WS Fluid Analysis 6 Speed attached to 2GR-FE V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
The debate about Toyota WS transmission fluid rages on. Maybe I am using the search function incorrectly on this forum but when I try - I get nothing relevant in the 200 results:
Your search for 'toyota WS transmission fluid analysis' returned 200 results.

So here is my specific question:

Has anyone done a "UOA" equivalent on the fluid of a 6 speed attached to a 3.5L V6 after 50,000 or more miles? Over in the clublexus forum, someone posted pictures of new and 45K fluid and it is darker.

Does this really mean it needs to be changed?

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/es350/610650-sealed-transmission-maintenance-2.html
Post #25
ittttt

Last edited:
I haven't found one either, but indications are the fluid needs a refresher by 30k miles. What are you thinking of using? The Amsoil ATL looks nice. I am strongly considering it, but the WS is easy to get and a little cheaper.

A dark fluid is no indication of worn out ATF. But my bro had transmission fluid flushed @ 60K on his RX350 as he got 2MPG less (this on me pushing him). There are other ASE certificated Lexus/Toyo techs who think 60K is a right time to flush based on posts on other forums.

That will be my flush point on my ES350.

Toyota WS VOA
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1169896#Post1169896

Toyota WS UOA
(15k & 30k)
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1247803#Post1247803

The the oil has sheared-down to 4.89cSt in 30k and we don't have a particle count/analysis to see how the filter is handling things. A non-shear oil like Red Line D6 will stay in the 6.x cSt range but this doesn't help if the filtration is insufficient.

If that was my UOA I would change at 15k. On a new vehicle I would change at 1k and again at 10k with a pan-drop & magnet / filter inspection. After that, assuming the filters are good, I would use Red Line D6 and have it checked for the first few years to see how it's doing.

More:
Toyota WS VOA
www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=920161

Toyota WS UOA 33k
www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2291243

Toyota WS UOA 15k, 30k, 59k
www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1694190

Toyota WS UOA 15k, 30k, 59k & Amsoil ATL 31k
www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=175154&Number=2613996

Toyota WS UOA 18k
www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1301827

Toyota WS 2/3 UOA 33k
www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2291243

Based on these it does not look like the oil is shearing much past 5.0 cSt. This is why it's important to do multiple / consistent reports so that you can see the trends.

Originally Posted By: Paul3637
Maybe I am using the search function incorrectly on this forum but when I try - I get nothing relevant in the 200 results:

Two-letter strings such as WS seem to be ignored during a search.

Originally Posted By: Carbon
Originally Posted By: Paul3637
Maybe I am using the search function incorrectly on this forum but when I try - I get nothing relevant in the 200 results:

Two-letter strings such as WS seem to be ignored during a search.

Thanks matinq & carbon !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back