Toro 521 snowblower auger gearbox grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1985 Toro snowblower (Model #38052) and the auger gearbox is leaking oil (very slowly). I've read online that replacing the oil with a grease will likely stop the leak. Toro's specifications say to use Lubriplate MAG-1 grease, I cannot find that in any stores locally and the guy at the parts store told me to just put any old grease in there. Does anyone have a recommendation for what type of grease I can use?

Thanks, Matt

Last edited:
Thanks, the original manual says to use SAE 90 EP transmission oil. I'm assuming that is what's in there now that is leaking out. When I look at Toro's website they've updated the specifications and no longer recommend the gear oil but instead the Lubriplate MAG-1 grease.

My old Ariens leaked at the diff also due to the seals shrinking. I've kept it filled with #2 Schaeffer's moly ultra extreme pressure grease for the past 3 seasons. Still going strong, it squeezes out a little amount over time, nothing to messy though.

That MAG-1 grease is EP also, would probably work just as well for you.

Grease has tackifiers that gear oil does not. The consensus is right that it should stay put better.

Something is not right. If they are hypoid gears (A hypoid is a type of spiral bevel gear whose axis does not intersect with the axis of the meshing gear.) they should always use gear oil around 90W. The gears in my Airens snowblower are hypoid.

Putting grease into a gear box containing hypoid gears is not correct.

I would get the seal fixed. Check what kind of gears are in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back