Baldwin Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought some Baldwin filters for my old Dodge Neon. The Baldwin filter weighs in at 295 grams vs. the Microgard at 220 grams. They are identical in size. Hopefully, the Baldwin is as sturdy as it's weight suggests.

Baldwin is an awesome filter! Not in that it is the highest tech, best ultimate filtration, longest lasting etc... It's none of those. But what it is, is a really well made, solidly built, quality filter sold at a great price point. I would say that as far as the best bang for the buck, it would be a toss up between Purolator classics and Baldwin filters.

I really like Baldwin filters. I especially like that they are in a quality category up there with Wix, and that they are a nice bold red color. Should be on every hot rod instead of that horrible orange Fram can that you see so often in hot rod magazines.

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
... Should be on every hot rod instead of that horrible orange Fram can that you see so often in hot rod magazines.

Which in case you didn't already know, is what your microgaurd really is. IIRC it's oreilly's house brand filter, but it's just a fram w/a black paint job.
to further confirm this, few weeks back i was @ my local Menards, and there amongst the frams, were a couple microgaurd filters. changed over the production line, and a couple made it into the wrong shipping case. - it happens. I work for a Meijer store, and there have been a few times in the frozen food dept, we've accidentally gotten some PUBLIX brand items(pizzas and waffles mostly). same factory, different boxes, couple slipped through. and one time we got an entire skid of great value tall kitchen bags(wally world brand) shipper wouldn't take em back, we obviously couldn't sell em, so for a couple months we had a great(meaning large) supply of trash bags for store use...

Originally Posted By: Bamaro
Are Baldwins unique or are they re-badged under different labels?

Baldwin makes their own I think.. Baldwin is owned by CLARCOR which also owns Hastings and some other industrial filtration brands.

fleetfilter is now starting to carry baldwin filters.

Last edited:
I'm mighty keen on Baldwins as well, built like tanks and lots of good features. Availability at a fair price has been a problem though.

I have no fear of the orange can, but Microgards are now e-cores. Now those are the filters that deserve all the bad raps they get.

Originally Posted By: Texan4Life
Originally Posted By: Bamaro
Are Baldwins unique or are they re-badged under different labels?

Baldwin makes their own I think.. Baldwin is owned by CLARCOR which also owns Hastings and some other industrial filtration brands.

fleetfilter is now starting to carry baldwin filters.

Yes Baldwins are unique, Hastings is Baldwins "value" line both good filters.

Clarcor's Baldwin filters are mainly marketed to industrial and commercial users. Their identical Hastings filters (differ only in paint color and catalog number) are marketed more toward auto usage. Casite is their bargain brand.

Originally Posted By: earlyre
... Should be on every hot rod instead of that horrible orange Fram can that you see so often in hot rod magazines.

Which in case you didn't already know, is what your microgaurd really is. IIRC it's oreilly's house brand filter, but it's just a fram w/a black paint job.
to further confirm this, few weeks back i was @ my local Menards, and there amongst the frams, were a couple microgaurd filters. changed over the production line, and a couple made it into the wrong shipping case. - it happens.

The Microgards, sold at O'Reillys, used to be repainted Frams without the rough grip. Now the latest Microgards (most of them, anyway) are E-Core filters. If you saw two different filters with the same part number, the E-Core has been sitting on the shelf the least amount of time. Of course they are owned by the same company, but two completely different filters. I have no problem running either one of them on an everyday grocery-getter, but I wouldn't run them on anything that needs a silicone ADBV or in a high RPM application.
I've never seen a MicroGard filter sold by Menards, but I guess stranger things have happened.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: redbone3
I just bought some Baldwin filters for my old Dodge Neon. The Baldwin filter weighs in at 295 grams vs. the Microgard at 220 grams. They are identical in size. Hopefully, the Baldwin is as sturdy as it's weight suggests.

The majority of Baldwin oil filters are made in two factories in Nebraska, although they do import some of their numbers from China. I suppose it's possible that they also have some slow-moving numbers that are just repainted filters by various outside manufacturers. Baldwin filters are fairly common on industrial and farm equipment engines. I also saw a TV advertisement for a NAPA store in Nebraska that sells Baldwin filters. I'm sure that fact doesn't go over too well with NAPA headquarters.

Originally Posted By: earlyre

I don't know about my Microguard as I don't recall ever hearing the name Microguard.

My only problem with Baldwin is that for some Ford applications they do not have the base plate end bypass valve that Motorcraft filters have. The Baldwin for a FL1A if good, but the one for the Mountaineer had a dome end bypass, so I opt to use Motorcraft filters on the Mountaineer. As far as I know Motorcraft filters are fine, made by Purolator to Ford's standards.

Baldwin makes top quality filters. I've been using them for over 30 years on everything from our over the road Cat truck engines to farm equipment and cars and light trucks. Fortunately I have a supplier locally that gives me a decent price on Baldwin filters.

Originally Posted By: Kruse

I've never seen a MicroGard filter sold by Menards, but I guess stranger things have happened.

just happend to be walking past the (4x6)wall of orange boxes( to pick up a Quakerstate filter($2-3) for the mower-$10 kohler filter my fanny!), when i saw something too dark out of the corner of my eye, microgaurd filters!?!? did a double take as soon as a saw it, and when i stopped back into the same menards a few days later, still there. should have taken pics.
about a week later i was in the local oreilly dropping off some oil, and made sure i went to check the microgaurd boxes,and sure enough... same boxes.

and yes, TallPaul i should have been more careful with my use of your. sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back