Mobil 1 0w30, 12647 Miles, 06 Forester X 2.5l

Status
Not open for further replies.

gib

Time on oil: 15 months
Oil Filter: PureOne PL14459
Air Filter: Fram
The car saw more short trips than in previous runs, but it was still predominately highway mileage. I also ran this oil a bit longer than planned, but that doesn't seem to be much of an issue.

A few miscellaneous notes:

- Oils used in the previuos UOAs, from most recent to oldest: Pennzoil Ultra 5w30; 50/50 mix of Castrol Syntec 0w30 (GC) and Castrol Syntec 10w30.

- The car is currently back on Pennzoil Ultra 5w30, which I'll probably stick with for the foreseeable future. It's a great oil. I also added a bit of LubroMoly MoS2 because, well, I like trying things. heh

foresteruoa3.png

It's clearly M1 030 is doing well in your engine with your driving condition.

The other UOA results clearly showed that synthetic is safe for 10-12k miles OCI or more with normal driving condition. Syn oil for any OCI less than 7-8k miles is a waste of money.

Last edited:
Your location and the absence of cold may be a contributing factor, here.
Those are impressive results.
I've been toying with getting one of these vehicles, and past posters have cheered their results with 5w40 syns.
0w30 M1 stands right there as a first choice IMHO.

Originally Posted By: buster
Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
Do not change anything...

+1

Except that they have changed the oils they are using regularly, and they get good results, so I think they can keep changing around a bit if they want. All 3 OCI on the chart were different oils, but all top quality oils!

The interval seems to be looking ok. I'm extremely impressed. That is a pretty long OCI, and the results look great.

It looks like all the different oils you have used, provide similar, consistent results. Keep choosing from those good products! It seems you are truly saving money by using these superior products. Again, I'm impressed!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ChiTDI
Your location and the absence of cold may be a contributing factor, here.
Those are impressive results.
I've been toying with getting one of these vehicles, and past posters have cheered their results with 5w40 syns.
0w30 M1 stands right there as a first choice IMHO.

Yeah, the climate here in Hawaii is definitely helpful. I'm sure if this run had gone through a true winter, like something you might get in Chicago, it wouldn't have looked quite as good.

The Forester is a great car. You're right, a lot of people have mentioned using 5w40 and I even considered trying it based on those reports. However, my results with various Xw30 oils have been outstanding, so unless it's a turbo model, I don't see a reason for 5w40 in these cars.

You're right, 5w40 is for turbo models, the naturally aspirated cars are much easier on oil and don't need 40wt.

My father has been using M1 0w30 and 0w40 in his 2010 Outback 3.6R in truly frigid Northern Minnesota. He's been considering extending his OCIs to 10k miles now that he's reached the end of warranty. We did a TBN on M1 0w30 at 6,000 mi in his car and it came back at 4.7! That was a summer run though. TBN of a spring oil change always comes back lower than a fall oil change.

The SN version of M1 0w30 seems more shear stable than the SM version, and does well in Subaru engines. There was even a Forester XT (turbo) which reported it stayed in grade.

When I make some time I'll post his UOAs.

Quote:
The SN version of M1 0w30

All of the companies have now layered their synthetic line in tiers. AFE is > regular M1 and = EP - the 15k guarantee long drain capability.

That distance and time on a non-EP oil would concern me. EP is intentionally formulated with a better anti-wear add pack to go up to 15,000 miles. Was this oil starting to thicken? Two viscosity tests are above spec. I think this oil was worn out and on the verge of falling apart.

I'd switch to 5W-30 EP and change it every 12 months.

^Nothing in this report suggests anything in your opinion to be the case.

This app is fine at 12,000 miles or 1 year with this combo if all else stays the same.

Great report.

PS: Looks like the MoS2 didn't hurt a thing either.

M1 0w30 has a 100 degree celcius viscosity of 10.9. So it barely sheered at all over 12k miles! One of the reason I like this oil. The cold start benefits is another.

I think 10k in the EJ25, with proper filtration (air/oil) will work just fine with any synthetic oil.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
Was this oil starting to thicken? Two viscosity tests are above spec.

I'm not sure why Blackstone highlighted the viscosity. As webfors points out, M1 0w30 is spec'd at 10.9 cSt, so 10.81 is right on target. That being said, it's entirely possible the oil sheared some during its life and then thickened back up a little towards the end as its antioxidant reserves got lower and whatnot. Short of doing multiple UOA's over the course of the run to track viscosity change, we'll never know. Though, even if that's what happened, a little near-end-of-life thickening isn't a big deal and doesn't bother me. This oil was close to the end of the line, but it wasn't dead yet.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
PS: Looks like the MoS2 didn't hurt a thing either.

Just to be clear, I added the MoS2 to the current fill of Pennzoil Ultra. This UOA with M1 0w30 did not have any.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back