New Samsung Induction Range

Status
Not open for further replies.
The wife and I were out shopping yesterday and happened through the Sears in our local mall. We had been contemplating replacing our thirty year old Magic Chef electric range for some time. Long story short, they had a deal on a display model we couldn’t pass up.
This is our first experience with induction and thus far we really like it. Our new house does not have gas. While we hadn’t planned on the induction top, we like how closely it mirrors cooking with gas.
I was wondering if anyone else out there has any experience and/or advice as to how to maximize our experience?

Hello, I'm sorry to say I have no experience with them because I do feel they absolutely ARE NOT a gimmick. Even so, I was glad we had natural gas available during the power outages we experienced during/after Hurricane Sandy. I do have a question: Does the oven have a circulation fan in it? That's another non-gimmick, I feel. It really does reduce cooking time. Kira

I have just about one of everything from Samsung, less a range. They're all solid products. I know people with non-Samsung induction ranges and they like them just fine.

It's great to hear that folks seem to be pleased with the technology. We were very uncertain but it had all of the features she wanted and was well clearanced at 70 percent off.

It has three convection fans in the back of the oven. I'm not sure what benefit three fans nets you but they are in there.

Originally Posted By: apwillard1986
It's great to hear that folks seem to be pleased with the technology. We were very uncertain but it had all of the features she wanted and was well clearanced at 70 percent off.

It has three convection fans in the back of the oven. I'm not sure what benefit three fans nets you but they are in there.

Convection ovens supposedly work pretty well. Good luck

I think they are acceptable for the average cook, but as someone who really enjoys cooking, the only thing I'll cook on is gas. I have no problem with electric ovens (and convection ovens are effective and efficient), but as far as a cook top goes, it's gas or nothing.

Induction cook tops have some severe limitations. I can't toss the food in the pan while cooking. I frequently add ingredients and "toss" the food in order to mix it all up-as soon as you remove a pan from an induction cook top it stops heating.

I can't use some of the specialty cookware that I have. While I understand that cast iron can be used, the idea of banging a cast iron skillet around on a "glass" cook top is a risk I'm not willing to take. I can bang and drop my cast iron onto my gas grates without a single problem, and I'll never need to replace the cook top because the "glass" broke.

Gas is easier to clean. When it needs cleaning I just put the grates and shields from my gas cook top into the dishwasher. With an induction cook top, you'll be scrubbing and cleaning it.

While I've never needed to, our gas cook top is simple enough so that I can fix anything on it-no electronics, gadgets, etc. I suspect that any induction cook top failure would render it completely inoperable, while about the only thing to go wrong with a quality gas range might be ignition on a burner, and that can be worked around until fixed (mine all light with a match).

Another issue that I'd consider is longevity. We purchased our gas range when we built the house in 1995, and it's performed flawlessly. I have no doubts it will continue to last us the rest of our lives with little or no repairs needed. I see gas ranges from the 1940's and 1950's still around and still working flawlessly. Will the electronics and gadgets in an induction cook top last as long? Or is it designed to be disposable after 10 or 15 years? Parts for most gas ranges are still available, even ranges like O'Keefe & Merritt from the 1950's have parts available. In 62 years will the induction cook top have parts available?

Again, as someone who really enjoys cooking and cooks well beyond the occasional pancake or boiling rice, induction (or electric for that matter) simply doesn't cut it. I'll take open flame gas all the time.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

Another issue that I'd consider is longevity. We purchased our gas range when we built the house in 1995, and it's performed flawlessly. I have no doubts it will continue to last us the rest of our lives with little or no repairs needed. I see gas ranges from the 1940's and 1950's still around and still working flawlessly. Will the electronics and gadgets in an induction cook top last as long? Or is it designed to be disposable after 10 or 15 years? Parts for most gas ranges are still available, even ranges like O'Keefe & Merritt from the 1950's have parts available. In 62 years will the induction cook top have parts available?

While I greatly prefer gas, our home had an electric range in it, which is an odd size, and which has a style that we like. It is an old GE. No idea why there is an electric there since the home is heated with gas.

But it is a 1961 stove, and works flawlessly. It has a big and small stove, is a 40" unit, and is pretty great. We did have to buy a thermocouple for one stove, and while the parts place had to use microfiche to find the part number, it was indeed found, and the parts support still exists. Granted, it is not an induction cooktop, but just because it isnt gas doesnt mean that it isnt supported. Im not sure an induction cooktop is all that fancy when it comes to electronics, though it surely has more to it than a resistive element.

If it ever fails, Ill buy a rebuilt 1930's gas stove, but until then, Ill live with the electric, because it works fine.

So they arent necessarily unreliable and short-lived. Even the clock still works.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
So they arent necessarily unreliable and short-lived. Even the clock still works.

I'm not sure how a simple 60's vintage electric cook top compares to a modern induction cook top, but as long as you're happy with it. Having cooked on both electric and gas, I'll leave electric to those who don't need to do much more than boil some water or cook a few pancakes.

You are the one that implied that they would be throw away after 10-15 years. You are making statements based upon what? Real information or your speculation based upon the assumed superiority of every decision youve ever made?

An inductor is a fairly simple electrical item. Their reliability is in no way suspect to me. Might the other circuitry be a liability? Perhaps, though if a modern gas range has any type of electrical controls, valves, etc., it would be equally so.

Id say that your skill in cooking must require a crutch if you cant get good results on electric. Is it as optimal for cooking as gas? No, and I dont think anyone would ever imply the contrary. But it is simply a ridiculous blanket statement to say that electric is good only for boiling water and cooking pancakes. Ditto for the cleanup. Ive seen cleanup on an induction cooktop, and it is far easier and faster than on a gas or element electric, because there is no ultra-hot element to burn, coke up the spills, flash off steam, etc. And what are you doing, running a Chinese take-out? I rarely have spill-overs or big messes on any cooking that we ever do, on electric, gas or otherwise. User error and sloppiness shouts to me from that aspect. Nothing is going to stay spotless, but none of this is very hard... And slightly easier cleaning while at task gives a benefit there, IMO.

I think they are acceptable for the average cook, but as someone who really enjoys cooking, the only thing I'll cook on is gas. I have no problem with electric ovens (and convection ovens are effective and efficient), but as far as a cook top goes, it's gas or nothing.

Induction cook tops have some severe limitations. I can't toss the food in the pan while cooking. I frequently add ingredients and "toss" the food in order to mix it all up-as soon as you remove a pan from an induction cook top it stops heating.

I can't use some of the specialty cookware that I have. While I understand that cast iron can be used, the idea of banging a cast iron skillet around on a "glass" cook top is a risk I'm not willing to take. I can bang and drop my cast iron onto my gas grates without a single problem, and I'll never need to replace the cook top because the "glass" broke.

Gas is easier to clean. When it needs cleaning I just put the grates and shields from my gas cook top into the dishwasher. With an induction cook top, you'll be scrubbing and cleaning it.

While I've never needed to, our gas cook top is simple enough so that I can fix anything on it-no electronics, gadgets, etc. I suspect that any induction cook top failure would render it completely inoperable, while about the only thing to go wrong with a quality gas range might be ignition on a burner, and that can be worked around until fixed (mine all light with a match).

Again, as someone who really enjoys cooking and cooks well beyond the occasional pancake or boiling rice, induction (or electric for that matter) simply doesn't cut it. I'll take open flame gas all the time.

I would agree that gas is preferred. We have had gas before but this home lacks a gas supply so that was not an option. Not having a stove because our neighborhood lacks gas was not an option either. I wouldn’t say we eat just rice and pancakes. We are not La Cordon Bleu grads but we cook a fair bit.

What has impressed us so far is the ease of cleanup and how well the induction seems to mitigate the usual compromise between gas and electric. We cook on stainless and cast iron so with the admitted exception of a few of our aluminum pans, the cookware has worked.

Every crow thinks theirs is blackest. My post was not intended to rank induction higher or lower than other stovetop technology. It was simply intended to ask those who may be in the know some tips and tricks regarding a technology that until three days ago, I had no experience with.

I have a friend who, along with his wife are very much into cooking, and consistently turn out meals as good or better than I've had anywhere, or at any price.

He used to have a gas cooktop. Their new home does not have gas service and they did not want to do propane due to the cost in their location. They put in an induction range. He prefers the induction to gas.

Ed

I've never used an induction stove, but if I can't have gas, a glass-top electric is a close 2nd. It takes some adjusting to how you treat it compared to glass (mostly remembering that it doesn't reduce heat as quickly), but it works just fine.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
You are the one that implied that they would be throw away after 10-15 years. You are making statements based upon what? Real information or your speculation based upon the assumed superiority of every decision youve ever made?

An inductor is a fairly simple electrical item. Their reliability is in no way suspect to me. Might the other circuitry be a liability? Perhaps, though if a modern gas range has any type of electrical controls, valves, etc., it would be equally so.

Id say that your skill in cooking must require a crutch if you cant get good results on electric. Is it as optimal for cooking as gas? No, and I dont think anyone would ever imply the contrary. But it is simply a ridiculous blanket statement to say that electric is good only for boiling water and cooking pancakes. Ditto for the cleanup. Ive seen cleanup on an induction cooktop, and it is far easier and faster than on a gas or element electric, because there is no ultra-hot element to burn, coke up the spills, flash off steam, etc. And what are you doing, running a Chinese take-out? I rarely have spill-overs or big messes on any cooking that we ever do, on electric, gas or otherwise. User error and sloppiness shouts to me from that aspect. Nothing is going to stay spotless, but none of this is very hard... And slightly easier cleaning while at task gives a benefit there, IMO.

It appears that my post certainly got under your skin. The original poster asked for opinions, and I expressed mine. To say that my cooking "must require a crutch" is a pathetic attempt at an insult, which, for someone who claims to be a moderator here, shouldn't be tolerated. If you want to discuss the issue, I'd expect a more mature discussion from you than what you're currently displaying.

We have a difference of opinion, and as I stated before, if you're happy with your 60's vintage electric cook top there's nothing wrong with that. Since I cook at an (almost) professional level, I'll stick with gas.

...The original poster asked for opinions, and I expressed mine...

Yes, he did ask for an opinion. The opinion you expressed, however, was on a subject he wasn't asking about! He wanted to know how to maximize his enjoyment of an induction range; you posted a rather self-indulgent screed about the merits of gas complete with some irrelevant boasting and lame putdowns.

JHZR2 has seen that show before so he took you to task on it, fair game IMO.

jeff

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
My condescension meter is pegged!

I had to buy a new one! OMG, this place is killing me!

ROTFLMAO!

Go get 'em, Pops!

Originally Posted By: greenjp
...The original poster asked for opinions, and I expressed mine...

Yes, he did ask for an opinion. The opinion you expressed, however, was on a subject he wasn't asking about! He wanted to know how to maximize his enjoyment of an induction range; you posted a rather self-indulgent screed about the merits of gas complete with some irrelevant boasting and lame putdowns.

JHZR2 has seen that show before so he took you to task on it, fair game IMO.

jeff

Exactly. Well said. The condescending attitude is in most every post.

I'll leave electric to those who don't need to do much more than boil some water or cook a few pancakes.

Prime example, tongue-in-cheek immature crack given my commentary.

Somehow my commentary about the support on an older non-gas stove is returned with that? Give me a break. Might not be an induction unit, but its a data point that PR didnt have. While the comment on simplicity and cooking on gas may be valid, it doesnt mean that there isnt other data that can be added if going OT from induction. And in my second post, guess what? Im talking from experience too, having cooked on all. Oh sorry, Im not a self proclaimed semi-pro cook.

If you want to discuss the issue, I'd expect a more mature discussion from you than what you're currently displaying.

Of course, as just a pancake flipper and water boiler, what do I know?

We have a difference of opinion, and as I stated before, if you're happy with your 60's vintage electric cook top there's nothing wrong with that. Since I cook at an (almost) professional level, I'll stick with gas.

Nope, no difference of opinion. I said that gas is better for cooking. But to make blanket statements about electric, regardless of a professed level of ability, is just absurd. One would think it is impossible to make healthy and excellent tasting food if you dont have gas. Nothing could be further from the truth. Ditto with the ability to clean. And it goes on and on.

My parents have been using the same Whirlpool induction range ever since they moved into their new house which was 15 years ago. My mom's cooking still tastes great from it, but maybe I'm biased.
smile.gif

Cleaning it is just an added bonus - it's very easy to clean. Cleaning a gas range is a PITA in comparison, but I do agree that cooking with gas gives you more control.

The only reason why we don't have an induction range in our house is that it would have required modifying the electrical wiring to support 240V. My wife makes a lot of mess when she cooks, and I'm the one that ends up cleaning the range. I hate it. Thankfully (or not), she does not cook that often.

Yeah my parents dont have gas in their weekend home where they heat with oil and coal. The new induction range they bought is very easy to clean and tastes great.

Pulling extra, fairly heavy gauge wires to a range is a pain unless you can easily run them through an unfinished basement. I think our range is on 50A service, which isnt a small cable.

...I'll leave electric to those who don't need to do much more than boil some water or cook a few pancakes.

Ah. . yea right! Spare me the condescension there popity-pop. I got your pancakes...flip this! I live in a neighborhood with NO gas lines, so everything is electric. And I'm an excellent cook! I don't even have a fancy electric stove/cooktop either...it's 30yrs old. Gas sure makes for a humid kitchen and slower boiling times.

As an EE, I like the concept of induction. After all, combustion is so . . . .combustible and.... yesterday.
grin2.gif

(you set yourself up for this one...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back