Advantages/Disadvantages of high mileage oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All:

I'm just curious. I'm sure that this topic has been discussed previously, but as many of you have said, the search function just stinks. Are there any positives or negatives running a high mileage oil in older cars without leaks or excessive oil usage? Here is a quick rundown of the cars, the maintenance and condition:
1. '03 Accord - 2.4 litre - 133,000 miles - Usually use PP 5w-20 (I'm running Peak synthetic 5w-20 - got it on sale for 1.95 a quart) with Pureone filter - sticking with recommended 5 month/5000 mile OCI - mixed driving. No leaks, no usage, all original seals.
2. '02 CR-V - same engine - 119,000 miles - Usually QS green bottle 5w-20 with Puro classic filter - same OCI as above - same condition.
3. '95 Mercury GM - 152,600 - new rear main bearing seal - slight seapage around valve cover - no big deal - very little consumption with new PCV valve valve stem seals appear to be OK - Currently using Valvoline Nextgen 5w-30 (FAR) but will switch to QS Green 5w-30 (got some on sale at Menards) after stash is finished - Puro classic filter but have just purchased some Motorcrafts on sale.

All vehicles impecably maintained - driven conservatively. No sludge or varnish - clean.
I think that I know the answer; there is probably no need to switch. Anyhow, are there any experiences/opinions? Thanks.

Only disadvantage is it costs more (usually, sometimes on sale its moot). Most HM oils just have a little extra additives to prevent consumption, maybe a little better additive package for older cars (more antiwear additives).

Using M1 HM in the Camry I have put off gasket/seal repairs so long they aren't worth repairing anymore because of the miles. May just sell it this way. If your a full syn user, its a HM oil to consider.

If no excessive consumption or any leaks, then no real reason to use HM. Sometimes HM oils have higher viscosity, so that could also affect fuel economy.

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
If no excessive consumption or any leaks, then no real reason to use HM. Sometimes HM oils have higher viscosity, so that could also affect fuel economy.

+1 Good point but most likely the even of you saw a decrease in MPG's it would be negligible. I think the benefits of using an HM oil would negate decreased fuel economy. I would go ahead and use the HM if there are good sales. If not just stick with what you are doing and change the oil/filter at reasonable intervals.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
yes. According to everything I've read once you start you cannot stop.

A lot of oil vendors are adamant that the additives you're talking about are not seal swellers. They call them seal conditioners. They help to re-condition old dried out seals that have already lost or are losing their elasticity. If you stop using HM oil then those seals will go back to their old condition as some point and may start leaking, but it's not like starting and quitting HM oil diet will make your _good_ seals leak if you're using the HM oil on a newish car. Either way, there should be no harm to use HM oil on any car as long as the oil meets the manufacturer's requirements/approvals.

The way I see it, a typical HM oil gives you this:

1. Synthetic blend formula (usually, see Maxlife, Defy, etc)
2. Usually but not always thicker oil than regular, but nonetheless stays within the stated grade (e.g. Maxlife and Castrol HM are thicker than conventional of the same vendor, Mobil Super 5000 HM is not)
3. Seal conditioners.
4. Much stronger detergent.

Originally Posted By: Petersubaru
probably best to avoid.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6HmEqFdeIY

First, all oils have seal conditioners. HM oils just have more. Second, HM oil makers refer to seal conditioners, not seal "swellers"; "swellers" are the product you can buy separately in the aftermarket if you have a big problem. Third, Valvoline and other HM oil makers say it's perfectly safe to switch back and forth between HM and non-HM oils, though it seems fair to assume the HM benefit on seals would then regress to its starting point. Fourth, if this were the case, you would see reports of HM "addiction" plastered all over this forum; I don't recall seeing any.

I've had mechanics tell me this same story. But a great mechanic is not automatically a great tribologist; they go by supposition, lore and really small sample sizes as much as we do. Wonder if the guy in the video also suggests avoiding Quaker State?

Originally Posted By: Danh

First, all oils have seal conditioners. HM oils just have more. Second, HM oil makers refer to seal conditioners, not seal "swellers"; "swellers" are the product you can buy separately in the aftermarket if you have a big problem. Third, Valvoline and other HM oil makers say it's perfectly safe to switch back and forth between HM and non-HM oils, though it seems fair to assume the HM benefit on seals would then regress to its starting point. Fourth, if this were the case, you would see reports of HM "addiction" plastered all over this forum; I don't recall seeing any.

I've had mechanics tell me this same story. But a great mechanic is not automatically a great tribologist; they go by supposition, lore and really small sample sizes as much as we do. Wonder if the guy in the video also suggests avoiding Quaker State?

Right.. plus what is wrong with more additives?

Originally Posted By: Danh

01.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Valvoline also claims you can use MaxLife in a new car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back