Sorento oil filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We just got a low mileage used KIA Sorento and I'm getting things lined up for the first oil change. Hmmm, it has one of those cartridge oil filters. They want $14 at the local auto parts store. I change the oil frequently and I'm not used to paying that much for an oil filter (and one that has less parts than a "spin-on" to boot).

Much better prices on-line: "Pronto" the cheapest but I never heard of them, "Mann" just a few cents more and I have heard of them, "Pentius" mid-priced but I haven't heard of them either, "Wix" a known brand but higher priced, and "Fram" the highest priced of the lot (that, I have trouble understanding).

Anybody have any experience or comments on these brands?

what year and model is it .. which engine?

edit: that must be the 3.5L v6? and a 2011 or 2012?

looks like if you bought 3 you could get either 30% or 10$ off at advance auto parts..

ordering from rockauto.com is another option but 6$ shipping usually kills the deal.

Last edited:
I own a 2012 with the 3.5 liter engine and owned a 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe with the same engine.

Check with the local dealer for OEM filters.

I find that KIA/Hyundai filters are of excellent quality.

I use synthetic 5W20 oil year around.

i have the 3.5 in a santa fe also most of them including mine seem to be very noisy on start up...How is yours..
I also see my oil light staying on longer than 2 seconds after sitting for 20 minutes and then restarting.. The good thing is it is leased and going back.
I happen to like hyundai cars and suv's

dealer is you best bet. $11 is what we sell them for.
oh, hyundai is no longer using this motor. it has been replaced for 2013 with a new 3.3l motor. i don't know if kia is following suit, but that would make the motor's production run very short, 2010-2012. lets see what continued price and availability of parts will be.
as for quality of the filters, they perform very well, but with the cartridge filters, they will crumble after about 8k in service. wouldn't go more than 5k onb a filter.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
i have the 3.5 in a santa fe also most of them including mine seem to be very noisy on start up...How is yours..
I also see my oil light staying on longer than 2 seconds after sitting for 20 minutes and then restarting.. The good thing is it is leased and going back.
I happen to like hyundai cars and suv's

there are numerous TSB stating that some non-OEM filters don't always prevent oil drainback.

It's a 2011 3.5L V6. Short production run for the motor? ugh. It's a little noisy on start-up (light mechanical clicks) but clears after a few seconds. Funny you mention that, I just noticed it this evening. I'll check with the dealer then, too.

It's my wife's vehicle. She drives a fair bit and I end up changing the oil frequently. I got spoiled by $3 to $4 Motorcraft oil filters for her old van, and had a bit of sticker shock at the price for these Sorento oil filters.

When you turn it in, go pick up the 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe AWD with the 2.0 Turbo, cheap screw on filter, solid drivetrain. 274 hp

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rick in PA
It's a 2011 3.5L V6. Short production run for the motor? ugh. It's a little noisy on start-up (light mechanical clicks) but clears after a few seconds. Funny you mention that, I just noticed it this evening. I'll check with the dealer then, too.

It's my wife's vehicle. She drives a fair bit and I end up changing the oil frequently. I got spoiled by $3 to $4 Motorcraft oil filters for her old van, and had a bit of sticker shock at the price for these Sorento oil filters.

The two hydraulic filters for my Bobcat are $110 from Bobcat. So $10 is no big deal.

My wifes 2011 Santa Fe V6 uses 5W20 PP with Kia/Hyundai oil filters and is very quiet on start up...

I think some of you that dumped your original FF early is what may have caused your noise issues. These engines like the FF in for at least 3K.

With both the 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe with the 3.5 liter engine I had and the 2012 KIA Sorento noticed/notice no engine start up noise.

OEM Filters and synthetic 5W20 oil is what I use.

The 3.5 liter engine is still in available for the 2013 Sorento. A real + is that this engine is not DI.

Everything I read is that using OEM filters is a real +. Talk with the parts department by phone @ both the KIA and Hyundai dealer for best price.

The Engine takes 5.5 US quarts of oil when changing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back