WIX Filter Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mechanicx
Well if being skeptical here makes me a conspiracy theorist, then you must be a "tin-foil" hat wearer believing every filter failure story that comes down the pike
lol.gif

Nope ... just a guy that looks at the evidence with no bias. Just looking for the facts based on available evidence. I had a lot more evidence showing that it's real compared to your non-existent evidence that it's a hoax. You're the one going on pure conjecture and conspiracy theory mania.

What's a guy with a hacked up 1966 BMW and who makes Iron Man helmets from scratch have to gain by faking a WIX filter failure?
crazy.gif

I like how in the FRAM video the guy says cardboard end caps are just fine and actually stick's together better, then later in the video they show there top tier filter and it has metal end cap's lmao ahahahah, also I have never saw a fram like the one in the other video ever lol.

Yeah the evidence is irrefutable and you have no bias but I guess I do
smirk.gif

What does he have to gain by posting the WIX vs Fram video regardless? For that matter, what does he have to gain by posting "Ironman" motorcycle helmets he epoxies together, or the other 60 videos?

What I want to know is why does he have an allegedly intact WIX filter with a broken element and a blown motor and apparently isn't irate and making a legitimate claim against WIX. No instead he's making a Fram vs. WIX video. The whole thing smells.

Originally Posted By: boosted
I like how in the FRAM video the guy says cardboard end caps are just fine and actually stick's together better, then later in the video they show there top tier filter and it has metal end cap's lmao ahahahah, also I have never saw a fram like the one in the other video ever lol.

You must be talking about the FRAM video sayjac linked to. The only reason the FRAM Xtended Guard (now Ultra Guard) has metal end caps is because that filter uses multi-layer full synthetic media with a wire backing. I think the only good way to construct that configuration was with metal end caps. Might be hard to glue all those layers and wire backing to fiber end caps.

Xtended Guard / Ultra Guard is a nice filter ... only FRAM I'd use, wouldn't use any of their other filters though.

Yeah the evidence is irrefutable and you have no bias but I guess I do
smirk.gif

I've gone the direction I have based on what I see with my own eyes. If there was evidence that there was something fishy going on, I'd say so myself. The dude's motor somehow caused high pump output pressure and it destroyed the filter element. It's not the first or last time something like that will happen. That's why there are TSBs all over the place in the filter world about what causes such failures. It's not that uncommon.

What does he have to gain by posting the WIX vs Fram video regardless? For that matter, what does he have to gain by posting "Ironman" motorcycle helmets he epoxies together, or the other 60 videos?

What I want to know is why does he have an allegedly intact WIX filter with a broken element and a blown motor and apparently isn't irate and making a legitimate claim against WIX. No instead he's making a Fram vs. WIX video. The whole thing smells.

Maybe FRAM payed him to post up the hoax videos so he can get money to fix his car and buy more supplies for Ironman helmet manufacturing endeavors.
thumbsup2.gif
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: boosted
I like how in the FRAM video the guy says cardboard end caps are just fine and actually stick's together better, then later in the video they show there top tier filter and it has metal end cap's lmao ahahahah...

I saw that too & thought the same thing.

I'm with Z06 on this one. Something gave on his engine and it jackhammered the filter. I see no evidence on the filter tampering. I think he (the car owner) knows that something catastophic happened and it was not thie WIX filters fault, thats why he opened it up.. I'm sure he will still contact Wix about it though.

Regardless of what happened, and I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt, it certainly wasn't the Wix's fault. Whatever happened to that filter would have done the same or worse to any other oil filter out there.

Did anybody else catch in the second video where he says he paid 4X the amount for the WIX than the Fram?

Were is this guy overpaying for his filters at?

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
Did anybody else catch in the second video where he says he paid 4X the amount for the WIX than the Fram?

I think he mentions the store he bought it from ... sounded like "Kragen" (which is part of O'Reilly Auto Parts).

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

I think he mentions the store he bought it from ... sounded like "Kragen" (which is part of O'Reilly Auto Parts).

4X the cost of a Fram is suspect no matter where he may have bought it from.

Well, it's seems to boil down to excessively high oil pressure most likely caused by a malfunctioning pressure regulator or a scam/hoax. If it's the latter, the youtube maker sure went to a lot of effort just to show why he would rather use an orange can, Chinese made no less, than a Wix. That would be a weird one.

I'm sticking with the high pressure theory. But I got the impression based on video1 that he stopped the engine quickly after he started it and started "puking oil", so it didn't really damage the engine. Just some clean up.

Quite certain though this thread wasn't intended to show that Fram is better than Wix, or that Wix makes a bad filter, just what can happen under high oil pressure. Perhaps the title threw some off.

Originally Posted By: Hootbro

Yes I did notice that. It was actually in his 1st video (2nd one posted in this thread) where the the filter ostensibly hadn't yet been cut open. The fact that he says he paid 4x as much for the WIX ($14?) when Fram are always priced pretty high and making it a WIX vs Fram comparison was one of the reason I suspect it is a hoax.

While we might all agree that if the filter actually failed as presented it wasn't the filter's fault, for him to not just blame the WIX filter but make it a WIX vs Fram video adds doubt that the filter ever failed in the first place.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Well, it's seems to boil down to excessively high oil pressure most likely caused by a malfunctioning pressure regulator or a scam/hoax. If it's the latter, the youtube maker sure went to a lot of effort just to show why he would rather use an orange can, Chinese made no less, than a Wix. That would be a weird one.

I'm sticking with the high pressure theory. But I got the impression based on video1 that he stopped the engine quickly after he started it and started "puking oil", so it didn't really damage the engine. Just some clean up.

Quite certain though this thread wasn't intended to show that Fram is better than Wix, or that Wix makes a bad filter, just what can happen under high oil pressure. Perhaps the title threw some off.

I find your comments reasonable but I'm still skepticle of this guy's videos. He claims, "Inside of a defective WIX filter, most likely the cause of death to my motor." in his second videe posted 3 months after the first.

And also not to reopen the debate, but excessive oil pressure doesn't necessarily mean excessive pressure differential which is need to crush the filter element if the bypass is working. Whether the oil pressure is excessive or normal, the bypass should not normally be highly restrict to oil flow or it would always be a restriction and starve oil flow during bypass events. Usually when we see crushed internals the bypass wasn't working and oil pressure was high. I'm not going to say excess oil pressure can't crush a filter element even if the bypass is working, but I don't think we can say for sure it will either. This guy's story is just fishy.

I never interpreted his videos as a "FRAM vs WIX" thing. The guy had a major filter failure, and he's just saying he's surprised that a WIX filter (which cost way more than the FRAM) failed and he thinks he got a "defective" filter. Little does he know the failure wasn't caused by the filter, but by excessive high flow & pressure from a failed pump regulator.

People who are seeing it as a FRAM vs WIX video, and who think it's all a staged hoax are reading way too much into it all.

And also not to reopen the debate, but excessive oil pressure doesn't necessarily mean excessive pressure differential which is need to crush the filter element if the bypass is working.

There is a huge difference between "high" oil pressure that is say 60~70 PSI, and pressure that could be 200~300 PSI from a totally non-functional oil pump pressure regulator. If the pressure was indeed 200+ PSI out of the pump, then that also means the oil flow was much higher. The filter's bypass valve isn't designed to take 3X the max flow volume, and as a result there is a huge, almost instantaneous delta P created across the element, which causes the element to cave in as seen in this case.

The guy said in his video that it was also very cold the night before the failure, which would make the situation even worse if the oil pump regulator failed. Nice thick oil at 3X the normal flow isn't gonna be nice on any filter.

Hey ... maybe the bypass valve in the WIX filters is undersized, that could be part of the equation too.

Still you are saying that the filter bypass is significanlty smaller and more restrictive than the filter oil feed hole. Whether the pressure is normal or high makes no difference. All that matter is whether the bypass is smaller and flows less volume than the feed or not. Making the bypass smaller and more restrictive than the feed is improper because the bypass would be restrictive at all pressures during bypass mode.

Most oil filter bypasses appear quite large and at least as big as the filter feed.

People who are seeing it as a FRAM vs WIX video, and who think it's all a staged hoax are reading way too much into it all.

He titled the video "Fram vs Wix" places a Fram next to a WIX and say the WIX cost 4x as much and was inferior to the Fram. How could one not interpret his intention as being Fram vs WIX?

Still you are saying that the filter bypass is significanlty smaller and more restrictive than the filter oil feed hole. Whether the pressure is normal or high makes no difference. All that matter is whether the bypass is smaller and flows less volume than the feed or not. Making the bypass smaller and more restrictive than the feed is improper because the bypass would be restrictive at all pressures during bypass mode.

The pressure being high or low certainly does make a difference. You need to understand that if you double the pump's output pressure you roughly double the flow rate out of a positive displacement oil pump. The flow volume is what causes the delta P across the element, and if the filter's bypass valve is overcome by massive flow increase it's not going to handle all the flow. The filter designers don't specify a filter bypass valve to handle an oil pump pressure regulator failure.

Plus, you throw in cold thick oil with no pump pressure regulation and you've really got some insane delta P across the element, and no way a puny filter bypass valve is going to handle that flow.

Most oil filter bypasses appear quite large and at least as big as the filter feed.

From memory (and I will measure and compare next time I cut open a filter), the bypass valve area looks less than the sum of the base holes and main feed hole.

He titled the video "Fram vs Wix" places a Fram next to a WIX and say the WIX cost 4x as much and was inferior to the Fram. How could one not interpret his intention as being Fram vs WIX?

It might look that way to fanboys ... but I interpreted the videos based on the failure mode, not the brand of filters in the video.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back