Pentius PLB6607 cut open (Pic heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cut open Pentius brand oil filter. Not pictured: filter came sealed with plastic over business end. Filter states made in China. I counted 44 non-metal pleats + 1 metal joiner.

This is my first posted oil filter dissection so please excuse if pics aren't perfect.

I see nothing horrible with this filter. Seems to be of decent construction.

DSCF5404.jpg

DSCF5410.jpg

DSCF5407.jpg

DSCF5415.jpg

DSCF5411.jpg

DSCF5405.jpg

DSCF5420.jpg

There is a "16" molded into bypass plug. I don't know if it is a psi rating or just a part number

DSCF5416.jpg

Being made in China doesn't mean anything by itself because the Chinese will build anything, to any quality standard - it just gets a bad rep because of the people who elect to have them produce rock-bottom quality goods at a low price point.

That being said, I will tell you that the filter looks gorgeous and the build quality looks as good as any filter I've seen cut open. If the filtration media can be demonstrated to be any good at all, I'd buy these over a Purolator any day.

By just cutting a filter open and looking at the construction....means nothing. There are plenty of filters built all over the world that are constructed well.

The question is : How good does the media filter? This media looks beautiful....but does it filter well? Is the manufacturer providing provable info on efficiency.

I continue to stay with filters built in the U.S. such as Purolator PureOnes, Classics,... Motorcraft and others...that have proven media....and give jobs and paychecks to American workers.

I was merely trying to add to the knowledgebase on this site.

Some people were curious about this brand (including myself).

I made no commentary on their country of manufacture. Rather, with Pentius being a Korean company, I noted that this particular filter was not made in S. Korea.

I was showing what a sub $2 filter looks like on this inside. Nothing more.

On the first couple pictures the filter media looks very thick and seems to filter well. From the pictures alone I would say the filter is good for 8-10k miles OCI.

I was very curious about them as well, I saw them on rockauto. Great pics BTW,thanks for taking the time to post this. I know it's a little off topic but I bought a couple of pentius air filters (made in china also)for my volvo a few months back they looked good unfortunately they wouldn't quite fit the air cleaner box, got the mann brand instead.

Thanks Malibu for expanding our knowledge base. The visuals are only part of the picture. The Chinese knockoff Rolex looks good too but does it keep time like a Rolex and is it really gold?

Originally Posted By: javacontour
IIRC, it looks similar to the Driveworks filters I've seen at AAP.

I agree. The base plate looks the same. Seeing the inside of this makes me feel a litle better about the Driveworks filters I got in the oil change specials.

I was going to say the same thing.

It looks well constructed. Be interesting to know how it stacks up in the ISO efficiency testing. Looks alone don't get you good filtering performance.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian

I continue to stay with filters built in the U.S. such as Purolator PureOnes, Classics,... Motorcraft and others...that have proven media....and give jobs and paychecks to American workers.

Ignorance is bliss.
Look up the Pentius website about the company. First sentence says, the company is owned and operated in USA.

It also says this company use to manufacture OEM parts for Korean-car maker DaeWoo until 2011. Didn't Daewoo go under awhile back?

Thanks to the OP for sacrificing this filter for the masses.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder

I was going to say the same thing.

+1 Does look well made like the China made DW. But as has been said, looks is only a small part of the equation, without efficiency information, difficult to tell the filter's real value.

Thanks for the pics.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
It looks well constructed. Be interesting to know how it stacks up in the ISO efficiency testing. Looks alone don't get you good filtering performance.

+1....well said and exactly my point.

Originally Posted By: ludey
Oregoonian said:

Ignorance is bliss.
Look up the Pentius website about the company. First sentence says, the company is owned and operated in USA.(quote)

Paychecks go to Chinese workers. Didn't you see the "Made in China" on the can? Pentius outsources its manufacturing to China.

ludey....the ignorance is on your part. I was talking about where the filters were manufactured.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back