VIrgin Autopsy- Fram XG2 Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read the posts of the efficiency going up with a used filter too. I worry about flow rate and going into bypass more often in colder weather. just me... On my cars with cartridge filters, I change my filter midway through the OCI. OCD, I'm sure... Good luck with whatever you decide.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
Leaky: COnfirmed! It is Ultra media. The color varies a bit in production.

So they switched to a single thick ply with a screen which has 99% efficiency and an extra 5k of filter life over the Xtended Guard. Interesting.

I wouldn't swear to that... if you pulled on opposite sides of the Ultra media shown in Jim's pictures, it might just cleanly separate into two layers like the XG media did. Its very hard to tell if there are two layers or not without actually digging at it with your fingers or tweezers.

And besides, I don't get all excited about "two layer media!" hype anyway. If one of the layers tends to clog faster than the other, then you're wasting capacity. I think its quite possible to design a single-layer media that works as well or better than a two-layer media.

Originally Posted By: johnachak
I read the posts of the efficiency going up with a used filter too. I worry about flow rate and going into bypass more often in colder weather. just me... On my cars with cartridge filters, I change my filter midway through the OCI. OCD, I'm sure... Good luck with whatever you decide.

Thanks. I have that same fear, time to find out. The car's old, I'm willing to test on it. Will buy a spare just in case anything sounds funny.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Leaky: COnfirmed! It is Ultra media. The color varies a bit in production.

So they switched to a single thick ply with a screen which has 99% efficiency and an extra 5k of filter life over the Xtended Guard. Interesting.

I wouldn't swear to that... if you pulled on opposite sides of the Ultra media shown in Jim's pictures, it might just cleanly separate into two layers like the XG media did. Its very hard to tell if there are two layers or not without actually digging at it with your fingers or tweezers.

And besides, I don't get all excited about "two layer media!" hype anyway. If one of the layers tends to clog faster than the other, then you're wasting capacity. I think its quite possible to design a single-layer media that works as well or better than a two-layer media.

Yeah, the ply thing doesn't matter to me, just wondering whats different about the 2 medias.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Jim, thanks for your response to my bypass valve location question. Indeed, thanks for all your participation here. In my book, you rank right up there with the late great Gary Allen.
grin2.gif
(no relation I hope)

I guess I place too much emphasis on the fact that Ford continues to specify a thread-end BPV for most of their filters. It may indeed be a non-issue for 99% of users, but I suppose if I need a reason to believe Motorcraft filters are superior because of it, then I'll just go with that until they stop making them that way.
05.gif

I barely have a foot on the ballfield compared to Gary Allan (note difference in last name spelling). Plus, mgm13 pointed out that I don't have a halo after all ( : < ). But thanks! I've just received some training in this area and I'm brimming over with excitement from the new knowledge. I'm in the Second Looie stage of my understanding... if there are any old army guys like me out there that get the reference.

As to the bypass valve location... whatever floats yer boat (; < ). You can certainly do a lot worse than the MC filters. If they only made on with a more efficient media?

Jim, It looks like Ford makes their filters to meet their OCI intervals, no extended OCI's. For the 5,000 mile old OCI to the newer 7,500 mile OCI I guess the appropriate Mototrcraft oil filter works for Ford. For my truck that has an OCI of 5,000 miles the FL820S works great. For my wife's Exploder with the same 4.6 V-8 I use either Mobil 1 or Pure One oil filters. Due to her driving conditions I do 8,500 OCI's. Never had an issue with either vehicle. In fact I've been running my 1996 Zetec Contour for 7,500 to 8,500 OCI's with the Mobil 1 oil filters I got at close out prices 7 years ago and some oil and filter deals with Advance Auto.

Whimsey

[/quote]
From an earlier reply:

"I'm going back to them after using the purolator classic for a while and having installation and removal issues. Miss that Sure grip and sturdy shell".

The other reason is its something I want to try after reading how the efficiency gets better as the filter ages. Its rated for 15k, lets see. Labor is free. [/quote]

I saw where you were having issues with the smooth cans. I still don't see how you will be able to tell the difference in filtration between the OCI's. If the efficiency is as advertized, the difference should not be measurable even in a UOA. Hey, have fun.

I was looking at these and the Tough Guards yesterday a Wally World.

Their Labeling is "Made in U.S.A".
I'm pretty sure that means the filters, not just the boxes they come in.

They seem very robust and inexpensive. I might pick up a few for the next couple of OCI's and see how they do.

I've been contemplating an Ultra but, man, the Napa Platinums are sooooooo well made and only a buck or two more.

Purolator Synthetics are nice, too*, and are basically the same price as the Ultras.

(*Except for the PSL 15436s, which are probably the most poorly put-together Ecotec filters I've yet seen. I'd take an XG9018 over the Puro Synthetic.)

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
One question: WHERE was it made? One reason I buy Purolators is because they are US-made!

Made in USA! Greenville, Ohio

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
I wonder how well the Fram Ultra flows at high RPM's (7000 RPM's) with the holes on the center tube so small unlike the Purolator center tube holes on their filters ?

I would not worry about efficiency ratings as there are engines getting 3-400K miles on basic oil filters long before high end oil filters came out such as (Amsoil, Mobil 1, PureOne, Fram Ultra, Royal Purple, Bosch,....etc). I would not worry about the BPV on the Fram Ultra.

I do agree PureOnes are a great deal and can be bought for as little as $3 each with the Purolator rebate combined with the AAP 40% discount code.
The FRAM Ultra flows nearly as good as our racing filters due to the synthetic media. I use them regularly on a 7500 rpm 434ci windsor drag car and my CTS-V that see's regular track and autocross use. Started doing that after our chief engineer took me to school about using racing filters on street driven cars. Most race filters are 50-60% efficiency and intended to be changed every race weekend.

great looking filter. Just pulled one off the Subaru, and now thinking I changed it out too early.

If the flow is as good as you are claiming MKing-then I'm in---I've been waiting for some documentation on flow rate, as everyone else is concerned most with filtering ability.

Thanks Jim for doing the deed on what looks like your living room rug

Originally Posted By: JZiggy
How does the efficiency rating compare to the Bosch Distance Plus filters? I'm having trouble finding that information anywhere...

All the info I have is that the D+ has the same efficiency as the Ultra... 99% @ 20 um and the P-1 and the M-1. The Amsoil is a little better... 99% @ 15um IIRC. We're talking in this size equivalent. It's likely the same in others but I don't know for sure.

Wrong. 98.7% at 20 microns.

Originally Posted By: Motorking
the bypass valves are routinely tested to one million cycles, far more than you would see in a 30k oci.

Point of fact is there have been millions of engines run hundreds of thousands of miles on OCOD (or worse) filters and many times (myself included) we overanalyze the situation far more than is needed. If I am truly "intellectually honest" then (more or less) most any filter used today will carry the engine far past the usable lifecycle of the vehicle or past the time some people keep them.

I'll be an alarmist here:

That metal screen supporting the media is on the intake side. Anytime I've dealt with such stamped metal mesh, there are filings and loose metal bits left behind. Could these be flushed into the center tube and into the engine?

This is just a theory/worry on my part.

I have a question maybe someone can answer. I read in a couple earlier posts that the relief valve on a couple of different filters is set at 16psi or 12psi for the Ultra. How does a filter like that work when the oil pressure runs at a constant 30-40 psi hot or cold? Or are the various filters designed with different pressures for by-pass depending on the engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back