Michelin Defender - Awesome tire

Status
Not open for further replies.
We recently replaced the Continental Contiprocontact tires on my wife's Versa, and I chose the Michelin Defenders in stock P185/65R15 size. I really can't say enough good things about them. The installation went great, and only one tire needed a small weight on the inside of the wheel, all the others were balanced without needing weights [wow].

The tires are quiet, the steering feel is much sharper, and I am pleased with the ride. I processed my $70 rebate online through the Michelin website, and I received my $70 VISA card in 19 days!

If anyone is in need of a "grand touring" style tire that's a long lasting capable all-season, I would recommend these tires. I usually go for a performance all-season on my personal car, but considering the low horsepower slower nature of the Versa I thought it might be appropriate.

They're supposed to be an excellent non-performance all-season tire with exceptionally long treadlife and decent rolling resistance. Unfortunately, they do not come in the proper speed rating for many of the newer cars on the road.

Thanks, excellent timing after a search on Tirerack and some other sites I was contemplating these for my wifes Caravan

One of my co-workers recently put a set of Defenders on his RAV4, strongly recommended by the gal at our local tire shop. She's been there a really long time and knows her stuff so we often take her advice. He's only had them mounted up for a week or so but he's really happy with them and said the price was fair.

Yep, just got 'em for my Wife's Camry. Super nice.
smile.gif

Did I read somewhere that Michelin combined two former lines (all season and touring) into the Defender?

I was, and am still, thinking that they have their finger on the austerity button and know people just want no frills, middle of the road tires now.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Did I read somewhere that Michelin combined two former lines (all season and touring) into the Defender?

I'm not sure there's much of a distinction between "all season" and "touring" in the industry. For example Tire Rack had a category called "standard touring", and it included tires like the T-rated Yokohama Avid TRZ. Why that tire wasn't a standard "all season" tire, I don't know.

Anyway, Michelin discontinued two all season tire lines with the introduction of the Defender (or at least will very shortly). The Defender replaces the HydroEdge and also the Harmony (and its X Radial derivative). There is a club-sold replacement to the X Radial based on the Defender, called the Defender XT. I actually like that tire better than the regular Defender due to the largely symmetrical tread pattern (though it may technically still be an asymmetrical tire).

I don't know the fate of the other Harmony-based tire lines, like the Destiny and WeatherWise II. I don't know if they will continue to be sold, replaced with either the Defender or Defender XT (or other variant), or simply dropped altogether.

I was, and am still, thinking that they have their finger on the austerity button and know people just want no frills, middle of the road tires now.

In my experience, Michelin has always represented tires of good value. They're not usually the cheapest tire out there, but they reward that higher initial cost with consistent wear and performance throughout the tread, often resulting in a lower total cost of ownership in the end.

I do think the Defender is the right tire at the right time for Michelin. It's reasonably priced and aimed square at the "middle class" segment of the tire market...all season passenger car tires that deliver long life. I was initially scared away from them because of the super long promised life (and possibly being either noisier or harder than others, like the HydroEdge was), but reviews seem to be very positive about this tire, even from those who have had them on for many miles.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

I don't know the fate of the other Harmony-based tire lines, like the Destiny and WeatherWise II.

What's the junky michelin only sold at Sears? These sound like them.

32.gif
My tire nerddom grows with every trip to the used tire pile, I found these cheapo looking (but possibly okay tires) that I traced back to sears. Dunlop SP60!

Dunlop_SP_60_59642.jpg

What's the junky michelin only sold at Sears? These sound like them.

I don't think I'd call the WeatherWise II a "junky" tire. It's quite a good tire, based on the very good Harmony. You may have been referring to the original WeatherWise, which I believe was loosely based on the old MX4 tires. Those are no longer sold.

I put a set of the Hankook Optimo H727's on my Father's car in Sept. 2011. They were fine at first, but by the time they had reached almost a year old, they had developed vibration issues. I took the car in, and it was determined that three of the four had belt separation.

Since I had purchased the discount tire certificates on the Hankooks, they swapped all four out for the Michelin Defenders. Three months later, the Defenders are quiet, smooth riding, and do well in rain and snow. They also seem to have noticeably less rolling resistance, than the H727's.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Defenders at this point in time.

I put 4 new Michelin Defender tires on my 05 Vic a few months ago..I got them at Costco..They are a million times better then the Michelin Symmetry I was running before.

I put some on our Camry in May and have about 8k on them now. So far so good. They are quiet and smooth. Hoping they perform decent in the snow. Guess I should know in the coming months
smile.gif

so you are actually arent.

you would be getting the defender XT.

the club version.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I don't know the fate of the other Harmony-based tire lines, like the Destiny and WeatherWise II. I don't know if they will continue to be sold, replaced with either the Defender or Defender XT (or other variant), or simply dropped altogether.

Destiny was dropped. I picked a set up on clearance just before the Defenders hit the market. I can only assume the WeatherWise II had the same fate.

I pulled the trigger on a set of Defender XT after reading landslide sweeping reviews of how awesome the tire is from nearly every source. Hopefully they live up to the reputation. I bought them a little early to get the $70 off.

They are still sitting in the bags waiting to be mounted up ...after I wear off the last bit of my CS4's and the tire swapping rush calms down.

We just got a set of Defenders for my wife's Corolla. After doing a bit of research, I decided I'd rather spend more now on a quality tire than less on something I'll have to replace again in two years. No real reviews so far since we just got them last night but they feel pretty good so far.

They weren't cheap at $126 (plus road hazard at another $17) in 185/65-14 but I'm betting that they will eventually pay off. They are made in Mexico if anyone cares.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back