by 06VtecV6
Today at 02:27 AM
Time on oil filter before degrading??
by Ponch
Today at 01:05 AM
Penrite 5w-40 Diesel 5 semi-syn - tail pipe
by virginoil
Today at 12:35 AM
Funny type of "Good Book" verse...............

by daves66nova
Today at 12:23 AM
a decent white outdoor paint....
by daves66nova
Today at 12:10 AM
Need to buy a chainsaw
by asoduk
Yesterday at 10:49 PM
1978 ford lights flicker
by Jakegday
Yesterday at 10:30 PM
Mobil 1 vs Mobil Super 2000 HM
by goser
Yesterday at 09:49 PM
F1 - 2014 Belgian Grand Prix
by gofast182
Yesterday at 09:30 PM
99 Avalon vs 98 Olds 88 LSS
by clarkflower
Yesterday at 08:53 PM
Ice Bucket Challenge...
by Warstud
Yesterday at 08:13 PM
Newest Members
JRATT, kompot, Roooob, BrotherMichigan, CEHepp
51058 Registered Users
Who's Online
44 registered (Bandito440, 05LGTLtd, Bama, Brad_C, bourne, Apollo14, 5 invisible), 866 Guests and 178 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
51058 Members
64 Forums
218179 Topics
3439392 Posts

Max Online: 2862 @ 07/07/14 03:10 PM
Donate to BITOG

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2832679 - 12/12/12 01:57 PM Re: Techron dosing... [Re: Vikas]
cutter Offline

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Originally Posted By: Vikas
Anybody wants to send a bottle to Blackstone for analysis?

There should be an account where members can donate whatever money they have to have to purchase a lab sample. There will be a poll or thread of the week for a particular product to be tested. Then each members throws in a quarter or whatever and a sample is done and posted. Blackstone can even host this.

#2832707 - 12/12/12 02:24 PM Re: Techron dosing... [Re: pbm]
Vikas Offline

Loc: NorthEast
I suspect we must have some chemical engineers who can at least tells us if Walmart version is more concentrated than the AAP version. I mean most electrical engineers have their own multimeter and soldering iron at their home. I presume chemical engineers have (at least access to) Gas Chromatograph in their workshop :-)

#2832731 - 12/12/12 02:42 PM Re: Techron dosing... [Re: Vikas]
demarpaint Offline

Loc: NY
Originally Posted By: Vikas
I suspect we must have some chemical engineers who can at least tells us if Walmart version is more concentrated than the AAP version. I mean most electrical engineers have their own multimeter and soldering iron at their home. I presume chemical engineers have (at least access to) Gas Chromatograph in their workshop :-)

Tough to presume anything here. LOL smile

#2832839 - 12/12/12 04:20 PM Re: Techron dosing... [Re: cchase]
Obos Offline

Loc: Eugene OR
Originally Posted By: cchase
Originally Posted By: Obos
These different sizes and concentrations have been around for a while

In fact, Walmart actually ask all suppliers for concentrated versions in order to reduce supply chain costs

This, while an interesting notion, is not proof that the Walmart version is more concentrated. Chevrons site does not split their products up by destination, nor does it offer multiple MSDS/PDS information.

I'm suspect that it's any different than the volumes found at other stores.

There was a separate PDS on walmarts website that I checked and compared against chevrons own PDS

The labeling also said concentrated when I purchased it from Walmart a couple of years ago

And lastly, you could just believe what the manufacturer says especially when the Walmart size is not sold where the 12oz and 20oz size is sold. Companies like to make specific versions of products to make price comparison harder and they like to make money but they aren't pathological liars to the extent that they would mislead on the treat rate of a product they invented. They need it to work for their reputation as well

#2832935 - 12/12/12 05:53 PM Re: Techron dosing... [Re: Obos]
cchase Offline

Loc: New England
These different sizes and concentrations have been around for a while

In fact, Walmart actually ask all suppliers for concentrated versions in order to reduce supply chain costs

This, while an interesting notion, is not proof that the Walmart version is more concentrated. Chevrons site does not split their products up by destination, nor does it offer multiple MSDS/PDS information.

I'm suspect that it's any different than the volumes found at other stores.

There was a separate PDS on walmarts website that I checked and compared against chevrons own PDS

The labeling also said concentrated when I purchased it from Walmart a couple of years ago

And lastly, you could just believe what the manufacturer says especially when the Walmart size is not sold where the 12oz and 20oz size is sold. Companies like to make specific versions of products to make price comparison harder and they like to make money but they aren't pathological liars to the extent that they would mislead on the treat rate of a product they invented. They need it to work for their reputation as well

Link?

If I believe the manufacturer (Chevron), I would come to the conclusion that the Walmart product is no different since they (Chevron) do not provide separate data for the Walmart version... Its has nothing to do with whether anyone is lying.

#2832992 - 12/12/12 06:50 PM Re: Techron dosing... [Re: pbm]
Obos Offline

Loc: Eugene OR
I think they give a % range for the ingredients so from that perspective they are covered.

On the other hand they removed PEA from the MSDS so that may change what you decide to believe

But I simply go by the fact that they invented pea and are telling you how much a particular bottle will treat.

#2833041 - 12/12/12 07:34 PM Re: Techron dosing... [Re: Obos]
Garak Offline

Loc: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

Thankfully, our WM has actually started stocking the proper Regane products. Their price isn't any smoking deal, but they haven't had it long enough to see what rollbacks will be like yet, either.

2008 Infiniti G37 coupe - Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40, Hastings LF113
1984 F-150 4.9L six - Quaker State GB 10w-30, Wix 51515

#2833903 - 12/13/12 03:00 PM Re: Techron dosing... [Re: pbm]
cchase Offline

Loc: New England
Originally Posted By: Chevron Customer Support
The 10 oz size of Techron was developed specifically for Wal-Mart, as you have noticed. The reason was so Wal-Mart only had to stock one size of bottle. You are correct, the difference is the concentration of PEA. The 12 and 20 oz containers are the standard sizes for the Techron Concentrate Plus which are found in outlets other than Wal-Mart.

#2835638 - 12/15/12 08:58 AM Re: Techron dosing... [Re: cchase]
pbm Offline

Loc: New York
The 10 oz size of Techron was developed specifically for Wal-Mart, as you have noticed. The reason was so Wal-Mart only had to stock one size of bottle. You are correct, the difference is the concentration of PEA. The 12 and 20 oz containers are the standard sizes for the Techron Concentrate Plus which are found in outlets other than Wal-Mart.

Thanks for doing the legwork CChase.....I guess I'll have to believe Chevron on this one...

#2841113 - 12/19/12 06:09 PM Re: Techron dosing... [Re: pbm]
pbm Offline

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: pbm

Thanks for doing the legwork CChase.....I guess I'll have to believe Chevron on this one...

..while in WM yesterday I looked at the 10 ounce bottle of Techron again.....it did say something about it being 'more concentrated' on the paper banner attached to the neck of the bottle (which I discarded for storage purposes)...

#2841226 - 12/19/12 07:23 PM Re: Techron dosing... [Re: pbm]
mechtech2 Offline

Loc: Chicago Area
Techron comes in different flavors - different strengths.
Some are injector cleaners, and some SYSTEM cleaners.

Nothing wrong with a stronger dose at all.

#2841414 - 12/19/12 10:03 PM Re: Techron dosing... [Re: pbm]
LeakySeals Offline

Loc: MA
I bought 2 1/2 price 20oz techron concentrate plus bottles tonight at AAP. Noticed the label - treats only 5 gals more than the walmart 10oz techron concentrate plus bottle. So here I am wondering the same thing.

Trying to figure out whats going on...There is more to techron concentrate plus than PEA. Other ingredients including a lube/protectant. Can they/would they concentrate all the ingredients to keep the mixture balanced? Would they add or subtract the % of different ingredients? More PEA, less lube/protectant? Just for walmart? I doubt they would do that. I can see packaging a different bottle, but not modifying the assembly or chemistry of the product, would think thats a huge costly undertaking. Maybe its more of a range, and the dosage is not as precise as we think?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2