Best way to transport freezer in Forester

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure about Sears, but Lowes charges a fixed price if they deliver one brick or a pallet.

Many people would underestimate what a pallet of bricks weigh. And say they only have to go a few miles. The smart people had a trailer that could handle tons. A few loaded a ton into a 1/2 ton pickup. One guy filled up the trunk of a VW Jetta with brick. It was pretty low to the ground, not very smart if you ask me.

One lady wanted a cast iron boiler loaded into her mini van with our reach truck. She was insistent but so was I (not doing it.) I got a asst. manager to talk to her. Latter in the day it was put back up on the racking.

Originally Posted By: Joe1

I purchased a 13.7 cubic foot upright freezer for in store pickup at Sears. I was too cheap to pay the 69 dollar delivery charge so opted for in store pickup even though I don't know if the Subaru can handle this.

Here are the options I am thinking of:

A. Remove the thing from the box and see if it will fit with the rear seat down and hatch opened.

B. Put my trailer cargo hitch carrier on which is 60" x 20 x 6" and stand it upright in the box and tie it down good.

c. Throw it on the roof rack cross bars and tie it down.

d. Quit being a cheapskate and pay the delivery charge.

The store is about 1 mile away so I wont be going fast or transporting it far. ALl opinions welcomed.

E. His Enterprise and rent a pickup of cargo van with one of their $10.99/day weekend special offers.
smile.gif
Total investment: maybe $30. (2 days, plus tax and gas.)

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Originally Posted By: Joe1
Thanks for the advice guys. I played it safe and got it delivered. I just didn't want the hassle of dealing with it during the holidays.

I support your decision. Sometimes you can be tempted by what my grandmother called "false economy." Occasionally, it's OK to think like a rich person. After all, we are some of the richest people in the world. How often do you buy such things? Will the delivery charge break you, or are you just playing the "cheapo" game?

Just on principal, I absolutely, flatly refuse to pay delivery charges on most things!

Originally Posted By: Donald
Not sure about Sears, but Lowes charges a fixed price if they deliver one brick or a pallet.

Many people would underestimate what a pallet of bricks weigh. And say they only have to go a few miles. The smart people had a trailer that could handle tons. A few loaded a ton into a 1/2 ton pickup. One guy filled up the trunk of a VW Jetta with brick. It was pretty low to the ground, not very smart if you ask me.

One lady wanted a cast iron boiler loaded into her mini van with our reach truck. She was insistent but so was I (not doing it.) I got a asst. manager to talk to her. Latter in the day it was put back up on the racking.

I brought two pallets of paving bricks home with my old truck...the dude on the forklift was amazed the load only made it squat maybe two inches. It was a 15-20 mile drive, and I picked up my friend and the skid-steer on the way home. I recall the place wanted $90 to deliver the 2 pallets!

For the record, the truck handled 3000lbs of bricks and a skid-steer trailer with no drama except for being a bit slow on hills.

Seems like the age-old question arises. What is worth more to you, your time and effort, or your money? If the delivery fee for an appliance you buy once every twenty years or so is too high for you, then by all means, do whatever it takes to save that fee that will cause you to lose your house and become homeless.

If it makes you feel good to do it yourself at all costs then go for it.

Unbelievable!

To get saved from scamming and hassle free delivery of goods, we need to depend upon such quality shippers that are really professional and dependable. Those who owes the complete responsibility of goods until and unless the consignment is shipped to client.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back