Steering wheel wobble during acceleration

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a '99 Corolla with 282K miles and this problem just started occuring. Only when I accelerate, the steering wheel wobbles back and forth fairly severely and the front end of the car shakes. It doesn't happen when I'm driving at a steady speed or during deceleration. What could be causing this problem?

If it is only upon acceleration, I would start with the CV half shafts. One of the CV joints will have play in it, and that combined with a tire that is not quite balanced will create the shaking.

Whatever it is, I'm sure it's going to cost hundreds to fix...nothing that has to be fixed anymore can be fixed inexpensively...I suppose even Toyotas wear our eventually....

Motor mounts should be easy to check for problems and not be that big a deal to replace if they are the culprit.

This a manual or automatic?

If it's your CV axle you can usually get a junkyard axle for under $50. On my saturn they are pretty easy to just pop out, depends on what sort of clip holds it in the differential.

That and you just need a big-a socket for the axle nut and time and patience to get the hub off.

If you're a daring sort, you could run the thing up to speed on jack stands and look for the wobble then.

It's a manual...and I just took it to the shop...waiting for a call with an estimate....I do most of my own work on my vehicles, but when it comes to something of a semi-major to major issue like this, I usually won't try to tackle it myself. I just don't have the tools or the confidence to do it myself. I know it's gonna cost me to get it fixed, but I've been driving this car for almost 7 years now with no car payments and the car's required very few repiars....I'd say I'm getting my money's worth out of it...

Originally Posted By: eljefino
If it's your CV axle you can usually get a junkyard axle for under $50.

Heck, you could get a 'new' one from Rock Auto for that.

It's amazing how cheap axle replacements can be considering what they are and what they do. Granted, quality differs considerably, but for an axle that's been cleaned up, checked for serviceability, rebuilt, re-booted, etc, $50 is a steal.

Originally Posted By: grampi
I know it's gonna cost me to get it fixed, but I've been driving this car for almost 7 years now with no car payments and the car's required very few repiars....I'd say I'm getting my money's worth out of it...

I feel the same way about my '01 Subaru. I bought it new and paid it off 7 years ago. As much as I'd like a new car, my Sube would really have to have something go seriously wrong with it to justify spending $500 per month on a car payment to replace it.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
I know it's gonna cost me to get it fixed, but I've been driving this car for almost 7 years now with no car payments and the car's required very few repiars....I'd say I'm getting my money's worth out of it...

I feel the same way about my '01 Subaru. I bought it new and paid it off 7 years ago. As much as I'd like a new car, my Sube would really have to have something go seriously wrong with it to justify spending $500 per month on a car payment to replace it.

Exactly! The way I see it, this Corolla's been saving me a car payment every month, so I guess a repair cost of a few hundred dollars every couple hundred K miles is acceptable...the engine and tranny are still solid, so I'm gonna keep driving it...

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
That age and those miles, I'd say it's most likely a motor mount(s).

big +1

The guy just called me from the repair place with an estimate for replacing a bunch of stuff that has nothing to do with the problem...he wants to replace struts and sway bars and basically suspension parts, which I know are worn, but I also know they're also not causing this particular problem....should I ask to talk to the mechanic and tell him to specifically check for a bad half shaft or motor mount?

Unfortunately it looks like they are trying to pad the bill, which is normal nowadays. Mechanics have to eat too, I guess.

That said, he shouldn't be just throwing parts at it. You have a specific symptom that they should be able to track down and repair what's causing it... and nothing else.

The guy just called me from the repair place with an estimate for replacing a bunch of stuff that has nothing to do with the problem...he wants to replace struts and sway bars and basically suspension parts, which I know are worn, but I also know they're also not causing this particular problem....should I ask to talk to the mechanic and tell him to specifically check for a bad half shaft or motor mount?

Definitely talk to the mechanic and let him know that you do not want to overhaul the whole front suspension. Better yet, go over there and let them show you how things look like under the car.

Originally Posted By: nitehawk55
If there is some front end components worn they won't help the problem .

True, but they aren't causing the problem either...if they were causing this problem it would happen all the time, not just during acceleration...

Front drive problems can be difficult to isolate, especially when there are a lot of worn out parts. There well may be multiple causes all adding up. (the front drive is at its highest load under acceleration)

Once the car is on the lift all you need is a pry bar to find components with too much play. That is why I suggested going over there and let them show OP what they found. Then it's up to OP to decide what to do next.
Trying to diagnose it over the phone or the internet forum is guess work.

If everything in the front end is worn, (which it may or may not be) good luck isolating it to the exact part causing the issue. And if everything is that worn out, this car is likely very dangerous. What if you had to make a quick maneuver to avoid hitting a pedestrian or bicycle?

Saving money driving a beater is one thing, but at some point you have to consider the liability if you're driving a death trap.

Originally Posted By: Billbert
Front drive problems can be difficult to isolate, especially when there are a lot of worn out parts. There well may be multiple causes all adding up. (the front drive is at its highest load under acceleration)

Exactly , I should have been more clear about that . You can't just cherry pick which front end parts you may think are the issue , they pretty much work together and have likely got to a point where most will have to be replace if showing excessive wear . Yes , you can usually get by with a little wear but if several are worn then the problem becomes much greater .

Go to the garage and have them show you their findings so you understand .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back