Looking at 1994 Toyota SR5 truck; Need guidance

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found a 1994 Toyota extended cab SR5 with 155,000 on the 3.0 v6 and automatic transmission. They are asking $3,950. I have done some basic research and it appears that this model of truck had head gasket problems. I have not contacted the seller yet but what are common problems on this truck? Is the mileage high for the motor or does it have another 150k in it? Things to look for that are model specific?

Rust is a big one for this vintage Toyota and head gasket problems plagued the 3.0. Some say the heads must be milled flat and others say the block has to be milled flat (compared to the factory effort). I had one in high school and popped 3 head gaskets, finally took out the motor and had the machine shop deck the heads and block. Put it all back together and popped another head gasket a year later. All in all replaced the motor, transmission, and the bed in 160k miles. The frame was pretty much rusted through and the transfer case was on its way out when the last head gasket problem showed up. IMO, find one with the 22RE and call it a day.

Last edited:
ECU pretty much got it: head gaskets and rust. Also, I'm not sure when Toyota switched their A/C to R-134a...being an old and soon-to-be dropped design, the 1994 truck might still use R-12.

I would pass on it especially with the automatic.. they're dogs. I had an 89 5spd 4x4 with the 3.0. The head gasket went on the previous owner at around 128k. I bought it at 157k and drove it about 31k miles over an 8 year period. Didn't have any head gasket problems during that time and it saw rpm's past red line many times in part due to it being a 3.slow.

Find one with a stick shift or at least move up to a 98 or so with the 3.4 V6 if you really want a toyota with an automatic. The first few years of the 3.4 had some head gasket problems also if I recall correctly.

i would pass also. in addition to hg problems cylinder #6 likes to burn valves do to the cross over design. alot of people source headers to combat the valve and hg problem. go just a little newer and you get the 3.4L which is way more reliable. mike

Thanks for the input as I was planning on looking at it today. I will just keep looking. Thanks!

4K for an eighteen year old Toyota minitruck?
If the thing had 100K fewer miles, worth a look.
With 155K?
I wouldn't even bother to look.
There are better buys in newer full size Ford and GM trucks.
If I wanted a mini pickup, I'd be looking for a four cylinder five speed manual Ranger.
JMHO

It might be worth it it was rust free. if the rockers, cab corners are gone and the frame looks rusty, forget it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back