Engine sounds better cold on new 5W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went ahead and changed out ytday on 2000 Volvo V70 XC, 2.4L I5 LPT. 4 quarts Valvoline Nextgen 5W-30 green bottle, one quart Maxlife 5W-30 red bottle, and one quart Redline 5W-20 (had it from somewhere.) SOUNDS better cold! New filter, too. 132,721 miles makes start of OC.

I am beginning to wonder if the oil in there was 10W-40 based on how much better it is. I am really impressed!

Now, as to how soon it will blacken. I am simply happy to have gotten new oil in her, etc. Thoughts on this oil selection?

If your engine manual calls for 5w30 then that is a fine choice. The RL 5w20 is basically 5w30 anyway so no harm there. If the vehicle calls for xxw40 OTOH, then I would continue to use a 40grade. Maybe something like M1 0w40 would be perfect.

M1 0-40 is what I'd use in that car.
One of their best oils, and VERY suitable for a turbo.
I could care less about perceived start up smoothness or noise.

5w30 is good with this engine (though a 40w is better for hot weather); and a tiny bit of 5w20 seems like it won't hurt--but just because we're headed into winter. is the red bottle the high mileage sort with seal conditioners and such?

so, i'm wondering how this saga continues; did you get that t-belt changed yet?

5w-30 will be ok in it year-round, provided it is a full synthetic.

I'd keep the first couple of OCIs very short, however, until he knows what he has -- especially with these odd concoctions involving conventionals.

I have no problem with that either, in the short-run, considering his other far more urgent expenses. A full crankcase of lovely M1 or RL won't help any if that T-belt goes.

I would only run. full synth it that engine.

Minimum of Castrol Magnatec 5w30, the oil it can run are pretty varied going by the Castrol lubefinder.

But I have had good service from Castrol oils.

I have Castrol Edge 5w40 FST C3 in the Pathfinder at the moment and it is all good, Volvo has 5w30 a1/B1-A5/B5 in it and no problems.

Put Castrol Magnatec 5w30 A3/B4 in BiLs 2.2 CR-V and it runs much better than the unnamed stuff put in by his mechanic.

I personally wouldn't be using different makes of oil, but each to his own.

I did use Castrol Edge C3 (A3/B4) and some Castrol Magnatec 5w30 A3/B4 to top up in a friends C2 Citreon as the oil was rotten and this was to hand and met the specs, but will be changed soon. As it is mainly to clean out the previous lack of maintenance.

I assume the OP is using this concoction to clean out previous abuse, and this oil was on hand, rather than intending to run this for a lengthy interval?

Quote:
I assume the OP is using this concoction to clean out previous abuse, and this oil was on hand, rather than intending to run this for a lengthy interval?

Correct. Dealing with an unknown, and when I looked at the oil filler cap, I suspected SEVERE sludge.

The T-belt fund continues, and a link to progress on this lovely steed is here. Running 00 XC thread

I also made it out of NJ in one piece when visiting my folks, thank God.

Do you have any idea when the oil was last changed?
Any new oil works noticeably better than old oil in any engine I've ever done an oil change on.
No doubt 5W-30 is more suitable for the ambients you're now seeing where you live, and would probably be okay for cool season use.
If you stay with conventional oil, limit OCIs to 4K or so and use a 10W-40 during warm weather.
The best oil for this engine year 'round would be M1 0W-40.
Pricier, but reasonable on sale and could be run 7-8K in this application.
Once you've done the timing belt and therefore have good reason to invest in the car's longevity, consider the M1, or maybe GC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back