Which 0W-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
2012 Toyota FJ daily driver in the Great White North. the vehicle is still under warranty.

It is also used for pulling a 3500 pound trailer cross country in the heat, taken off roading but also sits in traffic daily and has to start in sub 0 degree weather.

Using 10K oil change intervals using the OEM or TRD filter, what oil out of the these options would you recommend.

Toyota 0W-20, Amsoil 0W-20 XL or Amsoil 0W-20 signature?

My stock pile is depleted so I want to stock up but not sure what oil to choose.

Thanks

Last edited:
Don't forget, that in your owner's manual, Toyota states it is OK to use a heavier grade of oil under severe conditions.

I would use Mobil 1 0w20 due to it's availability and durability (can go 10K). I'm sure the others are great but M1 is usually available at WM in the 5 qt. jug.

All the oils you mentioned are fine, however M1 0-20 has been outstanding in both Fords for me.

I would go Toyota 0w20 + 1 qt of Redline 5w20 as an additive. Redline will increase HTHS for the oil which will help when you are towing. Toyota 0w20 is one of the lightest oils at start up, Redline will make it a bit thicker, not by much. It WILL boost some of the additives in the oil as well.

RL has high amounts of Moly,Phosphorus and Zinc which are all AW agents, and will help keep the wear down under heavy load.

Originally Posted By: bourne
I would go Toyota 0w20 + 1 qt of Redline 5w20 as an additive. Redline will increase HTHS for the oil which will help when you are towing. Toyota 0w20 is one of the lightest oils at start up, Redline will make it a bit thicker, not by much. It WILL boost some of the additives in the oil as well.

RL has high amounts of Moly,Phosphorus and Zinc which are all AW agents, and will help keep the wear down under heavy load.

I like the RL blend but I go with their 0W-20 instead of their very low VI (145) 5W-20. This will still give you the same amount of moly, ZDDP and ester boost, still increase the HTHSV to about 2.7cP while retaining a 200+ VI.

For winter use I'd stick with the Toyota 0W-20 and of the Amsoil choices I'd likely go for the 0W-20 XL for summer towing.

But in light of the summer towing what I'd really do is install an oil pressure gauge an eliminate all the guessing as to whether an oil heavier than the Toyota 0W-20 is even necessary.

0w30 for summer severe service in the absence of an OP guage IMO.

All the options listed above are excellent lubes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back