Honda Fit battery too small.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why does Honda think it is a good idea to use a battery the size scooters use in their Fits? Especially when the car does turn it's headlights off automatically and has tons of accessaries lights. Small batteries cost the same as medium batteries commonly used by many other vehicles. A good size battery will ensures better capacity, good crank ability in cold weather, all of which equate to stress-free driving. I now carry a good jump box and jump cable just in case I forgot my lights on.

Have you had problems with your battery?

We've got 65k on our 09 Fit and never once has it needed a jump or otherwise not started. Should I be concerned?

Same reason why Mazda Miata's had Group U1R batteries for so long, less weight. At least they had the right idea and mounted it in the rear.

Originally Posted By: Pajamarama
Have you had problems with your battery?

We've got 65k on our 09 Fit and never once has it needed a jump or otherwise not started. Should I be concerned?

It depends on your commute. I have a 38 miles commute that takes about 45-60 minutes so I only have to worry to turn the headlights off, especially since my fog lights are set to be auto-on as we'll. my 2002 Accord has auto off lights and no running lights but my 2012 Fit has running lights and no auto-off. My wife leaves the headlights on constantly with the Accord. I worry that if she drives the Fit she would not remember and be stranded. My 92 Corolla has an average size battery that headlights can be left on for 6 hours with no problems.

Since installs a secondary battery requires venting for safety and running wires through the dash and firewall, I decide to keep a good quality jump box from Costco and a 12-foot Diehard 4 gauge jump cable meant for diesel truck. I can't tell which battery of larger size will fit into the Fit as the compartment is oddly shaped. The funny is that the Fit has an oversized alternator, which is important as its AC is known to work harder to cool such a large volume with too many parasitic windows.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Same reason why Mazda Miata's had Group U1R batteries for so long, less weight. At least they had the right idea and mounted it in the rear.

How do they vent acidic gas? I know Bimmer and a lot of European cars put battery in the trunk and use those oversized batteries which now only run about 20 dollars more than the average sized batteries but has much better utilities. While I dread European reliability, I applaud them for going with large batteries, oil sump capacity, etc.

As for weight saving, I'd rather loose weight and keep my car junk free to get larger fuel tank, battery, alternator, full spare, and oil sump.

Originally Posted By: M1Accord
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

How do they vent acidic gas? I know Bimmer and a lot of European cars put battery in the trunk and use those oversized batteries which now only run about 20 dollars more than the average sized batteries but has much better utilities. While I dread European reliability, I applaud them for going with large batteries, oil sump capacity, etc.

They had a vent tube vented to outside I think near the rear wheel if I remember correctly.

To the OP, check on FitFreak forums this has been discussed and if I remember correctly when I had my Fit someone found a solution.

Last edited:
Honda does no wrong. Their battery is perfectly specified, and any of the issues you cited are user errors, because my comment above still stands.

Id say weight.

The reason I am complaining is that I plan on installing an inverter directly to the battery to run accessarries such as iPad, cellphones, GPS, and laptop. I know my alternator can handle the load which isn't much since I rarely use AC and don't crank the music loud at all but as a camping vehicle I want to enjoy some electronics especially on road trips. Civic has two 12-volt chargers but Fit only has one and I avoid using it for fear of damaging it. I save the for emergency or GPS. The same is for the USB interface, I plug an adapter to it so to avoid having to unplug/plug directly on the car USB interface and damage it. I lost 3 of my laptop USB interface over time and hate to see the same happened to the car. The adapter is only 2 dollars and people throw them away at work when they come as extra.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Honda does no wrong. Their battery is perfectly specified, and any of the issues you cited are user errors, because my comment above still stands.

Id say weight.

PMS? And what comment above? This is your first jab.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Id say weight.

PMS? And what comment above? This is your first jab.

I thought it was a funny! (comment above = Honda can do no wrong)

Actually, Ill bet it is finely specified, assuming that you have a decently rated alternator.

too small of a battery on a Fit? Yes, indeed. does it get it's job done (even in -28C w/o block heater)? Yes, with 5W20 conventional motor oil, it still turns over nicely without missing a beat (in my late 06 fit, that is).

As for your front headlight issue: there should be a chime when you accidentally leave your headlights on when you turn off the ignition...if yours doesn't chime (well, mine does), yours has a problem.

Mine has been serving me well for the past 6+yrs, rain or shine. I do not/cannot baby it with indoor heated garage (that's reserved for my wifey and kids car---da camry), so it's been left out in the elements. I started it in the coldest winter mornings in the interiors, I run A/C during summers, never missed a beat so far.

Q.

If you wife leaves the lights on often you could add a 12 volt automotive coil being energized by the ignition, and one of the normally open contacts interrupting the power wire to the running beam ,another normally open contact interrupting the power wire to the high beam, and another normally open contact interrupting the running lights.

I added a slightly higher capacity Miata battery to our Fit for this reason. Besides being higher capacity, the Miata battery was half the price of the Honda battery, and can be found at 7:45 PM on a rainy night at a fair number of auto parts stores.

A motorcycle sized engine requires a motorcycle sized battery (I'm half joking here) .

I think you'll be fine with the small battery. We now install tiny batteries in our stunt planes with huge engines. There really is no need for larger batteries.

The reason I am complaining is that I plan on installing an inverter directly to the battery to run accessarries such as iPad, cellphones, GPS, and laptop.

Correct me if I am wrong: you plan on adding significant draw to power non-automotive devices and this is somehow Honda's fault that they didn't plan for this. Do I have this right?

Originally Posted By: Pajamarama
The reason I am complaining is that I plan on installing an inverter directly to the battery to run accessarries such as iPad, cellphones, GPS, and laptop.

Correct me if I am wrong: you plan on adding significant draw to power non-automotive devices and this is somehow Honda's fault that they didn't plan for this. Do I have this right?

thats what Im trying to get to as well. What is the voltage of the electric bus in the car with all the loads operating and the car on? I assume the OP isnt trying to run this stuff long-term off the battery, it isnt what the battery is intended to do.

Bigger batteries have lower impedance and can throw more amps under cranking with less voltage drop, that's all. Does a tiny engine need this? Perhaps not. If not, why add the weight? Commonality is smart, but it doesnt mean that a group 49 battery is needed.

but the battery shouldnt be used to support the load, it should be used to buffer the loads in some cases and that is it. the charging system should support the stuff OP is trying to run. If the charging system cannot keep up, then that is a Honda design flaw or an excessive load set.

My Cherokee had what I considered to be a lawnmower battery in it when I bought it ... worked great, oddly enough.

It's a 1.8L engine that doesn't have super high compression.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back