Zn: 1023, 1092, 1096

185224 miles
1 quart added between samples.
Fuel Dilution % vol: 0, 0.8, 1.0
KV100: 12.4, 12.5, 12.7
TBN: 9.7, 3.9, 3.7
Oxidation: 18, 41, 40
Nitration: 7, 14, 14

Polaris Comments: Infrared results indicate oxidation is severly high. Base number is slightly low.

Not a lot of miles between oil samples on this one, but I thought it was important to get the effect of three track days in hot weather. I thought oxidation was going to be worse but it seems to have stabilized, and the base number was getting close to Polaris' 35% threshold for a change recommendation. The KV100 has been on a slight upward trend over two samples. Maybe this oil could have gone longer, but not by much. I now have Redline 5w30 in it.

I don't know. The car doesn't have an oil temperature gauge. The oil pressure while running hard on the track in a hot day runs below 40 psi when I look at it on a long straight. I wouldn't be surprised if it was close to 300 F.

Have you done any mods to the car? Cam, Heads, Headders, suspension stuff? I have a 97 LT1 M6 Camaro that is my fun car too. I autocross and PDX with it it's so much fun. I also run Mobil 1 0w40 or 5w40 which ever I and get cheaper.

Only bolt-ons to the engine: cat-back exhaust, K&N filter, SLP airbox.

Suspension mods: Eibach ProKit springs, SLP Bilstein shocks up front, Koni single-adjustables in the rear, Spohn adjustable Panhard bar, Edelbrock strut tower brace.

Brakes: homemade C5 front brake conversion kit, and air cooling ducts for cooling the calipers. Hawk HT10 pads all around.

17" Camaro SS wheels and Nitto NT05 tires are what I'm running currently, but I've had better tires. These Nitto's seem to need more inflation pressure than Kumho's I've used before.

Cool, I to am running the NT05's on SS wheels and express your same feelings. You have 185K on the car? Why are you trying such long drain intervals? You added one quart between samples, so it's consuming one quart in 1k miles?

OT, but of you can find Hankook RS3s in your size, you won't be disappointed!

robert

Originally Posted By: rodinator1234
Cool, I to am running the NT05's on SS wheels and express your same feelings. You have 185K on the car? Why are you trying such long drain intervals? You added one quart between samples, so it's consuming one quart in 1k miles?

Yes, I've owned it since new, and have always changed oil according to the OLM. That gives me a 7500-mile OCI under street conditions. Less when I do track days. I've been playing with extending the OCI's past the OLM because it is programmed with the assumption that conventional oil is being used. Since I'm using synthetics, I should be able to extend them safely if I'm paying close attention to the oil condition via UOA's. So far, it seems like 9000 will be my limit.

I run it a half-quart over full during track days, and it burns off that half quart in a day. In street driving, it only uses a quart in about 6000 miles.

Originally Posted By: robertcope
OT, but of you can find Hankook RS3s in your size, you won't be disappointed!

robert

I checked out the Hankook RS3's on Tire Rack's website, but they don't make them in my size.
frown.gif

Bummer, I guess ou need to get a trailer and some NT01s, then. They're my favorite track tire. Maybe not the best, but the best price-performance IMHO.

robert

Ok that makes more sense now. I was just curious about the consumption I run 1/2 a quart or so over on track days to in my LT1 car. I also have a catch can, and after 3, 20 min sessions it has quite a bit of oil in it, a amazing amount in fact. But it doesn't quite consume the whole half a quart, it's still over filled when I'm done. I assume it's sucking some past the valve seals as well especially if I don't quite match shift and use the engine to brake, which I try not to do but it happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back