PSL14610 cut open - New and Used

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought two Purolator PSL14610's. The only store that had them was 15 miles away or so, but I wanted to try them out so I made the drive and picked them up. I did not inspect them at the store (my mistake).

The first one I opened had blue overspray on the base plate like the old days with the P1's so I installed the second filter which looked good on the base plate. I figured I would return it next time I went to get the next set if I liked the way they performed.

I recently changed the oil on our 05 Odyssey which had been running this filter on a big trip to Florida. Tonight I got around to opening it up and was not happy with what I saw. Since I had the second filter still in the box (but with paint splatter on the base plate), I figured I would crack it open to compare since I will most likely not be purchasing any more of these.

The filter looks like it was split at the seam. The glue was also very sloppy on the end caps. The new filter looked better in comparison but like I said, had that rough textured paint on the base plate. I am not sure if the filter media would was split when it was built, or if it split during use. Either way I was not happy with the split, the sloppy job with the glue and the paint on the base plate of filter number 2. Two big thumbs down on this filter.

The filter on the Odyssey is currently a Fram Xtended Guard with a Napa Platinum on deck for either the Odyssey or my Titan.
FallCreek-20120714-00073.jpg

FallCreek-20120714-00077.jpg

FallCreek-20120714-00080.jpg

FallCreek-20120714-00076.jpg

FallCreek-20120714-00081.jpg

I had a similar situation happen on a Motorcraft FL-820s (made by Purolator for Ford). The seam was held open by the glue, but it was glued solid for the full length of the seam. Thanks for the pictures!

Thanks for posting your findings - I think. Thanks to hoarding, I have about 20 PL14610's in my stash awaiting the CRV.

Was there any visual difference in the oil from a normal OCI? I'm guessing you don't drive to Florida during every interval, so it might be hard to compare.

I wish the Purolator Synthetic was more widely available. A filter that competes with M1, K&N, and D+ but with that awesome textured grip... and it's cheaper than the others as well!

Advance Auto Parts advertises them but doesn't seem to carry them

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
I wish the Purolator Synthetic was more widely available. A filter that competes with M1, K&N, and D+ but with that awesome textured grip... and it's cheaper than the others as well!

Advance Auto Parts advertises them but doesn't seem to carry them

Advance auto was where I got it frombut not all of them local to me had them which is why I had to drive a bit to get them. That said, I will not be buying any more of them...

First - try the macro setting on your camera. Most cameras can't focus on items up close unless you put the camera in macro mode. It's usually a button or setting marked with a little picture of a flower.

It's hard to tell, is the seam actually open or is that yellow stuff glue in the seam?

Last edited:
Seems analogous to the first year of a vehicle major redesign, or total new car intro. It's often said to wait a while so the bugs can be worked out. Based on this anecdotal experience, looks like they may need to look at the design of seam pleat.

As for the overspray, though I've never had an issue with P1 or Puro AAP Total Grip, as noted, the most issues was with the early P1, then generally corrected. But as acknowledged, inspecting the any filter prior to purchase eliminates that issue.

Glue on the endcaps looks ok to me.

Thanks for the pics.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
First - try the macro setting on your camera. Most cameras can't focus on items up close unless you put the camera in macro mode. It's usually a button or setting marked with a little picture of a flower.

It's hard to tell, is the seam actually open or is that yellow stuff glue in the seam?

The camera was my phone.

As to the split, I can't say for sure if that is glue and the tried a repair on it or what. All I know is it is not how it should be and I will not be installing anymore psl's for a while. Perhaps this is why distribution of them has been so limited.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BobThe

The camera was my phone.

As to the split, I can't say for sure if that is glue and the tried a repair on it or what. All I know is it is not how it should be and I will not be installing anymore psl's for a while. Perhaps this is why distribution of them has been so limited.

If you don't know what it is, how do you know it's not how it should be?

Perhaps some production lines glue the seam and some use a crimp?

Just guessing, but at this point I'm not sure I see anything that's "not how it should be."

The camera was my phone.

If you don't know what it is, how do you know it's not how it should be?

Perhaps some production lines glue the seam and some use a crimp?

Just guessing, but at this point I'm not sure I see anything that's "not how it should be."

Maybe you didn't see the media of the new filter I opened? That is how it should be I am guessing (crimped and clean and not torn and pushed outward). Honestly I have no idea how the used filter ended up the way it is, nor do I care any longer really.

Either way, if you think it is good to use you may feel free. I certainly will not. I suppose it could have been faulty initially and all of that is glue the seeped down from the top in to the torn or split seam before it set. I wanted to post it just in case others wanted to see the irregularities in their premium synthetic product back to back. One can had over spray on the baseplate, the other had faulty or inconsistent media (as judged by looking at the media from the filter with the over spray). Heck, 99% of each filter looked great. It is the 1% I have an issue with.

I bought two Purolator PSL14610's.

What was the efficiency rating on the box of these filters? I'm wondering if it's at 40 microns like the L14610 and PL14610?

I would suggest sending the pictures (and the filter if you still have it) to Purolator. I know one of the engineers there and they would be very interested to know of your experience.

I emailed them and included this link. They asked me to send them in, but they were already in the garbage and our pick up is Monday. They said they would let their qc folks know.

I ordered a PSL15436 from my Advance and noticed some of the same issues. The glue was messily applied to both end caps as if by a little kid using a hot glue gun. I poked at the seam and it was not glued together very well. The pleats were uneven and not even the same depth all around. Some of the pleats touched the edge of the endcap, some of them had quite a gap. It was the single worst put together Ecotec filter I have ever seen, even compared to Promotive, Driveworks, Microguard, and the other cheapies.

The Wix/NAPA Platinum I got instead was so much better constructed it wasn't even funny. Neither was the $19.49 price tag but I wanted to try a synthetic filter just once. I think I'll buy a 12-pack of NAPA Golds and that will do me for the remaining life of the car.

I emailed them and included this link. They asked me to send them in, but they were already in the garbage and our pick up is Monday. They said they would let their qc folks know.

Fail! They don't belong in the garbage, recycle them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back