Z-Max

Status
Not open for further replies.
Used Z-Max three times (every 6 months) in my 96 Lin Conti with 105,356 miles. Changed oil every 3-4K. Now switched to Mo 1 0W-30 during the winter months w/o Z-Max. Any thoughts on the Z-Max oil, fuel and trans additive?
nono.gif
I can say that the engine temp went down and the trans "seems" to shift smoother.

Z-Max, along with just about every other miracle additive out there has NEVER been proven by any authotitative lab to do anything benificial for any vehicle.
In fact, when you study the complete reports of most of the labs that give the 'glowing testimonials' for these products, they read completely differently than what the snake-oil markerter claims.
The marketers will take the results and focus on just a portion of any particular test that looks positive and completely ignore the final test conclusion, which is usually inconclusive.(at best!).Sometimes, wear and tear is actually accelerated!
In fact, only one major oil marketer ever even got involved in snake-oil(Valvoline w/ 'TM8),and boy, did they get thier 't*t in a ringer'!
Testimonials are basically worthless, as they are only opinions, and the marketers are not held responsible for anything that is claimed in a testimonial.
Personally, if a company had proven the value of any product 100% with exacting tests and had me convinced, and then brought out the testimonials, I would probably change my mind. Testimonials are only used when there are no facts to back up a claim. If you have facts, who needs testimonials?
When I was younger, I beleived every snake-oil treatment I saw! In fact, in Houston, TX in the 70's, I remember seeing a salesman driving around in his car selling 'Lubrilon'(which I think later became Slick 50).His demonstration with two little metal discs, some of his product, some motor oil and a cigarette lighter stayed with me for years! Great demonstration!
That stuff was (I think) about $200 a quart then! And I bought some! Loved it. It worked great! Maybe.Or maybe not, who knows. I changed my oil every 2,500 miles and had no problems.
Now I think I am a little more educated (hopefully), and I would never dream of putting snake-oil in my motor oil. I change the oil every 2,500. Never have problems.
And about Z-Max in particular, when at a convention several years ago, Z-Max had a booth set up to showcase their product. I took several of my employees with me. The last day of the show, when all the booths were being torn down and everyone was packing up their merchandise, we wandered by the Z-Max table and struck up a conversation.
Anyway, long story short, they ended up giving us an entire pallet of their 3-part kits! Thats 96 kits! Not so we would try the product, and not so we could test it for them (they didn't even know our names or where we were from).No, they gave it to us because they didn't want to load it on the truck!
Didn't really convince me that they think their product is worth much.
I brought the stuff back and gave it all away to my shop managers.
Don't let me sway you though, thats just my opinion.

Yea, I hear Z-max went under several lawsuits because Z-max is corrosive and eventually will cause oxidation on the internal parts of the engine. However, if you can 105K w/o any problems with it, great!! I don't like oil, fuel, or tranny additives, I prefer the use of synthetic oils and greases. But that's just me
grin.gif

itschy.gif
AR

[ December 02, 2002, 05:26 PM: Message edited by: Airborne Ranger ]

cobravenom71

I fully agree with everything you say, but add one more major oil marketer to your list. Pennzoil-Quaker St. Co. owns Slick 50.

"Slick50® products are manufactured by Pennzoil-Quaker State Company. On October 1, 2002, the acquisition of Pennzoil-Quaker State Company by Shell Oil Products US, an affiliate of the Royal Dutch/Shell Group of Companies, was completed. Combining Shell's networks and infrastructure and Pennzoil-Quaker State Company's leading motor oil brands, portfolio of car care brands and Jiffy Lube stores, the new company is a leader in the U.S. lubricants and car care business."

Now this begs a few questions--if Slick 50 is good for an engine, why doesn't it carry the Pennzoil name? Or why doesn't every bottle of Pennz and QS motor oil recommend the addition of Slick 50? Or why don't Pennz & QS products contain Slick 50? Will we see Slick 50 with Shell's name on it? Or is Slick 50's only benefit to the profit line of the retailer and the manufacturer? (don't answer...I feel that the last item is the only truth.)

About Z-Max...save your money and be glad you have no apparent engine damage. The number of aftermarket additives that do good is a VERY short list (LC?...Schaeffer's #132 for non-Schaeffer oil?...Auto-Rx?). The number that do nothing besides waste money is much longer. There's also quite a long list of additives that promise much and do long-term damage.

Ken

[ December 02, 2002, 05:38 PM: Message edited by: Ken ]

Ken,
I think the obvious answer to your question is that "snake oil" products have their following and make money.

However, Pennzoil doesn't want to tarnish their name among serious car people who know to avoid such junk so they avoid direct brand association like they will with Regain and other products.
wink.gif

--- Bror Jace

tongue.gif
Mr. Jace, you are correct, of course with the info about QS owning Slick 50. What I actually meant was that Valvoline was the only oil matketer to put thier 'brand name' on the same bottle, as in 'Valvoline TM-8'. They quickly realized what a blunder THAT was!

FYI,

For the most part i am not a "snake-oil" additive user. I bought Z-Max 3-months ago for thier advertised 150k mile transmission-fule system-engine warranty offered with the product.

I filled out all the paperwork and the insurance company that backs the warranty is certified by the better business bureau. Heck for 150k warranty why not?

If you read the warranty carefully, you'll see that they don't just give a blanket warranty against component failure. What they warranty is that if you follow all thier specs (timely oil and filter changes, etc...) then they waranty that you will not have any lubrication-related component failures. With good oil in the engine, it is not possible to have a lubricant-ralated failure.Its basically a non-warranty.
nono.gif

Performance Claims For zMax Auto Additives Are Unsubstantiated, FTC Charges

In short:
quote:

...enhanced performance claims for the product are unsubstantiated, that tests cited to support performance claims actually demonstrated that motor oil treated with zMax produced more than twice as much bearing corrosion than motor oil alone, and that the three different products - an engine additive, a fuel line additive and a transmission additive - were all actually tinted mineral oil.

When the FTC feels like they have to get involved, they usually cut 'right to the chase'. In the case of thier examining the so-called 'positive test resuults' of all the major additives, there was not one single example of a producy that could be proven to do anything benificial in its intended purpose.
It seems to me that if there was just ONE of these types of additives that could be proven to do anything ar all, then a lot of people would change thier minds.
If the company won't tell you what thier 'secret formula' is, there must be a reason! And not a good one , I bet!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back