Fiat 500 Abarth requires 5W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
That 1.4T engine is a Fiat engine and it has been around for about 6 years in different Fiat/Alfa cars. The Fiat Punto has a 1.4 turbo with only 120hp.

From the Selenia website

Selenia Abarth 10W-50 is a fully synthetic "preparazione" lubricant that warrants the utmost performance for engines with high specific power. Selenia Abarth 10W-50 is the lubricant formulated for all Abarth cars fitted with the Tuning Kit that increases the engine performance. The Abarth relationship is a testimony to the supremacy of Selenia products.

The only approval on the can is

APPROVAL ABARTH N°0101

wish I could get hold of the selenia 10w/50.
I need agip 10w/50(no longer made) for my alfa. They sell a selenia here but only 10w/40!
I would pay 18 USD for that - very nice oil. Cheaper than the TWS Castrol I paid for.

Originally Posted By: supercity
That 1.4T engine is a Fiat engine and it has been around for about 6 years in different Fiat/Alfa cars. The Fiat Punto has a 1.4 turbo with only 120hp.

From the Selenia website

Selenia Abarth 10W-50 is a fully synthetic "preparazione" lubricant that warrants the utmost performance for engines with high specific power. Selenia Abarth 10W-50 is the lubricant formulated for all Abarth cars fitted with the Tuning Kit that increases the engine performance. The Abarth relationship is a testimony to the supremacy of Selenia products.

The only approval on the can is

APPROVAL ABARTH N°0101

Originally Posted By: Finklejag
I been entertaining the thought of trading in my GTI for an Abarth. I been checking out the different 500 forums. It looks like the regular NA 1.4L requires 5W-30. I'm surprised Fiat/Chrysler didn't require 5W-20 in this small engine.

Now slap a turbocharger on this little 1.4L, and now Fiat requires a 5W-40 to help with the heat they say. The oil should meet the Chrysler spec MS-10896. It looks to be a spec for only the Abarth's 1.4T? Chrysler does have a new oil spec for their SRT cars, it's MS-12633. Seeing that Pennzoil Ultra 0W-40 will be the new FF and dealer oil for these cars. I wonder if the Ultra 0W-40 will also be the dealer oil for the Abarth? I have read that this oil will be available at Fiat dealers also.

It is European car, right???
So 5W20 in Europe will cause big laugh for car enthusisats.
[censored], I do not know did I ever see 0W20 or 5W20 on gas station.
5W40 is golden rule in Europe, drivers are still in process on getting adjusted on the fact that they have to use 5W30 oils.
When it comes to fuel consumption, that is not issue, European engines are just designed much better then others:)

It sounds like 0w40 will be recommend for all SRT cars.
I wonder if the previous versions will be back spe'd. Watch some of the thin crowd go off their nuts if this happens.
grin.gif

http://www.wafb.com/story/18708137/new-pennzoil-ultra-0w-40-designed-for-all-srt-vehicles

http://www.drivesrt.com/

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Originally Posted By: CBR.worm
This engine will also be an option in the new Dart. It will be interesting to see what owners of the new Neon think of expensive oil changes.

My dad has an Abarth 500, one of the first things I noticed under the hood was the 5-40 sticker.

Also, I thought the specs of the US Abarth were the same as the Euro Essess.

I think you'd find most SRT-4 Neon owners are not afraid of maintaining their cars properly. Even the lowly R/T models seem to have their fair share of folks who take very good care of them, I see lots of them for sale that seem well cared for.

Careful, my lowly R/T Neon was a great little car, and routinely embarrassed a lot of much more expensive cars!

(J/K)

Yup, my gf just bought an Abarth last Wednesday.
She traded in her 500 Sport for it, and she's been very very happy with the unexpected upgrade (didn't order the car, it just happened to arrive at the dealer the day before her birthday in exactly the configuration she would have chosen, and it wasn't already spoken for).

Not really worried about oil changes, as there are a lot of good 0W-40 and 5W-40 oils on the market.

Car is a hoot to drive. About 500 lbs lighter than the GTI, and higher stock boost pressure, even though the numbers for hp and torque are lower. By the numbers, the two cars are very similar, with the Abarth being .1 seconds behind in the 0-60 and 1/4 mile, but faster in the slalom run by 1.2 mph, due to it skinnier width. Higher fuel economy numbers, too.

BC.

I don't think that it's weird to spec an x-40 for a hot turbocharged engine.
The Mfr. HAS to recommend an oil for the worst case scenarios.

They have to assume these things will be thrashed!

I suspect any oil with HTHS around 3.5 is fine. That's probably why they spec a 5w40.

In that case, there are some 5w30s and 0w30s that would work well (GC, RLI, 300V, Redline, etc)

Yep can't imagine putting a 5w20 oil in my alfa. Would be like water!
Min factory specs states a 10w50!
I use 10w60. Nice and smooth. many peope I know in Europe use this.
Used a 30 once to try to clean up some tappets. Sounded like a sewing machine! Lol

Originally Posted By: edyvw
I been entertaining the thought of trading in my GTI for an Abarth. I been checking out the different 500 forums. It looks like the regular NA 1.4L requires 5W-30. I'm surprised Fiat/Chrysler didn't require 5W-20 in this small engine.

Now slap a turbocharger on this little 1.4L, and now Fiat requires a 5W-40 to help with the heat they say. The oil should meet the Chrysler spec MS-10896. It looks to be a spec for only the Abarth's 1.4T? Chrysler does have a new oil spec for their SRT cars, it's MS-12633. Seeing that Pennzoil Ultra 0W-40 will be the new FF and dealer oil for these cars. I wonder if the Ultra 0W-40 will also be the dealer oil for the Abarth? I have read that this oil will be available at Fiat dealers also.

It is European car, right???
So 5W20 in Europe will cause big laugh for car enthusisats.
[censored], I do not know did I ever see 0W20 or 5W20 on gas station.
5W40 is golden rule in Europe, drivers are still in process on getting adjusted on the fact that they have to use 5W30 oils.
When it comes to fuel consumption, that is not issue, European engines are just designed much better then others:)

Little late, but this is what the dealer put in my Abarth on it's first oil change (first one is free). Their system apparently listed this oil as the ONLY one they could use.

photobucket-3780-1342058986418.jpg

The bottle above shows the 5w-40 euro formula that has been available for some time. The press release in the link posted earlier in this thread, states that PZ has developed a new 0w-40 oil for the requirements of SRT8 engines. Looks like we have a new viscosity available in the US for PZ Euro Formula. FWIW--Oldtommy

ok, people are missing some facts about these cars..
1) any Fiat 500 (Abarth included) Sold in the US is a bigger car than it's Euro counterpart. if i'm not mistaken it's another implementation of the CUSW(Compact-U.S. Wide)platform. (enlarged to help us Americans fit.
Also the engines are US sourced. it's a FIAT design, but reworked for the US market to use "Locally available" oil weights. and built in MI(engines only).
that being said, not surprising that they are recommending PU for their higher performance engines. as stated on the pictured label, it's the FF for Ferrari's(another Fiat brand)

and the guy that asked about getting Alfa badges for a dart, you're an idiot. this isn't GM, they aren't importing the car and slaping a different set of badges. the dart is an entirely new design, based on the platform of the Alfa Romeo Giulietta. (and a platform is simply a set of measurements.)it's a whole new design, built in the US. the one (dart) on my local dealers lot, has the 1.4 turbo, and as stated on the window sticker the only non-us component is the 6-speed manual(from Italy)

Originally Posted By: earlyre
ok, people are missing some facts about these cars..
1) any Fiat 500 (Abarth included) Sold in the US is a bigger car than it's Euro counterpart. if i'm not mistaken it's another implementation of the CUSW(Compact-U.S. Wide)platform. (enlarged to help us Americans fit.

Well you are mistaken... The US Spec Fiat 500 is not "enlarged" at all. The Wheelbase and front/rear track are within a few millimeters of the Euro 500. There were MANY changes made for the USA market, wider seats yes, but a "bigger car" it is not.

This guy sums up all the changes made for the USA Car:

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2011/02/video-fiat-engineer-explains.html

Last edited:
i swear i had read that it was wider than the euro spec, but i am glad to be corrected. I do stand by the rest of my post though.

The same 1.4 turbo in the Dart had 5w-40 on oil fill cap. Shhh can't say but that was over a month ago. Fun to drive!!!
I noticed Walmart had 5w-40 synthetics,don't shot me I forgot brands.

I had started a thread asking about the availability of 5w-40 back in feb, since i had decided i wanted the dart w/ the 1.4turbo, and the us abarth specs(same engine) called for 5w40, and the ONLY oil that weight i had seen @ my usual haunts was Rotella T6...
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...476#Post2546476

starting to see a few more, but still not enough choices for my tastes. as i stated in that thread, i need more than 1 brand. I love pepsi, but if all of the sudden that was all that was available, after a while i'd probably kill for a coke ...

also keep in mind good ol' ford, which back spec'd nearly everything to 5w20 a few years back, is calling for 5w30 in the eco-boost* engines(Gasoline Direct Injection Twin Turbo)

* on the local ford dealer's commercials, whenever they say "ECO-Boost" i swear it sounds like they are saying "EGO-Boost"

Originally Posted By: earlyre
I had started a thread asking about the availability of 5w-40 back in feb, since i had decided i wanted the dart w/ the 1.4turbo, and the us abarth specs(same engine) called for 5w40, and the ONLY oil that weight i had seen @ my usual haunts was Rotella T6...
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...476#Post2546476

starting to see a few more, but still not enough choices for my tastes. as i stated in that thread, i need more than 1 brand. I love pepsi, but if all of the sudden that was all that was available, after a while i'd probably kill for a coke ...

Call your local oil distributors. I can get Havoline 5W-40 for $5.43 a quart. They're plenty of 5W-40's on the market.

002-1.jpg

Havoline 5W-40
Kendall 5W-40
Rotella T6 5W-40
Mobil 1 TDT 5W-40
Valvoline Synpower 5W-40
Castrol Edge 5W-40
Pennzoil Ultra 5W-40
Red Line 5W-40
Royal Purple 5W-40
Amsoil 5W-40

You can go down to your local Napa and buy Lubro Moly 5W-40 and Eneos 5W-40 also. Then there is Mobil 1 0W-40. It's probably one of the best 40 weight oils you can buy at any retail store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back