Rav4 ATF/Dealership SNAFU

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was on a road trip a few weeks ago, riding in the back of a friend's 2006 Rav4. It had 125,000 miles. Trying to accelerate at 65 up a hill, there was a rather awful shudder, grinding noise, and loss of power.

Driver: Did you hear that?

Me: Yeah. It sounded like us walking.

D: It does that on the highway when I'm going up a hill. I brought it to the dealer and told them I thought it was the gears. They ran diagnostics and said it was fine. I've been to both Toyota dealers now. I have the receipts here (hands them to me).

Sure enough, both dealerships charged her for transmission diagnostics and found no problem.

At the next rest stop, I pulled the dipstick. It was awful - like used motor oil out of my diesel truck. Completely black and burnt smelling, and I mean black - not a trace of translucency or red. I'm guessing it was the factory fill at 125k. How did they miss that at two dealerships? I partially blame Toyota for not specifying a flush in the suggested maintenance. She's had all maintenance done at dealerships since she bought it at 30k. Before anyone says so, no I did not accidentally pull the oil dipstick. It was the transmission dipstick with the rubber ball on the end.

I didn't have time to deal with it myself before heading home, but I sent her to a good mechanic I knew (they live in my hometown). His diagnosis was the same as mine. The fluid had been there for twice as long as it should have been. He told her that the transmission was likely failing, and discussed a few options. He was afraid that a flush would cause catastrophic failure, and told her that her best bet would be to contact the dealership or Toyota Corporate first and ask why nobody figured it out before that since she'd been there for 19 oil changes and other services since 2008.

Well, she went to the dealership, and traded it in for a new 2012 Rav. So, that's as far as it ever went.

I'd be tempted to flush via the cooler lines with Amsoil ATL and see what happens. Oh well. Fun story. I told her to make use of the maintenance guide and add "transmission flush" at 60k.

Nobody figured it out because Toyota doesn't specify a change interval for that fluid to the best of my recollection. I changed the transmission fluid in a co-worker's 2007 RAV4 a few weekends ago. She had never changed it and it had 112,000 miles on it. And yes, it was quite black. Transmission shifted fine, though. It specified WS, so I used the Toyota fluid, but realized later that I could have/should have used Valvoline MaxLife ATF instead. Next time...

My wife has a 2007 Camry. 4cyl. Toyota does not recommend changing the fluid until 100,000 miles. I changed it at your 85,000 miles and it looked horrible. Very black with no red color. Same as your yours. I put amsoil atf/WS with no issues so far. If I had to do it over I would have changed it at 50,000 miles. That is just me...

Yes, WS is considered lifetime fill.

I've serviced one yaris at 90k and the fluid did appear like mud. Thankfully it shifted fine before and after...

By the time the car stops moving forward and makes grinding noises, the time for flushing has past - that transmission is toast...

Your friend actually did the right thing, I think, in this case - she would have been paying for a new/rebuilt trans very, very soon.

I agree completely that "sealed for life" is a crock - it gets the OEM through the warranty period with lower maintenance costs, but it does nothing for the owner that wishes to get a long life from the car...

Yeah, I'm just amazed that nobody pulled the dipstick when she came in complaining of transmission issues. Or, maybe they saw black fluid and have been told by Toyota that it's normal.

Well, now the dealer that ignored the problem has a Rav with a shot transmission. I imagine it'll go to auction though. Hopefully another decent person doesn't get stuck with it.

This annoys me. We have a 2009 RAV4 with the 4 cylinder and 4-speed. The manual has NO interval for changing the trans fluid. I went to the dealer to buy some WS recently since I have done a 3 quart drain and fill at 30K and 60K. The guy asked me how many miles I had and I said 60K...he almost wouldn't sell me the fluid saying it didn't need to be changed until 100K. I told him the manual says it never needs changed, and he said they do it at 100K at that dealer. Either way, lifetime is [censored] and Toyota needs to specify at least a 100K interval. At both 30K and 60K the fluid was clean and red, but still, it was noticeably darker and more purplish than the new stuff. I'll keep draining 3 quarts every 30K in ours and that ought to keep it fresh and clean.

Last edited:
This annoys me, too, but not because I own a RAV4 (although my sister does).

What grinds my gears is when manufacturers claim that something is "filled for life" or "never needs changing" when everyone who knows anything about cars knows that's a crock. I shudder to think how many cars are prematurely put out to pasture because of something that could have been avoided for a few measly dollars, or how many people had to pay big money they could ill afford to have the transmission rebuilt when doing even ONE fluid exchange in the vehicle's life would have prevented it.

Forget the fact that I have a natural interest and actually enjoy servicing my fleet...I just look at all the money I've saved over the years.

"Half my money was spent on booze, cars, and gambling. The other half I squandered."

The term "filled for life" means your life. Not the car's. Manufactures expect the owner to sell the car even before the car itself reaches the recommended mileage for change. And by that time the car will be out of warranty and it won't be an issue for the manufacturer. My 99 BMW with the manual transmission says to not change the transmission fluid or the diff fluid.

Last edited:
I hear so much of this my 06 Tacoma WS filled I have been doing yearly drain fills every year since new cherry red every drain fill but staying on top of it is easy 30min job tops. Never trusted fill for life hype.

For those that are changing their fluid at high mileage I hope you are doing a few (3 is a good number) drain and fills with some driving in between to get most of the old [censored] out...

Originally Posted By: N7Quarian
The term "filled for life" means your life. Not the car's. Manufactures expect the owner to sell the car even before the car itself reaches the recommended mileage for change.

Good point. No doubt that's the intended definition of "lifetime".

Lord help the 2nd and 3rd owners!

Does the RAV4 still use a 4spd auto? Is it what used to be used in the Camry?

Joel

This is why I take care of my own vehicles maintenance.
I can't believe that the people we're paying good money to, can't get it right especially something as simple as checking the ATF!

Remember guys that nowadays dark fluid isn't to be condemned automatically. With the automakers using carbon in their clutch materials, it will discolor the ATF sooner and make it look worse than it is.

Keep in mind that I'm not advocating to never service your auto box, (even the "sealed for life units") but outside of fluid analysis, lets use some common sense. Yearly drain and fills may be a bit extreme. Your nose can usually give you an idea of the fluid's condition along with knowing it's age. 50k miles on a modern fluid in a auto box not known for being problematic isn't out of line.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Remember guys that nowadays dark fluid isn't to be condemned automatically. With the automakers using carbon in their clutch materials, it will discolor the ATF sooner and make it look worse than it is.

Keep in mind that I'm not advocating to never service your auto box, (even the "sealed for life units") but outside of fluid analysis, lets use some common sense. Yearly drain and fills may be a bit extreme. Your nose can usually give you an idea of the fluid's condition along with knowing it's age. 50k miles on a modern fluid in a auto box not known for being problematic isn't out of line.

I agree. I changed my Tacoma's at 70k for the first time. It wasn't bad, but nearing the end of its life.

Her ATF was jet black, opaque, smelled completely burned, and was inconsistent on a paper towel - with visible particulate matter. Why the mechanics at two Toyota dealerships didn't pull the dipstick and see/smell that after she came in with transmission problems, I don't know.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric

The reason I do it every 30K (on my Honda too) is that I only drain 3 quarts and it holds 8.6 quarts (in the case of the RAV). That's only changing out 35% of the fluid to freshen it up. If one were to wait until 70-100K, then I'd definitely do 3X drain and fill driving in between to get it all out. For me, it's easier to do 1X drain and fill every 30K to keep them fresh and clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back