android or iPhone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my girlfriends phone is shot. She wants my phone which leads me to being able to buy a new one for me
smile.gif
which do you guys prefer android or iPhone? I like that android is very friendly and lets you customize a lot of stuff and also has a lot of free apps. Things I hate is it'd not very forum friendly if I need to fix a mistake scrolling back to the mistake can be a chore and also the system isn't very smooth and polished and the battery life is just down right bad. I've been thinking of getting an iPhone which would you guys choose? I know all of androids faults I don't know the iPhones anymore I haven't had one in 3 years or more .

I have an Android cell phone and an iPod touch, which is pretty much an iPhone with out the phone. I have to say go Apple. Much smoother running, many free and better apps than Android, and just much better all around.

Originally Posted By: renegade_987
I have an Android cell phone and an iPod touch, which is pretty much an iPhone with out the phone. I have to say go Apple. Much smoother running, many free and better apps than Android, and just much better all around.

+1. I have always had an Iphone but my girlfriend had the same setup and got the Iphone first chance she had. Much easier to operate and a better value.

I have had both an iPhone and Android. I prefer a highend Android like a Galaxy or Nexus.

Android pros - Enterprise email, Google Voice integration, screen size, customization, pattern unlock, Play Store downloads into regular MP3 files that I can use on any device. When I add a new contact it asks if I want to save it to the phone, Gmail or Exchange. Everything is just simple to use and very flexible.

iPhone does have better battery life, but I think ICS is supposed to improve battery life. I do get an entire day out of my battery, with about 30% left. My iPhone would have about 45% left for the same usage.

Keep in mind that there is not just one android phone. They come in different shapes, sizes, and power levels. imo, it is not worth going Android unless you are going to get a high end one. Low end androids with slow processors and limited ram just don't run well. On the other hand, high end androids are usually one generation ahead when it comes to features.

It also depends on what you want. For me personally, I travel internationally and I use google voice as my dialer. I also need efficient and fast mobile tethering to my laptop. These are dealbreakers when it comes to the iphone. My Galaxy Nexus came unlocked (via Google play) and is pentaband which means I can use it anywhere in the world using local sim cards. Google voice also allows me to use one number and one contact list no matter how often I switch phones. GV also doesn't play well with the iphone. And the wifi hotspot tethering speed on the Nexus is as fast as home internt and uploads three times faster than home internet. When I travel overseas with my colleagues, their iphones become useless unless they tether off of me. But your needs might be different than mine. For my mom, I recommend the iphone. She never travels, can be locked into a contract, rarely uses internet on her phone except for emails. She just wants something that works. For her, an Android is just too complicated and the additional features will never be used.

iPhone. You don't need the apps but when you decide you want them, you'll be let down by trying to get them via the android route. That's my experience, at least.

I went from Android>>>iPhone.

iPhone superior on the set functions and execution that it does have. Easy to use.

Android-
third party apps can lock into the overall experience much easier. Unlike iPhone that requires change the iOS third party apps can actually be added into daily part of routine. Eg google voice or Skype can recognize an international # and it asks you before dialing on straight off the key pad to use that app. Some one sends you an address you can directly click it and Androids mapping and navigation apps pick this up and give you choice or default.

Both are very good, just what you like.

Lastly on iPhone 3G is pretty slow IMHO.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BrianWC
iPhone. You don't need the apps but when you decide you want them, you'll be let down by trying to get them via the android route. That's my experience, at least.

Every app I have ever wanted is available for my Android, and usually free.

My wife got an iPhone a few months ago, and I have to admit to being taken by it. The still and video camera are phenomenal, even regardless of their physical size. It takes better HD video than our Sony HD camcorder. The user experience is more streamlined in my opinion. I've had Android phones for 3 or 4 years and they've always performed pretty well, but you have the ocassional lock-up, the hang, the crash, the force close, etc.

The differences between iPhones and Android phones, in general, are becoming smaller, at least as far as hardware goes. I was always a critic of the iPhone's lack of removable battery and lack of SD card bay. As it turns out, fewer and fewer Android phones have these features these days. To me, that was one of the big advantages of the 'Droids. Then again, you never really have to pull the battery on an iPhone because it's generally very stable. My wife has never reset hers, in the 3 months she had it. Her previous Droid 2 had to have a full factory reset about every 6 weeks because it'd repeatedly lock up and would no longer recognize the keyboard.

Yesterday, I upgraded to an iPhone. Like any new phone and new experience, there's a lot to like and a lot to play with and explore. The screen quality is outstanding, the user interface is extremely well thought-out, and the hardware is superior in construction to any other phone I've held. If you like that aspect of something, the engineering, the feel, the construction, you'll like the iPhone. If you like customizing phones and rooting them and things like that, you'll like an Android.

My brother had an iPhone 3GS and moved to Android a few years ago. He's now on a new Google Nexus (that new one that keeps dropping calls) and he says he might go back to an iPhone.

I personally don't think one is "better" or "worse" than the other. Each will simply SUIT different users better or worse than another. Kind of like Ford vs. Chevy. Both are fine vehicles, but some people just seem to like one more than the other, and for any number of good reasons. Android and iPhone is the same way in my opinion.

Android.

I don't like the idea of apple and their marketing/tracking provisions that can NOT be removed from THEIR devices. You might own an iphone, but they control it.

you can not tether or hotspot any apple product, even jailbroken, it's very difficult to find an app to do this as apple will quickly remove it.
If you have an app on your i device, that apple does not approve of, it will be removed and there's nothing you can do about it.
eventually, you will sync to itunes where they will know your business.

my android's tracking features have been removed. I even block permissions on apps like words with friends doesn't need to know who I call. that's blocked. same with everything else. you can choose what you want it to do.

as for battery life, it's a draw. you have a mini computer, it will suck down power.
there are more free apps for Android and more freedom to do whatever YOU want to do with YOUR phone.

Bias disclosure: Cupertino fruit company employee on the fruit bar division.

It depends on whether you like to tinker and get custom software installed or not. Android has a much easier way to install these apps and you can tinker with it much easier than iPhone. It also depends on which company you get it from. HTC tends to be better than Motorola and Samsung in this regard. If you want a simple interface and smoother user experience, and are satisfied with what the app store provide, iPhone is hands down better in this regard.

4G (LTE I assume) will eventually come as both camps develop it and the whole industry migrate over it. Do you want to wait, or do you want to get it NOW?

Ask your friends if you can borrow their phones for a few hours and see which one you like better.

Last edited:
Panda, good balanced perspective. Wheres the bias?

Even without LTE, most high end Android have theoretical download capability of 21 to 42mbps. In practical terms, My GSM nexus on Tmobile does 6 to 8k download and 2 to 3k upload. That's faster than my home internet.

There are 3 iPhone 4s in my household, and 2 Motorola Razors (4G android).

iPhone is easier for the novice. Simple apps, intuitive interface. It is a really capable device. It's what I carry and my 2 daughters LOVE their iPhone...

Android has more capability for the advanced user. It's a bigger, clearer screen than the iPhone but a bit more bulky despite it's incredible slimness...Further, the Verizon ones we have are much, much faster (4G) than the iPhones we have (3G). My wife and teenage son LOVE theirs...

Last edited:
One thing to remember:

The current generation of LTE chipsets are all data only, the voice and 3G (HSPA+, EVDO, etc) data is on a different chipset. So you will find thin and light 3G only phones with reasonable battery life, or thin / light LTE phones with horrible battery life because they need 2 sets of chips instead of one, but not everything you want.

The coming generations of chipsets will have LTE and everything below integrated into one, so you have a more reasonable battery life compare to what we have today. When you are picking an Android phone, keep this in mind when you shop. Do you want battery life and small size, or do you want faster data.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rjundi
I went from Android>>>iPhone.

I went from iPhone>>>Android. The speed of the phone and 4G LTE along with the much larger display (could be a negative for some) easily tipped the scales for me. I found the iPhone to be "moody" at times and I like the "open sourceness" of the Andriod over the iPhone.

At the end of the day you will receive opinions to go either way; try them both out and see what she likes and go from there...

Ive never had an iphone but my samsung galaxy s2 is one id reccomend if someone wanted a great phone. It has never locked up and always runs very quick. It lasts for a couple days when u use it as a phone only. I can listen to very loud music for a whole day at least. I can look at webpages all day even using wifi without killing the battery.

I love the over 4" screen which is a gorilla glass protected amoled disolay that is soo nice to look at. Unlike that tiny i phone screen. Ill get another android phone for sure. Maybe the galaxy s3. That phone sounds sweet. Oh and ive never had a dropped call.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back