Power steering fluid or ATF for Toyota?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a 2012 Toyota 4Runner last week. And while getting familiar with the vehicle, I noticed that the factory put what appears to be amber power steering fluid in the system. The owner's manual states to use Dex II or III ATF only. Has anyone else noticed this in a new Toyota? Did Toyota make a change and forget to tell us?

I traded a 2009 RAV4 with EPS (no fluid). And I still own a 2000 Tundra that came with and still gets serviced with ATF DEX III.

It could be non dyed ATF. Or PS fluid. PS fluid does not take a lot of abuse like ATF or engine oil. Its a closed hydraulic system.

I certainly would not worry about it. If it fails, you can say you never touched the fluid.

I checked the fluid in a 2012 Tundra yesterday and it is the same fluid that's in my 4Runner reservoir. Has anyone seen a Dex II or III ATF that wasn't dyed red? I emailed "ask Toyota" yesterday, but haven't received a response.

From what I remember reading, there are considerable differences in chemistry between PS fluid and ATF.

I'm pretty convinced that the FF fluid is PS fluid by the looks and smell. The reservoir cap has "POWER STEERING FLUID" stamped on it as well. I've been using DEX III or equivalent in my 2000 Tundra for almost 13 years as the manual recommends. All DEX III products I've used were red and had a very distinctive smell (stunk). The fluid in my 4Runner is clear/amber and has a very neutral oil smell.

I hope Toyota answers my question, but I wouldn't be surprised if they say to use what the manual recommends.

Originally Posted By: Donald
It could be non dyed ATF. Or PS fluid. PS fluid does not take a lot of abuse like ATF or engine oil. Its a closed hydraulic system.

I certainly would not worry about it. If it fails, you can say you never touched the fluid.

PS systems suffer a LOT of abuse - they can run HOT! and the fluid not only seals, but lubricates and must survive the pump's high pressures.
[BTW - a transmission is also also a closed hydraulic system.]

It is odd to me that a 2012 car specs old DexII.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2

Agreed. As I mentioned in the other referenced thread, the G just mentions Dex on the cap, but the manual calls for Dexron VI of all things for power steering in Canada.

I wasn't sure before because of lighting conditions, but I finally took a good look. The stuff in the pump on the G is definitely red. It doesn't seem as red as PSF, but that could still be the lighting conditions.

Not sure on the Toyota PS fluid thing, but to the "clearish" ATF I can say I've seen that. The newer Nissan Frontier come with the AT filled with clear on the dip stick (slightly pink on a paper towel) ATF. It really freaked me out when I pulled my dip stick the first time!

It's amazing to me what auto makers will do to see if someone has messed with the fluid! (That's the only reason that I can think they would have done this since the MaticS you buy at the dealer is red)

Seems like every 2006 and up Toyota leaves the factory with amber fluid. Just flush it out with a synthetic ATF and you will not regret it.

Put what the owner's manual says. I would think those engineers know what they're talking about when it comes to power steering fluid. My Chrysler says to use Mopar power steering fluid +4 or ATF + 4. I use ATF.
Originally Posted By: INDYMAC
I bought a 2012 Toyota 4Runner last week. And while getting familiar with the vehicle, I noticed that the factory put what appears to be amber power steering fluid in the system. The owner's manual states to use Dex II or III ATF only. Has anyone else noticed this in a new Toyota? Did Toyota make a change and forget to tell us?

I traded a 2009 RAV4 with EPS (no fluid). And I still own a 2000 Tundra that came with and still gets serviced with ATF DEX III.

I have used M1 ATF in my PS pumps for many years and have never had a failure. Performs very well in the coldest temps we get here in Illinois.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Originally Posted By: Donald

PS systems suffer a LOT of abuse - they can run HOT! and the fluid not only seals, but lubricates and must survive the pump's high pressures.
[BTW - a transmission is also also a closed hydraulic system.]

My comment was in perspective. No wear materials (clutch) like a transmission and no combustion by products (engine). Its not a piece of cake, but much less than other components.

My '01 Tundra was the same way from the factory, an amber fluid that didn't smell like ATF. I've done a fluid replacement a number of times using M1 and Amsoil ATF over the years with no ill effects.

As I mentioned in the PSF change thread, I did a reservoir evacuation and refill on the G37. The factory fill wasn't as red as most other ATFs I've seen, and certainly less red than the Mobil Super Dexron-VI that I used to refill. It definitely smelled like ATF, though.

Originally Posted By: widman
Dex VI makes sense in cold climates for the low temp properties.

I was kind of surprised to see Nissan/Infiniti specify actual Dexron-VI, rather than a more generic call for Dexron.

Originally Posted By: Garak
As I mentioned in the PSF change thread, I did a reservoir evacuation and refill on the G37. The factory fill wasn't as red as most other ATFs I've seen, and certainly less red than the Mobil Super Dexron-VI that I used to refill. It definitely smelled like ATF, though.

ATFs can smell so different these days, none of that old-school celery smelling stuff. You've got all kinds of oniony, minty, and yellow-grassy smells mixed in with the nasty fishy smells....

/if I ever open a bottle of ATF and it smells like Pine-Sol I'm returning it to the store.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: INDYMAC
I checked the fluid in a 2012 Tundra yesterday and it is the same fluid that's in my 4Runner reservoir. Has anyone seen a Dex II or III ATF that wasn't dyed red? I emailed "ask Toyota" yesterday, but haven't received a response.

From what I remember reading, there are considerable differences in chemistry between PS fluid and ATF.

yes, my 1st gen tundra came with a clear-ish fluid in the power steering reservoir. it also was a dex ii/iii atf, just without dye. i did switch it over to a synthetic atf though.

still not sure what the difference is between a good synthetic psf and synthetic atf. i thought i read somewhere that psf has a bit more chemicals in it to expand the seals.

and not meaning to hijack your thread, but one day when your ps pump goes out our your rack needs to be replaced or both, then what? are the non-oem replacement parts really designed to be ATF vs PSF? once you have a big mix of components from various suppliers, what is the correct fluid to use at that point?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back