Disappearance of Etan Patz in 1979

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't remember the disappearance of Etan Patz in 1979. I would have been in high school at that time. This case seems strange. The Police suspected the babysitter's boy friend. Jose Ramos (a convicted child-molester). Ramos was never charged criminally for the disappearance of Etan, and denies being involved, but in 2004, a civil judge found him responsible for Etan's death.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2012-04-23/etan-patz-basement-dig-search/54495056/1

Now 33 years later they have another suspect Pedro Hernandez who the Police claim implicated himself. The Police used a cadaver dog to search a vacant lot where they boy would have walked on his way to the buss stop. The dog supposedly picked up a scent, but no remains were found.

story

How can a dog pick up a 33 year old scent? How can a dog tell the difference between a child's 33 year-old remains and the remains of a dead mouse.

I do not remember the name. I just remember his his photos on the milk jugs I can not imagine what this would be like for his parents.

As for the cadaver dogs, Animals have strange senses that it will take a lot longer for us to understand, but the training of the dog plays a huge part on what the Animal can identify as remains and how long the remains have been decomposing.

Status
Not open for further replies.