Pennzoil Ultra 5w-20 SN/GF-5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pennzoil%20Ultra%20SN%20GF-5%20VOA.png

VOA done before my 1,001 mile UOA after installing my bypass setup.

Originally Posted By: Darren270
The chart says Pennzoil Platinum. Or is that just a typo?

They may not have Ultra in their system for some reason. I put Ultra on the paperwork.

IMO......I best way for a VOA is to leave the NAME of the oil blank. Then see how close the VOA results are to others running the same oil.

IMO....From seeing some of the results of VOA's sometimes they are in the ballpark.

IMO....Some of these labs MAY just "cut and paste" results if the VOA had been taken in the past......

Who knows for sure???????

Remember to .......

The SM version had a higher TBN of around 12 or so. 10,000KM is nothing. I plan to run this out to around 20,000 miles.

Wow run it to 20k miles? [censored]. that's pretty long.. 9.1 TBN would be able to do 20k easily?

Wow.. the old one has 12? [censored].. wonder why they reduced the TBN on the latest PU..

Originally Posted By: mauric3
Wow run it to 20k miles? [censored]. that's pretty long.. 9.1 TBN would be able to do 20k easily?

Wow.. the old one has 12? [censored].. wonder why they reduced the TBN on the latest PU..

I have a bypass filter and a 2 quart increase in oil capacity. That will make it easier for me to push it that far.

Nice calcium, ZDDP, and boron levels!
thumbsup2.gif

I wonder if they are using the newer 'trimer' moly they (SOPUS) jointly co-developed with XOM in this, hence the low(ish) level of that AW agent?
21.gif

wow the pennzoil ultra has a tbn of 9.1? Thats pretty good!
smile.gif
so with 9.1 TBN.. that would be able to do 10k km OCI?

In a clean,well maintained engine 10000 miles isn't even breaking a sweat. It's their top tier oil. If it can't do 15000 miles why even bother with it.

The tbn may be lower however the SN version retains its tbn for longer. It starts with less but it lasts longer.

I just did a complete oil change today with a 5L jug of SN 5w-20 ultra and a quart of devlac elite 222 0w-30.
I had liqui-moly 0w-40 with a quart of pp 0w-20 prior to this sump fill. Oil temps have risen 10f on the highway with the new oil,top end is slightly more noisy. I used a fram ultra this time so no filter changes for a while now.
PU is the cream of the crop. Shell's marketing department dropped the ball real bad marketing it.
I don't get understand where their heads are at. They've got platinum as their premium line which is able to do 10000 mile drains then they've got ultra which is the premium plus line which can do 15000 miles but they don't market it that way.
They should have it up beside M1 EP,Amsoil signature series and so on. Its a long drain oil but only us bitogers are aware of it.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
thumbsup2.gif

I wonder if they are using the newer 'trimer' moly they (SOPUS) jointly co-developed with XOM in this, hence the low(ish) level of that AW agent?
21.gif

They must be. Since they are partners in that venture why wouldn't they also use it. Mobil can't have it exclusively can they?

Originally Posted By: Clevy
thumbsup2.gif

21.gif

They must be. Since they are partners in that venture why wouldn't they also use it. Mobil can't have it exclusively can they?

No, but then WHY does XOM themselves ONLY use it in their sub-contracted TGMO brew (or so everyone on here claims they do), and NOT in their 'top shelf/premium', meets/beats ALL specs, 0W-40, or even their EP line??!
confused2.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
Mobil uses the trimer moly in more than that. They use it in their Delvac line, for instance. They state that fact plainly on their website.

Do you happen to know what other lines of theirs they put it in (we get VERY FEW, limited, Delvac products down here south of the border, and NO Elite 222 0W-30 like you get
frown.gif
)??

IS it actually in their EP line, and the 0W-40?
21.gif

I had someone (who used to be on here A LOT in the 'old days', and is now a 'boutique oil' distributor/internet seller) tell me that this stuff is NOT cheap, especially when compared to almost ALL other AW compounds, save for the nanotech compounds.

What does NOT make ANY sense is how the TGMO can be sold for so little comparitive coin with this trimer moly, and the newest, high tech, asteric VIIs in it (unless they are selling it at a loss?).
confused2.gif

Mobil uses the trimer moly in more than that. They use it in their Delvac line, for instance. They state that fact plainly on their website.

Do you happen to know what other lines of theirs they put it in (we get VERY FEW, limited, Delvac products down here south of the border, and NO Elite 222 0W-30 like you get
frown.gif
)??

IS it actually in their EP line, and the 0W-40?
21.gif

I had someone (who used to be on here A LOT in the 'old days', and is now a 'boutique oil' distributor/internet seller) tell me that this stuff is NOT cheap, especially when compared to almost ALL other AW compounds, save for the nanotech compounds.

What does NOT make ANY sense is how the TGMO can be sold for so little comparitive coin with this trimer moly, and the newest, high tech, asteric VIIs in it (unless they are selling it at a loss?).
confused2.gif

I doubt its being sold at a loss however since the tgmo isn't advertised that cost isn't transfered to the consumer and no sponsorship money being spent either.
My guess is that all oils cost what Toyota sells theirs for until the extras are tacked on.
Just guessing though.

I'm not sure what other oils they put it in, but I'd be willing to wager that it's in many of them. After all, they didn't cooperatively come up with it just to hoard it or use it solely in Delvac products. I wouldn't be too fixated on one ingredient in any case.

As for TGMO being sold cheaply, it's amazing what happens when a fortune isn't spent on marketing and the markup isn't through the roof on top of it. Oddly enough, I get Delvac 1 at a similar price to conventional up here.

I'm not sure what other oils they put it in, but I'd be willing to wager that it's in many of them. After all, they didn't cooperatively come up with it just to hoard it or use it solely in Delvac products. I wouldn't be too fixated on one ingredient in any case.

As for TGMO being sold cheaply, it's amazing what happens when a fortune isn't spent on marketing and the markup isn't through the roof on top of it. Oddly enough, I get Delvac 1 at a similar price to conventional up here.

Exactly. I found devlac 222 0w-30 in the 5 gallon pails for only a few bucks more than conventional rotella sells for at wal-mart,so decent prices are definitely out there for us Canadians if a person looks hard enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back