Mobil 1 0W40 in SUZUKI K-Series gasoline engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I have been using Mobil 1 in a 1 year old Suzuki Alto car with 998 cc 3 cyl K-Series gasoline MPFI engine. The recommended oil is 5W30. With 0W40 I have been experiencing a better responsiveness but FE has been decreased significantly say around 1.5 KM drop per liter of gasoline. With stock engine oil it used to return 16.5 kmpl but now with 0w40 its constantly returning 15 kmpl. And I also came to know this M1 0W40 oil contains relatively more amount of Zinc and Phosphorus which is not good for catalytic converter. Should I continue to use this oil up to next oil change or I should change the oil right now ?

Try a 0W30 weight like German Castrol 0w30 , M1 has a 0w30 weight as well. Not sure what all is available in your market.

Not sure why you think it has zinc and phosphurous at levels bad for a catalytic converter? It is now API SN rated which would indicate the opposite is true. Even if you still find the SM rated I would not be concerned about the cat.

I do not see anything wrong with your choice of oil however as mentioned the Mobil 1 0w-30 AFE would also be a good choice if available.

Just my $.02 as I am not an expert.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, the M1 0w40 oil I bought having API SL/SM/SN spec.Over here in India, M1 only comes with 0W40 and 5W50. 0W30 could have been better choice if it was available, I agree.

IIRC, I saw a chart once that showed relative amounts of Zn/Ph within the M1 product lineup. The 0W-40 had slightly more than the API/ILSAC fuel economy grades, but nothing that I would concern myself with as far as damage to catalytic converters. After all, the 0W-40 is recommended and certified for use in BMW, Mercedes, etc, and they all have cats, right? I would not hesitate to continue to use the 0W-40. It is a quality oil. Hard for us to recommend something else, as we are not familiar with what is available to you over there.

This is very informative to me. So, there is nothing to worry about catalytic converters due to little more amount of Zn and Ph in M1. In India, Suzuki is the most prominent name in passenger car market. For past 2/3 years they all converted their gasoline engines to K-Series engines of different cubic capacities. It says its all Aluminum (Al)engine with more plastic kind of parts inside (pardon my little knowledge about engines). And 5W30 is recommended for all those Suzuki cars. There are 5W30, 10W30, 20W50/40 and 15W40 are mostly used among mineral and semi synth category of oils. M1 sales 0W40 and 5W50 and some other brands sales 5W40 , and these are the only 3 grades available in synthetic category. I was kind of fan of M1 oils as I heard a lot about it but was unaware that the 0W40 could reduce the FE. Although its very marginal but still impacts on wallet when the car runs long. A good semi synthetic oil is available in market that is Castrol Magnatec API SN and ILSAC GF5. Its written over the pack as 'Fuel Saver'. The color of the oil is yellowish which is very near match of M1 but price is much low as 1/3rd of M1. But again,another question, whether it would be good to switch from M1 full synthetic to magnatec semi synth only after 3 months of usage with M1. Please advice.

Originally Posted By: abhisek
Hi, I have been using Mobil 1 in a 1 year old Suzuki Alto car with 998 cc 3 cyl K-Series gasoline MPFI engine. The recommended oil is 5W30. With 0W40 I have been experiencing a better responsiveness but FE has been decreased significantly say around 1.5 KM drop per liter of gasoline. With stock engine oil it used to return 16.5 kmpl but now with 0w40 its constantly returning 15 kmpl. And I also came to know this M1 0W40 oil contains relatively more amount of Zinc and Phosphorus which is not good for catalytic converter. Should I continue to use this oil up to next oil change or I should change the oil right now ?

Mobil 1 0w40 does not have catalyst-damaging amounts of Zinc or Phosphorous, it is the factory lubricant for a host of different applications, all of which have catalytic converters and has the certifications for many more, all of which have cats as well. This is NOT something to be concerned about.

Thanks for the reply. Please let me know if I go to Castrol Magnatec 5W30 API SN ILSAC GF5 in next oil change, would it cause any problem ? considering that I am currently using M1 fully synth and switching to a semi synth (Hydro cracked) oil.

I think you will find that Mobil 1 now contains hydro cracked basestocks.

Not sure what ACEA spec your car needs but there are two Castrol Magnatec oils available easily in the UK, ignoring the ones labeled "Professional".

There is the A1/B1, A5/B5 version for Ford and Volvos etc, which has lower HTHS limits (2.9>3.5) and is a fuel economy oil. It is usually marked up for Ford vehicles and previously for Zetec engines.

The other 5w30 is an A3/B3/B4 oil so the HTHS will be 3.5> and it is usually marked up for Vauxhall engines in the UK.

Both these oils are Full Synth using hydrocracked basestocks.

I would be more than happy to use either oil in your Suzuki.

Or due to the availability of Mobil 1 you could always stick with what you have, I suspect that it will give your car a long and happy life.

I have used both Magnatec and Mobil 1 in several vehicles over the last 6/7 years with no oil related issues.

Do you know what the sulphur levels of your fuel are in India?

What oil change interval are you doing.

I usually advise my in laws in Ghana to change the oil every 6k at most, normally no more than six months.

Hi bigjl, Thanks for going into detail.

I have rechecked the owner's manual of my car and there is no mention of ACEA spec in engine oil section. There is only a chart as below:

----------------10W40---------------->
----------------10W30---------------->

C -30 -20 -10 0 10 20 30 40
----|-----|-----|----|----|-----|-----|------|---(Temperature)
F -22 -4 14 32 50 68 86 104

And the below paragraph

" Be sure that the engine oil you use comes
under the quality classification of SG+, SL
& SJ. Select the appropriate oil viscosity
according to the above chart.
SAE 5W30 (1) is the best choice for good
fuel economy, and good starting in cold
weather."

I am not sure about the level of sulphur used in fuel (petrol/gasoline) in India. But fuel quality is not that good all over there.I personally try to buy fuel from a reputed fuel station , but that's only a gut feeling.

Its relatively new car (1 year old) and the change interval mentioned as 10000 kms or 1 year whichever comes earlier but I did the first oil change (from stock oil to M1 0W40) after 6700 kms.

I am not sure which interval would be good with M1. Should I stick to 10000 Kms + or change it after say 6K to 7K kms.

Please advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back