Valvoline SynPower Oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been reading BITOG forums for a while and concluded that Pennzoil Platium is one of the best synthetic Oils and I have also read that it is a Group III+ Base oil that is a GTL ( Gas-To-Liquid ) that is on par with PAO Base Oils, recently I have read many UOA's for Valvoline SynPower Oils and I have been impressed by the results. Does anyone know what Base Oils Valvoline uses ?

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: DanMiller
I have been reading BITOG forums for a while and concluded that Pennzoil Platium is one of the best synthetic Oils and I have also read that it is a Group III+ Base oil that is a GTL ( Gas-To-Liquid ) that is on par with PAO Base Oils, recently I have read many UOA's for Valvoline SynPower Oils and I have been impressed by the results. Does anyone know what Base Oils Valvoline uses ?

Thanks.

I'm a big Valvoline fan. All I do know is that it has a
pour point of -42*C vs -39*C for the Platinum. They must
be using some PAO in the mix.

I'm also a fan of Valvoline. I don't know what they use. Most people around here will tell you it doesn't matter, and I agree. It's the performance of the product that really matters. That's what you're buying. You're not really buying a PAO oil, you're buying an oil that performs well. I think Valvoline tends to be under rated because they don't look awesome in a VOA.

Originally Posted By: 2KBMW
I'm a big Valvoline fan. All I do know is that it has a pour point of -42*C vs -39*C for the Platinum. They must be using some PAO in the mix.

Except that pour point is not a very useful value when it comes to cold flow pumpability. The 5w-30 grade of PP has much better MRV@-35C than does Synpower 5w-30.

I`d emailed Valvoline awhile back,and they told me they are a grp III/IV mix.

Last edited:
Hi thanks that is what I expected most large Oil companies are using Type III Base Oils, it seems that Valvoline has a well formulated oil.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I`d emailed Valvoline awhile back,and they told me they are a grp III/IV mix.

Yup. That's what their FAQ says as well...

Quote:

19. What group of base oils is used in the formulation of SynPower?

Valvoline uses a mixture of Group III and Group IV basestocks.

20. Does SynPower use polyalphaolefin (PAO) base stocks?

Yes. Valvoline uses a mixture of Group III and Group IV basestocks.

http://www.valvoline.com/faqs/motor-oil/full-synthetic-motor-oil/37

The Valvoline SynPower UOAs I have seen don't have Moly in them however there wear numbers look good does anyone know what they use as a friction reducer ?

The Valvoline SynPower UOAs I have seen don't have Moly in them however there wear numbers look good does anyone know what they use as a friction reducer ?

Boron, if I am not mistaken?

Originally Posted By: dparm
Like most other OTS name-brand synthetics, it's a blend of group III+/IV/V.

I don't believe there is any POE/group 5 in Valvoline at least, and not much (IF any) in any other OTS/China Mart available oils (except for maybe G-Oil).

In looking at Valvolines UOA there is a good one that you can see it compared to PP and Mobil in previous oil changes with roughly the same Mileage and the Wear Numbers look best on the Valvoline and they are not using Moly so I was puzzled as to what friction reducer they are using it seems to work better than the Moly the others are using ?

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

Boron, if I am not mistaken?

They use no boron, they use sodium instead. Synpower has great uoa for NON extended oci. If you want to extend OCI, synpower is usually not the choice to use due to tbn depletion, of couse vehicle and condition dependent.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
In a low stressed engined with no winter starts to speak of, any motor oil will produce low wear numbers as that thread indicated.

Yet Valvoline continues to produce low wear numbers all across the board with several UOA's.

I'm sure not all of them were on ideal engines in ideal conditions.

Hi so they use Sodium as a friction reducer ?

Correct me if i'm wrong, but I believe boron and sodium are both used as detergents, not anti wear additives. I don't think anyone really knows what Valvoline uses for anti wear additives. Speculation is that they use something that doesn't show up on a uoa.

It is possible that Valvoline are not using anything for a friction reducer ? Is 100 ppm Moly really doing anything I know it have been shown to help in some tests but in real world applications does it do anything at that level ?
Update: I should have said .. Is it possible Valovline isn't using anything other that Zinc as a friction reducer.

Last edited:
In the UOA's I have seen for Valvoline the wear numbers have mostly looked good on pare with one of BITOG favorite oils PP and they don't seem to use Moly. The only thing I have read bad about Valvoline is it isn't a long drain oil because of a lower TBN.
It seems they have done a nice job with their blending. And they might be using a fiction reducer that isn't showing up on UOAs I am curious about that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back