLM which calculates speed, drive time, rpm, oil temperature etc... I had a 2010 Pilot and my first oil change was at 12,000 miles. Honda also uses a break in additive for their engines and states not to change the oil prematurely (unless something has changed for the 2013 models). What I can tell you is over the 12,000 mile first change I burned almost half a quart of oil which I as told is normal so don't panic but make sure to check your dipstick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back