[pics] Warning to anyone with a coolant filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just thought I would throw out a warning to anyone who might have used dorman #47147 5/8 x 3/8 x 5/8 heater hose tee for their coolant filter install.

Mine failed today going down the road, and not even a crack, just straight up broke off. odd part is I made sure during the install none of the fittings were under stress.

Anyone know of a metal replacement? when I did the install 8 months ago plastic was the only thing I could find. If not I will have to make a bulkier one with fittings and a brass tee.

29nzfyh.jpg

http://i47.tinypic.com/29nzfyh.jpg

2hp5bg4.jpg

http://i50.tinypic.com/2hp5bg4.jpg

Seeing as how the plastic has taken a different shape, I would say it is not up to the task of coolant duty. Probably would get soft and maybe with vibration finally weakened it. thats my guess anyway.

so in a parking lot I used a barbed splice reconnecting the heater hose and a plug in the coolant filter hose. refilled with straight distilled water and made my way back home.

oh well I have been meaning to ditch the any/all make green that i put in with the filter install with zerex g-05

Last edited:
You ought to contact Dorman and show them these pictures. Their engineers might want to take the piece back and examine it.

You used screw type clamps I take it ?

I think that's one of the reasons that manufacturers use spring type.

I've seen that exact failure on the 2" (approx) diameter coolant "manifold" that runs across the back of the "J-Car" engines. The plastic "creeps" under an applied load, reduces cross section, than fails catastrophically.

(In my J Car case, I'd just recently chopped the tip off a finger, and it was bandaged back on...pulled away from the kerb, and saw the people on the sidewalk gawp in horror...dumped a full system in a second or two...getting finger bathed in hot coolant made the end bit shrivel and not stay attached0.

Originally Posted By: Johnny248
I would build something out of brass. It would never give you a problem. Head over to the hardware store and build away.

just got done making a McMaster Carr order :p

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
You ought to contact Dorman and show them these pictures. Their engineers might want to take the piece back and examine it.

Good idea, I have never had any problems with dorman stuff in the past.

Just got done sending them a email with the two pics.

Lets see if they care

Originally Posted By: DemoFly
Plastic and coolant lines don't mix.

I have Preston T-flush installed in my 1994 LS400 since '97-'98 and no problem after 14-15 years.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Go with brass -
41j4EOfxc4L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

What are the hose sizes?

5/8 on the ends with the tee part being 3/8

if you find a brass one let me know!!

I need to do this! With Toyota red you can see clearly through the fluid (if its fresh), and there's always a grey particulate in the bottom of the expansion tank. Is there a vendor? or just google it?

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Are coolant filters even necessary ????

Guess we will see.. Im gonna put on a new filter when I put in new fittings and refill with coolant.

So I will cut open the old one and post it in the oil filter section.

Its only been on for 8 months so I'm not expecting much if anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back