How to remove Lukas stop leak from engine? Or most

Status
Not open for further replies.
My cousins cars had an oil leak through his camseal but he just had the seals replaced 2 days ago at a shop. But just couple days before he had it replaced, he was at another mech (who was doing an oil change) and was the one to spot the leak and said instead of replacing the seal to use Lucas stop leak so he put a bottle of that stuff in (1qrt). Later that day, hes heard too many bad things on the stop leaks and what it can do over time, so he got another oil change from a friend of his hoping to get the Lucas stuff out. It was only 2hrs from when he did the first oil chnge to the second to remove the Lukas stuff. And 3 days to when he got the seals replaced at the shop.

He asked me and from what I told him, to get all the Lucas stuff out, it would probably take 10 oil changes cause that stuff is thick. Thats going to be a lot of oil and very expensive if he was to do it. So what he wants to now know is, now that he has brand new seals put in (even has new spark and valve cover seals too), will it be bad that some Lukas is still in the engine even though the leak has been 100% fixed? What do you think he should do?

As much as he would love to do the 10 oil changes to get the Lukas stuff out, its going to be expensive.

Do you think he should leave it as is? But wont the stop leak be bad for the new seals? Doing 1 oil change after, i know alot is out but not all.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: andyd
Dood just drive it, maybe it will work

Work what? I dont think you read the post properly. New seals were put in, leak is fixed. The car has new seals and this is my cousins car. Hes asking me and Im asking you guys for better advice cause im not familiar with stop leak products.

Last edited:
LOL.

Sounds like a post that belongs in the "Dear Abby" column.

I say do about 10 or 12 oil changes to make sure you get as much out as possible. Actually you might want to drain the oil add 1 qt of atf, a bottle of kreen, and a can of mmo and the remainder with fresh oil until full.

Just drive it or if you're really worried, change the oil. If he's been driving it the Lucas should be mixed in with the oil,so you'll get the vast majority of it.

You're probably over-thinking this.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 229
Takes 300 miles to work when left in. It was drained. No worries.

But you really think 1 oil change after is enough to get most of it out? Dont know if youve seen this stuff but its so thick.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Try using *trollstop* its good for cleaning out "lukas's"

36.gif
25.gif

Since no other odd symtoms have developed ONE oil change should do it. The purpose is to get most of it out.

Or just pour a bottle of Dawn into the crankcase. Once your cousin stops seeing bubbles in the rear view mirror the cleaning cycle has been completed.

Remove drain plug, insert water hose in oil fill hole. Turn on water, start engine, run at 2000RPM untill the engine stalls. It is now flushed. Turn off water. Call a junk yard to come buy the car. Use proceeds to purchase a bicycle.

I know that everyone is cracking on you.
Not sure why.
I don't intend to.
The oil change got almost all of this garbage out of the engine.
Consider the dilution factor of a fresh fill of oil versus the small amount remaining in the engine after a drain.
Change the oil again after a K or so, and consider the Lucas gone.
Best idea is to avoid putting stuff in the oil that you may later be in a panic about.

Are you sure this isn't your car?

Originally Posted By: Carnoobie
01 Civic

I just wanted to get second opinions on what you think i should do. I was about to change my oil today until when I got under the car, I notice oil on the bottom. wasnt dripping or anything but i could tell it was fresh oil. Ive been checking my oil lately and the level hasnt dropped at all.

So i went to see one of my mechs and he said its coming from the left side of the engine (driver side), we started the car and let it run and he could see it. It was coming from the timing belt cover so my guess is its the camshaft seal.

Ive been running Mobil 1 5W30 for the past 1.5yrs (4 oil changes) and at first it was fine.

So he said to not go with syn anymore and because I have 101K miles to use conventional high milage oil. He said synthetic is 10x more likely to get leaks and high milage oil should be used in high milage cars. And add this Lucas stop leak stuff (white bottle) and it will fix it. He says its either this or I have to pay someone to replace that seal and its a big job (timing belt). When I had my tensioner dont last Jan, we checked the seal and it was fine.

He said he had leaks on both his cars and worse leaks and hes used high milage oil + lucas stop leak and it fixed the leak 100%.

So I got him to change the oil and put in Motomaster high milage conventional oil and bottle of the Lucas. He said change it every 3 months.

What do you think i should do now? I have to monitor it for the next couple months every time I drive to see if its leaking still. I can check by looking in the driver side wheel well cause thats where we saw the oil before.

How many seals are on the left side of the engine? (driver side)
I dont know forsure which seal it is, but because he said its coming from the timing belt cover, then its most likely the timing belt seal (which is the camshaft seal?).

1) My concern is how wet the timing belt and inside the cover is, if the oil was coming from that. Mech said if you stop the leak now, the oil inside will dry up over time. I asked how long and he said short period of time, cause dust and the heat will get inside and burn it off. He said if i left it, then the area would be drenched in oil and the belt would slip and then do all sorts of chaos to the engine.

I say you drain the oil, and run the engine to redline. Oh, and make sure you film it and put it up on YouTube. (record in 1080p please)

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I know that everyone is cracking on you.
Not sure why.
I don't intend to.
The oil change got almost all of this garbage out of the engine.
Consider the dilution factor of a fresh fill of oil versus the small amount remaining in the engine after a drain.
Change the oil again after a K or so, and consider the Lucas gone.
Best idea is to avoid putting stuff in the oil that you may later be in a panic about.

He will most likely do one more oil change in the next couple days. Hes already done one after putting the Lukas stuff in.

Originally Posted By: clarklawnscape
leave it alone, leave it in

why leave it alone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back