2011 M3 V8 - Mobil 1 0W40 - 2851 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here it is, looks like my motor wears quite normally even though I'm breaking some rules and running a lighter oil. Compared to some reports I found on m3post.com, my results actually show slightly better wear as far as iron and copper, and guess what? No signs of lead (bearings) wear!

I'm quite happy with the result, and I'm thinking about trying Penn Ultra 5W40 next.

Collection of other M3s running 10W60 ---> http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310230&highlight=oil+analysis

M3_S65_Report.jpg

Why do you want to change oil ? What are your goals ?

The M1 0w40 performed beautifully.....and IMO...with a 6.8 TBN.... your next OCI could easily go to at least 5K...maybe more.

M1 0w40....is considered a premium, top-tier oil by many BITOG'ers. Why would you want to use anything else?

Why change ?

Thanks for posting your results!
I'm running the same oil in my 335i. I'm about to pull a sample for testing and it will be a interesting comparison with your results.

I'm thinking about adding one qt of M1 Racing 0W-50 to each oil change. Has anyone ran this mix and had it tested?

Originally Posted By: Wasted4e

I'm thinking about adding one qt of M1 Racing 0W-50 to each oil change. Has anyone ran this mix and had it tested?

There was a guy on here not too long ago, that claimed he ran a 50/50 mix of M1R 0w50 and M1 0w20 AFE (green cap) and he ran in several high performance vehicles and claimed he always got near zero wear from his UOA's. I think this is an interesting mix, if you ask me....considering the base stocks of each and the additive packages of each as well.

I'm pretty sure the oil is serving your 335i very well.

My analysis showed great results considered that I do a lot of short trips and a dyno run in 104F so. cal heat was performed with this sample.

I'm going to do a track event next month, I will install a new batch of M1 0W40 and let's see how well the oil holds up in higher operating temp.

Using this oil for a track day when the engine was spec'd for 10W-60 is crazy. If someone lived where harsh winters were the norm 0W-40 or 5W-50 would be justifiable for daily driving. There's no reason to not use the recommended Castrol 10W-60- which is outstanding by all accounts- in SoCal year round for everything.

Last edited:
Actually it's already been done before by a fellow member on m3post.com, he did multiple track days with a 10W40 oil.

Originally Posted By: vinu_neuro
Using this oil for a track day when the engine was spec'd for 10W-60 is crazy. If someone lived where harsh winters were the norm 0W-40 or 5W-50 would be justifiable for daily driving. There's no reason to not use the recommended Castrol 10W-60- which is outstanding by all accounts- in SoCal year round for everything.

Originally Posted By: Leonardo629
Actually it's already been done before by a fellow member on m3post.com, he did multiple track days with a 10W40 oil.

Omg some other guy did it, it must be ok. Your car has 7,500 miles on it and I already pity the next owner.

I don't get it, I have UOA results to back me up, and the "other" guy that did it also got great results from his UOA with 10W40 oil....why the negativity?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Leonardo629
I don't get it, I have UOA results to back me up

Your one shot UOA doesn't really tell you that much about how that oil works in your M3. To decide that you can run track days with it and not break something is a little sketchy at best.

It might work, it might not. The question is why do you want to test it, and are you willing to accept what happens if it doesn't?

This is how some people respond when you tell them you're using anything other than Castrol TWS 10W60 in your M3. When I was researching E46 M3s I noticed that they used oil that was not only hard to find but very expensive. I looked through other threads about a possible viable replacement that is more cost effective and easier to find and pretty much every thread starter got ripped apart. The main argument was "You have $XXX amount of money to buy an M3 so why cheap out on oil!" which is true to some extent but I can see why you would want to try something else based on cost, availability, or just something you think works better. At the end of the day it's your car and completely up to you. Do I think you'll have oil related problems with using a different oil? I don't know I stopped researching after the forum set me straight and after I realized as much as I loved the idea of having an M3 I just couldn't afford to maintain it. Good luck and keep doing UOAs.

It isn't crazy if he monitors his oil temp and pressure. Without that data, yes, it is gambling for sure.

That being said, cars from MB and Porsche run this oil as their track lubricant. This isn't some pansy oil that should be relegated for arctic conditions; it is a heavily certified performer, meeting the most demanding performance criteria of any lube on the market.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
This isn't some pansy oil that should be relegated for arctic conditions

So, you're saying that people who live in artic conditions are pansies?
wink.gif
You're banished to Thunder Bay (or worse) for the winter!

Originally Posted By: adolan21
This is how some people respond when you tell them you're using anything other than Castrol TWS 10W60 in your M3. When I was researching E46 M3s I noticed that they used oil that was not only hard to find but very expensive. I looked through other threads about a possible viable replacement that is more cost effective and easier to find and pretty much every thread starter got ripped apart. The main argument was "You have $XXX amount of money to buy an M3 so why cheap out on oil!" which is true to some extent but I can see why you would want to try something else based on cost, availability, or just something you think works better. At the end of the day it's your car and completely up to you. Do I think you'll have oil related problems with using a different oil? I don't know I stopped researching after the forum set me straight and after I realized as much as I loved the idea of having an M3 I just couldn't afford to maintain it. Good luck and keep doing UOAs.

1. Redline makes a 5W-50, and even a 10W-60. Apparently, their oils perform the same as one full grade heavier, and their 0W-40 is more like a 50. If I ever had a BMW I may just do that. Would be interested in how that holds up to a marathon 6-hour or so flogging on 100+ degree track day in South Florida. And Redline 5W-50 is thicker than Castrol TWS 10W-60.

2. I agree with your post.

3. It is interesting that BMWs come with an oil temperature gauge and not an oil pressure gauge.

4. I too would be interested in how M1 0W-40 does. If not M1 15W-50. These two have been said to be Mobil's two best oils.. Mobil is absolutely decent. Its when Redline and AMSOIL enter that the competition heats up.

5. With the oils in Point 4, you basically dont need Royal Purple unless you feel like it, and have some old Synerlec stuff (or new HPS. Has Synerlec in it.)

I appreciate all the inputs so far guys.

I just need to come clean on something, I'm using M1 0W40 not to save a few bucks, I'm using it because of the excellent pkg Mobil put together. It is also the oil of choice by other high performance application, Porsche, Nissan GT-R..etc..etc.

So my one shot UOA does not tell the whole story? If this oil is not protecting the vital parts of the motor, wouldn't elevated wear be shown in the UOA?

I have no doubt TWS is a great choice when you race the car, but for the driving (short trips, occasional spirited driving) I do, I really do think M1 0W40 is a great choice, and the UOA speaks for itself.

I will always wonder, would TWS still be recommended if BMW never had that bad batch of bearings in the S54 motors.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

It isn't crazy if he monitors his oil temp and pressure. Without that data, yes, it is gambling for sure.

That being said, cars from MB and Porsche run this oil as their track lubricant. This isn't some pansy oil that should be relegated for arctic conditions; it is a heavily certified performer, meeting the most demanding performance criteria of any lube on the market.

I have used M1 0W-40 for many a track day in my car in 100+ degree heat and for all day sessions. results confirmed by UOA were always excellent. Note that oil temps have been logged at just shy of 300 degrees peak!

The SRT boys are serious and spec'd this brand for a reason, not just for the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back