ford e450 v10?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need a new cutaway box truck.Went to ford and he has one on the lot.E450 V10 motor with a Reading 17 ft box.The truck I have now is a ford e 350 with the 5.4 v8 15 ft box.I do need a bigger box so I have to go with the e450 but i want the v8 but has to be special ordered and will cost more money.He wants to make a deal on the v10 one because he wants to get rid of it.I had great luck with the v8 and thinking the v10 is over kill.on top of the power from the v10 is way down because of the engine placement.the truck will be used for NYC deliveries so power is really not needed and so dont want a ford diesel.Wich truck should i get?

Originally Posted By: Chris142
The v10 Ford has problems in motorhomes. Everything from spitting sparkplugs to broken cranks. I'm not impressed with it at all.

IMO it's more troublesome than the V8's.

They do have problems in motorhomes. People speculate that it's because the motorhomes sit all the time.

If you're carrying a load, the V10 is going to get better mileage than the V8. The triton V8s do well, but suck gas with any kind of load ... especially in a 1 ton + truck.

you guys are crazy the V10 is an EXCELLENT engine. It is an extended 5.4.. Seen many with 400k miles being beat on daily..

I'd say it's an excellent engine also. I have a friend with a super duty with the V-10. He's approaching 250k on it so I'd say it is pretty good. The 5.4 V-8 is pretty darn tough too. I worked for Scott's Lawn a few years ago and they used the Ford vans with that engine. These vans were used and abused and got an oil change once a year if the truck needed other items fixed, otherwise they may skip a year. Oil always looked nasty but the engines took the abuse. We had lots of other things break on them but that 5.4 took the abuse. I don't think you can go wrong with either engine.

Originally Posted By: DrDusty86
you guys are crazy the V10 is an EXCELLENT engine. It is an extended 5.4.. Seen many with 400k miles being beat on daily..
the split pin crankshaft is a weak point.

As I recall they had exhaust manifold problems with either the V10 or the 460 V8 or both. The cure was a stainless steel manifold for about $800 each! I think the problem was certain years and then it was cured.

I have a repair estimate on a church bus that was being offered to my church for free. It was a 1999 Cutaway E350 with a V10 and 90,000 miles. The repair estimate is dated April 2012 and is from a Ford garage and includes the following:

Exhaust Manifold 674-780 1 ea at $847.10
Exhaust Manifold 674-781 1 ea at $851.17
Exhaust Manifold R&R (both) at $722.50

This is an earlier V10 though.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
The v10 Ford has problems in motorhomes. Everything from spitting sparkplugs to broken cranks. I'm not impressed with it at all.

IMO it's more troublesome than the V8's.

All ford 2V's have the spark plug issue. Whether it's a 4.6,5.4 or the v10.
If you have a friend who is a mechanic it's smart money to spend heli-coil in every plug hole. My 2v spit plugs twice. Second time it ingested the plug,chipping the piston,so I said that's it. Put in a 4v.
Wanna race

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
I have a repair estimate on a church bus that was being offered to my church for free. It was a 1999 Cutaway E350 with a V10 and 90,000 miles. The repair estimate is dated April 2012 and is from a Ford garage and includes the following:

Exhaust Manifold 674-780 1 ea at $847.10
Exhaust Manifold 674-781 1 ea at $851.17
Exhaust Manifold R&R (both) at $722.50

This is an earlier V10 though.

The Dorman parts are literally less than half the price. I'd recommend that route, as that's what I did on the Expedition.... Which is also known for manifold cracking/stud breaking.

Saw a V10 in an F-550 4x4 repo truck recently that ran up 553,000 miles before getting repowered. (The timing chain jumped & bent a valve.) A V10 is a 400,000 miles with even half-baked maintenance. Go for it.

To the OP: I would go for the V10. It isn't likely to use any more gas than a 5.4.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Saw a V10 in an F-550 4x4 repo truck recently that ran up 553,000 miles before getting repowered. (The timing chain jumped & bent a valve.) A V10 is a 400,000 miles with even half-baked maintenance. Go for it.

To the OP: I would go for the V10. It isn't likely to use any more gas than a 5.4.

Wow. That's impressive. Especially for a working vehicle. The ford 2V engines have proven reliable,as good as the 302/351 they replaced. And better powerband (stock) to boot.

I will say, that every automatic V10 I have driven feels really weak but the 3 6spd manual trucks were ok.

I towed my Jeep once with a truck just as you describe (07 E450 EL chassis, 17 foot box, automatic). Got 8.5 mpg doing 65 over 350 miles. Trailer weight was about 6500 lbs, about 1000 lbs of stuff in the truck. By my best guesstimate, it had 4.10 gears in the back. Power-wise, it did pretty well, actually a bit better than expected. Only time I wound it up at WOT was getting on the highway.

Update!!I went with the V10 E450 17 foot reading box.Comes with the longer frame,I think 176 wheelbase,456 gears limitied slip and the 6 spd tranny tow haul.Out the door price with taxes motor vechile 3 came to 38625.OUCH.The only problem i,m having and wont sign to i get a answer from reading is there are wires hanging along the driver door pillar with a big harnes.There telling me thats normal. I told them no it,s not, come look at my ford box truck, it,s behind the molding that seems to be missing.So I will seee what happens there.I told them to fix and we got a deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back