Here I go again.New ford truck burning 5w20 oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brand new ford E450 2012 with 1410 miles.Checked the oil on wed and down a quart of 5/20 factory fill.Dropped it off at the dealer thurs nite,did an oil chenge and was told to keep an eye on it.The truck has the V10 and carries very heavy loads.The dealer did say they mite bump the oil up to 5w30.whats your thought on this?

Keep every piece of paper each time you take it to the dealer and for each oil change and purchase of top off oil.

Did the OM have any recommendations regarding the first X number of miles of use?

Did you load the engine right out of gate?

I'd certainly wait for many thousands of miles prior to rendering a decision on what might be in store

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hounddog
Its brand new! Post back at 12,000 miles.

+1 It takes a while for some new engines to stop using oil. OTOH I'd be willing to make a very big bet that Ford will claim 1,000 miles/qt of oil or even less than 1,000 miles is considered normal. Interesting that the dealer even mentioned bumping up to 5W30..........
27.gif

VW have long regarded a litre per thousand miles as normal consumption. First time I found that was informed of that was in early ninties.

I would also not be overly concerned till the vehicle has at least 10/12k on it.

Vehicles driven heavily loaded at high speed will always tend to use some oil.

A quart in 1400 hard miles doesn't seem bad. That is less than litre.

Bump up to the 5w30 and see if that works. Keep receipts and document that the dealer told you to use this viscosity.

Was it full from the get go or is this the first time u ever checked the fill.

Originally Posted By: hounddog
Its brand new! Post back at 12,000 miles.

If the rings haven't seated by 1500 miles they ain't gonna seat. Probably a bad hone job on the block

They changed the oil with 5w20 and sisd keep an eye on it.If it keeps using oil the next chnage there going to bump it up to 5w30.I was kinda shocked they would admit to go up a grade since ford swears by 5/20.

I like the professional approach: quote( bump it to 5w30 ), could have said, just a moment sir, let me call Ford Motor Engineering. geezeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...

Originally Posted By: nickaluch
I was kinda shocked they would admit to go up a grade since ford swears by 5/20.

Me too, especially with all the testing they claim to have done with it.

There is an old trick to seat stubburn rings. You pour small amouts of powdered detergent down the carb while its running. I dont know if that is even possible with your engine but I have seen a few oldtimers do it and it worked. You could also try spraying carb cleaner in while its running. The point is to wash the cylinder walls down so friction gets high and the rings seat.

But if you buy a new truck it should just work from day one!

Originally Posted By: nickaluch
Brand new ford E450 2012 with 1410 miles.Checked the oil on wed and down a quart of 5/20 factory fill.Dropped it off at the dealer thurs nite,did an oil chenge and was told to keep an eye on it.The truck has the V10 and carries very heavy loads.The dealer did say they mite bump the oil up to 5w30.whats your thought on this?

Carrying heavy loads within limits will make almost no difference to an engine if you drive it correctly. Blackstones have some good UOA's of towing and there is no increase in wear metals.
The high oil consumption has occured too early for this to be thin oil victim, so I would defintely keep the receipts and letters just in case something has not bedded in or was not fitted correctly or damaged during final assembly. Remember what the dealers says is of no real use unless it's on camera, so you need letters and company e mails, just in case this turns out to be a main block defect.
The Ford CAFE hit squad will shoot any dealer that mentions a non 20 grade, unless it's in the book under severe service use. Next thing the dealer might even suggest a better oil like a full synthetic 0/30 if he wants to get fired.
90% chance nothing is wrong and the oil consumption falls, but the other 10% could involve a new engine and don't forget that some engines will burn oil at sustained high power settings.

Last edited:
Unless you're burning oil at a rate of about a qt/500 miles I doubt they'll do anything. Funny how the EPA is so strict with emissions levels, yet burning a qt of oil in 1,000 miles or less is considered by car makers to be OK, and nothing is done about it.

That's the problem with regulation in the US. It's a compromise so there's always a problem with it. In places like Germany where it is not seen as a dirty word, the regulation is smarter and benefits consumers and industry alike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back