QS Defy ZDDP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know for sure how much ZDDP is in the Defy? I have been searching, and cannot seem to find out. Someone was saying it is not a lot. I thought about giving it a try, and maybe the UD for my wife's Titan, but I have never used QS before. The prices seem really good though. Thank you for any help.

839? That seems no different than PYB, or most other SOPUS products. Actually, most oils have that number; Valvoline, Mobil exc. I wonder how their UD compares to the likes of PP, PU, or Synpower exc?

Originally Posted By: Since1941
839? That seems no different than PYB, or most other SOPUS products.

I agree, it does seem low for a "zddp heavy" oil. Other than down-rating it to SL, it really doesn't look much different than the QS High Mileage oil it replaced.

However, I wouldn't mind seeing a couple more VOAs (and UOAs) before closing the book on this one.

the 4.0L love the 5w40 rotella T6 , I own the 2000 jeep 4.0 for 8 months and try quiet a few oil, before I sold it yesterday I try 5w40 rotella T6 it made extremly different, smooth running and the knock sound in the morning go away faster.

Last edited:
Nobody really knows at this point how much ZDDP is in it, the one VOA we've seen (posted above) also shows only 1639 Calcium, that's not likely in any modern oil much less a HM, so I don't think that VOA is accurate.

But I still wouldn't expect a boat load either. Looking at the TDS it looks to me like Defy is the better oil than it's big brother, Pennzoil HM. Still want to see some UOA's on Defy.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
But I still wouldn't expect a boat load either. Looking at the TDS it looks to me like Defy is the better oil than it's big brother, Pennzoil HM. Still want to see some UOA's on Defy.

We need to bribe the PQIA to do some testing on all the HM oils!
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: chevyboy14
I liked it in my truck when i ran it I wouldn't be afraid ultimate use it. Sopus makes good stuff

Agreed. My Equinox loves it. Smooth and quiet running it.

I just called Shell to ask about the ZDP levels. Talked to Michael, I believe. He said the Defy has a little over 1,000ppm of ZDP. That makes sense being it's API SL.

He told me he has been with them for over 30 years and that in the last 5 years they have been really working hard at making some outstanding oils.

He also said Defy is 50% synthetic. Super nice guy. If you call them, ask for him. LOL.

Thanks for the info, buster. Did he make any mention as to which grade that was? If it's only the 10w-40, they're cheating.
wink.gif

In any case, it's on special right now here and I think I'll get some for the old F-150.

I should have asked him that. I did say 5w20.

The 5w20 carries the SL rating, so something doesn't jive between that and the VOA from B/S labs on here. QS does say the 5w20 has 25% more ZDP, which would put it around the 1k ppm mark.

50% Grp III. Not a super long drain oil, but definitely a good oil for moderate drain intervals.

Originally Posted By: buster
The 5w20 carries the SL rating, so something doesn't jive between that and the VOA from B/S labs on here. QS does say the 5w20 has 25% more ZDP, which would put it around the 1k ppm mark.

I'd agree with that. Just about every Blackstone HM oil VOA seems to have really low zinc levels, to the point of having too little for even API standards.

Called again. 5w20 has 1,000 ppm. 10w40 has 1,200 ppm.

5w20 contains a bit more than 50% Syn base oil, which I assume is a grp III.

Ahah! A UOA posted by Jarlaxle in the Jeep 4.0 for Quaker State Defy. This time the numbers look like they should, AND he got some very low iron numbers in a 4.0 for a 5k run. This oil just jumped a few notches in my book.

:
OIL: QS Defy 10W-30
MILES IN USE 4950
MILES ON VEHICLE:176,972
SAMPLE TAKEN 5/20/12

ALUMINUM 4
CHROMIUM 1
IRON 23
COPPER 4
LEAD 3
TIN 0
MOLYBDENUM 102
NICKEL 1
MANGANESE 0
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 2
BORON 106
SILICON 9
SODIUM 105
CALCIUM 2155
MAGNESIUM 14
PHOSPHORUS 904
ZINC 1003
BARIUM 0

INSOLUBLES 0.4
WATER 0
COOLANT 0
FLASHPOINT ºF 380
SUS VIS 210ºF 59.5
cSt @ 212ºF 10.08

At 900 ppm Phosphorous, I wouldn't class Defy as a high zddp oil. That is a zddp level of SJ and SL oils, so it would be good for cars going back to 2001. It's probably a stretch to say it would be good for classic muscle cars with slider-follower cams.

I think it would be good for a lot of applications going back even further than that. A very high output muscle car, perhaps not. But I wouldn't blink about using it in a Ford straight six or a Dodge slant six or a Chevy 305.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back