STP S2808/ ~8k oci w/ curious bypass design-PICS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I installed this STP filter on an 01 Civic after I buttoned up the valve cover as shown in this thread. This STP is the equivalent app to the Puro L14459 used on majority pre 01 Hondas. Seeing as the STP OF has no 14610/7317 equivalent, the spec application, I chose it over the smaller thimble size STP spec S6607, the Puro 14612 equivalent. Based on the amount of media found this 2808, it seems a wise choice. Normally wouldn't select the STP filter but it was part of AZ Mobil Super5k/filter promo for ~$10, and I wasn't going to waste it.

The 8k oci is farther than the normal 5-6k dino oci this vehicle has seen on average, but the last 2-3k was used for a recently lenghtened commute, mostly highway driving that occured over a very short time frame.

Also used ZO6's method of wrapping media in a disposable shop towel to absorb excess oil before taking pics.

The obtained specs for the S2808 are:
46 pleats not including joining/seam pleat.
7/16" pleat depth
1&7/8" media width from endcap to endcap
And a media area of ~75.5 sq. in.

Observations:
As mentioned in title a dome end end bypass that consists of the flat protuding area of the 4 spoke retainer leaf spring covering six round holes in the dome end. Seen integrated bypass in the retainer spring like Fram, but never seen the retainer spring itself serve as part of the bypass design. Will be interested in thoughts/comments on this design.

This filter uses a rounded gasket as opposed to flat or P type gasket. And, as seems typical for Champ made the base/tapping plate is quite thick and heavy. Much moreso than other filters I have dissected in the past. Can thickness seemed about average.

STPS2808OF002-1.jpg
STPS2808OF003-1.jpg

STPS2808OF009-1.jpg
STPS2808OF010-1.jpg

STPS2808OF005-1.jpg
STPS2808OF001-1.jpg

I wondered if this filter was used or new (until I saw the pic of the inner tube with oil in it). Your engine must be VERY clean and in excellent shape!

^^^^ If you click on the 'in this thead' link in my op and you can judge the engine condition. Mostly regular maintenance with dino.

And, allowing the oil to be absorbed from the media helps it look more pristine.

Originally Posted By: Artem
It's definitely a better choice over the TINY and pathetic S6607.

True that, couldn't agree more. As said, ~76 sq.in. in this is no media area leader, can't imagine area in the S6607.

^^^It could well be Chris, I don't know. Can you explain to me how it's supposed to function? The extended circular portion of the retainer spring sits perfectly flush with the top of the endcap as shown in pics.

Obviously when a certain psid is reached the oil can get through to the holes. Just wondering how that occurs.

I personally stay away from the >$6 oil filters.

I've bout the OC deals with Mobil + STP and returned the STP later for a Bosch (paid the difference). I simply can't make myself use such a cheap filter in my cars.

I hear ya, and I 'might not' have used the STP in my 3.0L Accord, but thought any risks of using it in the Civic were very minimal. As said though, glad I chose the larger filter STP application. And, when one considers the Honda OEM A-02 is rated ~65%@20um not much downside in that respect at least. Judging from the dissection, looks to have gotten the job done. Fwiw, I did replace it with a P1 PL14610, a step up. But I've mostly used Classics or equivalents like the old AAP Total Grip with nitrile adbv's in the Civic. Looking at the valve train it's worked out ok.

As for the bypass, doing some research it does 'seem' to be a Champ 'clicker type' bypass. Based on some comments, deserved or not, doesn't seem to have the best rep. Still would like someone to explain how the 'click' is 'supposed' to work. The flat center section of the retainer spring doesn't seem to flex at all.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
As for the bypass, doing some research it does 'seem' to be a Champ 'clicker type' bypass. Based on some comments, deserved or not, doesn't seem to have the best rep. Still would like someone to explain how the 'click' is 'supposed' to work. The flat center section of the retainer spring doesn't seem to flex at all.

Filter looks well constructed and pretty good overall. The media area is similar to the 14459 Purolator (within 10 sq-in).

Not sure how that bypass valve works exactly ... hard to tell from the photos what the setup is. Maybe you could tear it open more and take some pics or see how it functions with more dissection.

Zee, I can take the dome endcap off from the centertube and media, honestly though I'm very doubtful it will reveal anything more than what you can see in the pics of the dome endcap and retainer leaf spring. Six holes in the dome ec, the extended circular portion of the retainer spring sits flat on the recessed portion of the dome ec, forming a seal over the holes with pressure from the 4 spokes of the leaf spring.

The central postion of the retainer spring doesn't 'seem' to flex with hand pressure. Maybe, maybe, the central portion of the dome ec may flex some with hand pressure, but I can't say that with any certainty. It really appears that what you see in the pics is what you get.

I'm thinking since it appears to be called a 'clicker' type bypass that either the dome ec is supposed to flex or the retainer spring does allowing oil to bypass at a certain psi.
21.gif

The central postion of the retainer spring doesn't 'seem' to flex with hand pressure. Maybe, maybe, the central portion of the dome ec may flex some with hand pressure, but I can't say that with any certainty. It really appears that what you see in the pics is what you get.

I'm thinking since it appears to be called a 'clicker' type bypass that either the dome ec is supposed to flex or the retainer spring does allowing oil to bypass at a certain psi.
21.gif

It is a strange bypass valve setup. So those 6 small holes just go straight though ... there's no type of valve or rubber seal down inside the 6 hole area? I think you're probably right that the center of the end cap must flex in the middle and then allow oil to go down the center hole of the spring retainer and then down the 6 holes in the end cap and dump in to the center core.

If you look at the pic showing the thread end w/adbv you see two of the six holes with the retainer spring off. That is the other side of the view from the outer dome side, there is nothing else. Different bypass design for sure.

If you look at the pic showing the thread end w/adbv you see two of the six holes with the retainer spring off. That is the other side of the view from the outer dome side, there is nothing else. Different bypass design for sure.

In that photo, it looks like there is some kind of red material seen through the holes. Or do the holes just go straight through and the red is something on the back side of the filter?

It looks like there is some kind of housing protruding down inside the center core.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back