Oil suggestions for CX-5

Status
Not open for further replies.
So if you didn't already know, I purchased a 2013 Mazda CX-5 and will be taking delivery tonight. I will change out the FF at 2,000-3,000 miles, and then following the manual for 7,500mile after that. The engine is the new 2.0L Skyactiv. Direct Injected, with a 13:1 compression ratio. It calls for 0W-20. I'm thinking of going with Eneos that is (last I checked) carried at my local NAPA. I haven't checked walmart in a while to see what they carry in 0W-20, as far as I know it's still only Mobil 1. My commute is 80% highway, 30 miles each way, with some stop and go traffic in the afternoon. Anyone have any suggestions other than what I've mentioned?

I'd bet your Wal-Mart also carries QS in 0w-20 which is what I'd run if you have to run the 0w-20.

Congrads on the new(er) ride.

Bill

The manual actually recommends Castrol. I think WM carries a 0W-20 in Castrol Edge. QS is a good option too. I'll have to stop by there in the next month to check.

Last edited:
Some of our local china marts carry PP 0-20 as well as M1 0w-20 in 5qt jugs, so these may be your other options.

But I'm sure Eneos will work fine, too.

Many Walmarts are now stocking Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20. I've used it before, and just stocked up on six more jugs due to pricing error on Walmart.com thanks to a tip here. It's fine oil.

I haven't seen Castrol 0W-20 at Walmart, but I have seen it at Advance, but by the quart only. When 0W-20 is so inexpensive by the jug, why buy quarts unless you really have to?

Get whatever 0w-20 is on sale or cheapest, change it at reasonable intervals, and sleep well at night.

FWIW, our Fit was spotless on the inside using mainly M1 0w-20.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Get whatever 0w-20 is on sale or cheapest, change it at reasonable intervals, and sleep well at night.

FWIW, our Fit was spotless on the inside using mainly M1 0w-20.

+1

Does the eneos carry all required specs? If not I'd avoid.

M1 0w-20 or equivalent will be perfect.

Depends on what I can find. It's been a while since I've checked out the oil at our walmart so I'll have to do that to see what my options are.

Walmart also carries Synpower 0w20 but not in the 5 qt. jugs.
I'd use either QSUD, PP or M1 (instead of Eneos) based mainly on price.
Do you work in Albany, Nick?

Check a Toyota dealership and see if you can get a good deal on their 0W-20. Or, what kind of case price can you get on 0W-20 from the Mazda dealer?

Originally Posted By: pbm
Walmart also carries Synpower 0w20 but not in the 5 qt. jugs.
I'd use either QSUD, PP or M1 (instead of Eneos) based mainly on price.
Do you work in Albany, Nick?

Yup. I work in the new Time Warner Cable Inbound Call Center on New Karner Rd, off of Central Ave in Colonie.

your telling me the manual actually says "we perfer castrol".guess i have never seen a auto mfg specifically state something like that. interesting-is Mazda in bed with them?

Originally Posted By: jek
your telling me the manual actually says "we perfer castrol".guess i have never seen a auto mfg specifically state something like that. interesting-is Mazda in bed with them?

Seriously? A lot of GM cars (especially the corvette) have a "Mobil 1" oil filler cap. Other brands do the same thing.

Mazda has a bulk oil program that uses Castrol oil. Their bottled oil, at least the 0w20 is Idmetsu (sp?) high moly blend, but the barrels for bulk is Castrol Edge 0w20.

Originally Posted By: Nick R

Seriously? A lot of GM cars (especially the corvette) have a "Mobil 1" oil filler cap. Other brands do the same thing.

Yup. A lot of car mfgs have business partnerships with oil suppliers and will recommend one specific brand as a result.

My hyundai recommends Quaker State in t he manual, but many of the dealerships use Mobil brand or Pennzoil (which is nearly identical to QS). So, whichever oil you can get that is the proper weight and meets the requirements stipulated in the manual.

Direct Injected engines also love top-tier fuel, so make sure you use name-brand gas like Mobil, Chevron, Shell and BP - whichever has a detergent. However, you can use cheap gasoline, like from Racetrack, Valero, Citgo, Hess, etc. but periodically (once a month) use Chevron Techron concentrate in one tank.

Originally Posted By: NateDN10
My brother's focus recommends BP gas - right on the filler cover.

Unfortunately none around here. We have pretty awful selection for gas.

Cumberland Farms/Gulf or the Mobil/Stewarts near my house are my usual stations. Other than that, it's Hess, a much more expensive sunoco stations, and that's about it. I wish we had BP here. Or Chevron. The closes one of those is about 30 mile north of my house. I drive 30 miles south from my house to get to work.

We're going with TGMO 0w20 in my son's new Mazda 3. Actually going to do the first OCI this weekend at 2000km, with a M1 filter.

I might have gone with the Mazda (more Moly) for the first OCI or two but they told me their stock was Petro-Canada not Idemitsu SM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back