Havoline 5/20 6628mi 10 F150 FX4 5.4

Status
Not open for further replies.
First test on the truck. Have used a variety of oils. All 5/20. PYB, MC, QSUD, Havoline. Has QS Green Bottle in it now. This run was the longest of any. Most were in 4500-5500 range.

MI on Oil 6628
MI on Unit 40793
Sample Date 8/15/12

Aluminum 4
Chromium 1
Iron 16
Copper 3
Lead 1
Tin 3
Moly 143
Nickel 0
Manganese 1
Silver 0
Titanium 0
Potassium 2
Boron 23
Silicon 16
Sodium 6
Calcium 2132
Magnesium 15
Phosphorus 638
Zinc 775
Barium 0

SUS @ 210 52.1
cSt @ 100 7.92
Flashpoint 400
Fuel Antifreeze 0
Water 0
Insolubles 0.2
TBN 1.0

Last edited:
Living in dusty West Texas I was worried that might be an issue. I change the air filter every 15K miles. Thinking I may need to do it sooner.

You're throwing money away changing the air filter any faster than 15,000 miles. I wouldn't even change it that quickly.

A cleaner air filter element doesn't mean cleaner air going to the engine. The filter's job is to trap dirt, it doesn't magically start bypassing dirt when it becomes "full".

Last edited:
Nice UOA Would buy some of it if I could find it at a decent price. My Wally doesnt have it and the cost saving is gone if you drive to one who has nice.

Again Good report

Not sure which filter that you are using, but MC filters have been a little "so-so" with regards to silicon levels. I recently switched to NapaGold and the silicon levels seemed to have dropped quite a bit for me. On my 2010, the Napa filters fit more snugly than the MC filters did.

Could be a coincidence, but I am thinking it is not:

Code:
Air Filter: NG NG NG NG{C} MC MC MC MC{C} MC MC MC MC MC MC

Truck Mileage: 80,927 74,447 69,305 62,055 54,575 47,075 39,770 32,280 27,100 21,600 16,600 10,600 4,500 991

Silicon: 11 12 13 11 16 19 21 19 19 17 16 29 45 111

{C} indicates a filter change

As for the UOA, I'd say that is just more proof of how well a thin dino can do, even in a truck. The wear is admirably low and all else is fine with the exception of the Si (which is not bad, but has the potential to be better).

As for the Si, consider a different filter as noted above. Also, I recall some info from Jim Allen about the performance of an air filter. Something like 90% of the particulate passed by the air filter is in the first 10% of filter life? (I'm swagging it here, so don't crucify me if I got the numbers a bit off). The point to learn is that changing filters more often than necessary is actually detrimental! As the media loads, it gets more beneficial to keep it in service. Use a quality filter and leave it in there for a while!

I would encourage you to run out your OCIs to 7.5K miles as Ford allows. There is nothing in your report that would suggest otherwise.

In this case wear is very low. He's at 6.6k miles; adding less than 1k miles to make it to the OEM OCI of 7.5k miles is not any big stretch.

TBN, by itself, is not a sole reason for condemnation. If he had TAN, it would make the decision easier. But the wear metals certainly are telling him it's OK. He has no contamination to speak of. The vis and FP are fine. The insolubles are very low; oxidation is not an issue at all.

As stated above, the Si could be lower, but it's not grossly detrimental at this point to be sure. Trying a different air filter and leaving it in longer might bring the Si down, and perhaps even help with the Fe (which is not high, nor cause of concern here, but might be brought down).

So, yes, 7.5k miles is very safe and very doable. However, he's transitioned to QSGB, so there is no ability to make direct comparisons with singular UOAs, brand to brand.

What we can take comfort in is that OEM OCIs are typically very conservative. This UOA proves the point, along with a lot of others, that "normal" use with "normal" fluids results in very "normal" (ie acceptable) wear.

Last edited:
What would be the point of running this oil out to 7.5K?
The OP got his money's worth out of this relatively inexpensive oil in the run he did and he ran it to the point that TBN is done.
This UOA looks really good.
Should the OP run the oil to the point that the UOA gets worse?
I prefer to leave a little oil life on the table at changes and the three UOAs I've posted here reflect that.
Life happens, as does really cold weather, so I like to plan changes at an interval that I know I can pass through by at least 1K with no problem.
Oil and filters are certainly cheap enough, since the deals on both seem never to end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back