2004 4Runner v6-1GRFE 5k UOA PP 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Typically I change my oil 300-600mi before the 5k mark. Otherwise I can get busy & beyond 5k. This sample was right at 5k, the factory recommended interval.

Guessing 3-4mo on this oil. Drove mostly highway, 20mi 1-way. Also a few mile shopping trips. I've driven some mountain roads, no trails, on this oil. Every once in a while I will put the pedal to the medal & try to shift before 'redline'.
Warranty was 5yr, so OEM TOY 5w30 was used until then & much after...I have a contact at dealership & can get oil changed for a tip. I've used PP or PU (Platinum/Ultra) a few times. Mostly PP. Next change will be with PU & I will get another UOA done. The 3rd will be done much later, 100k+
I've used Bosch oil filters but will change back to OEM tall filter out of convenience & piece of mind. Everything except shocks/coils (off FJ Cruiser) are OEM. Will be switching to Bilstein HD this fall/next spring.
motoroil.jpg

Last edited:
What's the next UOA for? I mean, there's just nothing here. This oil has a lot of life left. No wear to speak of. Unless you're going 7500 plus I don't understand the point.

Of course, the good news is that your car... well... engine at least is in just spectacular condition.

And Welcome!!!

Edit... also... the original OCI for all the Toyota trucks was 7500 for I don't know how long. After the 3.0 V6 sludge monster fiasco everything Toyota went to 5000 as a knee jerk reaction to the problem. One year 7500, next year 5000 on everything. So don't take the 5000 mile OCI as gospel by any means. A Toyota~ism is standardization and you'll probably notice your maintenance schedule isn't even specific to your 4runner.

Last edited:
That is an outstanding UOA. Stick with what you are doing and don't worry if you go over the 5k mark by a couple thousand if you get "busy".

Welcome and thanks for posting the UOA!

With synthetic oil like Pennzoil Platinum and Valvoline Synpower you can safely extend your OCI to 7-8k miles without much problems.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
What's the next UOA for? I mean, there's just nothing here. This oil has a lot of life left. No wear to speak of. Unless you're going 7500 plus I don't understand the point.

Of course, the good news is that your car... well... engine at least is in just spectacular condition.

And Welcome!!!

Edit... also... the original OCI for all the Toyota trucks was 7500 for I don't know how long. After the 3.0 V6 sludge monster fiasco everything Toyota went to 5000 as a knee jerk reaction to the problem. One year 7500, next year 5000 on everything. So don't take the 5000 mile OCI as gospel by any means. A Toyota~ism is standardization and you'll probably notice your maintenance schedule isn't even specific to your 4runner.

I agree, stretch it a bit further to get more use out of the oil. There's still some life left in it.

I'd pull the next sample after 6k if it was my car and see how that looks. Should be able to get to 7,500 miles without any negative side effects on the engine side.

Thanks for the replies. As stated, another UOA not really needed, but I am curious if anything else turns up. I will extend the interval to 6k, I may try 7-7500k. Just depends how I feel about it. The oil certainly becomes black around the 4k mark and that plays a psychological role.

I'm somewhat curious about running the PU, a thinner oil. I read a 'study' a few years ago on ferrarichat that concluded thinner will lube faster...that a very generic summary, it was a many year study & a lot of reading. I'm sure engine design (utility vs exotic) play a factor among other things.
Of course, for me it is probably a moot point since the wear levels seems to be already great.

Welcome to BITOG and thanks for posting this UOA (it's OK to do more UOA's if you want). I just bought a 2012 4Runner with the 1GR-FE Dual VVTi engine. Toyota recommends and certifies 0W-20 in the engine now. But it's good to see that it will work very well with 5W-30.

Toyota recommends 87 octane or higher fuel. But I found this reference that suggests considerable HP and torque gains if 91 or higher is used. Have you tried different octane levels and noticed a difference? Thanks again for posting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_GR_engine

Good to hear TOY kept a good engine. The new models have grown on me. Boxy = trails to my brain.

Since I live at 5000 MSL & drive in the mountains more & more (up to 12,000 MSL) I use 83/5 octane, whatever the lowest the station has. I also have Platinum plugs installed. They don't run as smooth, so I will swap with Iridium sometime.

I use Redline injector cleaner at the intervals recommended by Toyota. That's about it for octane.

Last edited:
^As in, Red Line's SI-1 fuel system cleaner? Good product.

I knew something in regards to octane at extreme elevation changes. So, less octane is required or is 'optimal' at a higher elevation?

Correct. Redline SI Fuel System Cleaner. I trust RL more than others by far. Although I did use some cheap ISO HEAT a couple years ago driving to Pikes Peak on new years; 14k & -15F (up to -30 known). It didn't make sense to me or my chemist friend but the group recommended it. We were told to keep engine idling once we reached the top.

Gas is suppose to be rated properly for elevation changes. So 85 here should be adjusted for 5280 altitude. It would be 83 or lowest if they did not compensate for altitude change, and keep the same octane # to make it easy for the average consumer, that is what I read at least. I alternate between the lowest & mid-grade though.

I was going to do a 4x4 trail last weekend but apparently some are still closed here, even though snow is spare...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back