Brake-Kleen to clean out manual tranny???

Status
Not open for further replies.
not really.

I suppose in certain transmissions it could be ok but why? if its that dirty change it more often?

you are more likely to leave a bunch in the transmission and cause rusting/corrosion or startup wear after fluid replacement.

Strikes me as a pretty bad idea. As a solvent it's kryptonite to any oil. Most of it evaporates but you don't get it all out. Getting something clean enough to eat off of is NOT important.

I wouldn't do it.

I would use it to clean the parts if the tranny was apart and safety-Kleen wasn't available.

...with gloves

IF the gearbox is junk, and IF you're willing to take the chance on trashing it, blast away.

I had a steering gear on an old Mack that was so stiff the steering wheel stayed whereever you let go of it. I pulled out the drain plug and there was nothing. Not even a drip. I filled it up with mineral spirits, drove it around the parking lot for half an hour, drained it and refilled with gear lube. It worked just fine for 6 weeks until the new truck was ready to go.

We sold it with a warning attached to the Bill of Sale that the gearbox had been run without lube and needed to be rebuilt. The new owner ran it for years without rebuilding the box.

I would not do this. If you want it clean then change normally, lol. As a added step you can fill it up with a pint or quart and let it sit a sec, then drain again.

I don't understand the idea of removing "residue". AFAIK gear lube is supposed to "cling" more than motor oil, to remain more easily on the surfaces in the higher pressures in a gearbox.

Like was said, I could see if doing a rebuild it might...might...make sense.

Sounds like whoever suggested it either took the comment out of context or the cleanliness gene to altered state.
wink.gif

I would recommend you NOT do it since the ketones in the brake cleaner might damage the seals.

Just change fluid more often or try a different MTL-specific fluid if you think it is sludging.

It was done to my transmission by a particular shop. He said they hose it and let it sit for an hour or so to drain and evaporate. But I would still question the usefulness of it. It didn't damage the seals as far as I know and once it evaporates and the new fluid is in, should be no problem. This is a very good shop otherwise, just a strange practice, so if my son takes his truck there we will specifically request no Brake Keen.

I would change his out myself but the steel plug is badly rusted and the surrounding aluminum case is corroded. Worse, it is a big hex fitting, perhaps 3/4 or 7/8 inch. Can I try to loosen it or might I destroy it? Alternative is to pull the shift lever and change it out the top.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Just drain and fill it.
Good advice, but I'm going to leave it in--take my chances. I don't see any harm as it does not leave residue and was allowed plenty of time to air out.

But I am planning to do my Son's myself with him helping. I already sprayed Break Away around the plug, and rigged up a 17 mm (or 11/16" whichever it is) bolt head that fits nice and snug in the hex indent. Have double nutted it tight and will of course remove the rusty fill plug first (hee hee, never pull the drain first in case the fill plug is stuck).

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Just drain and fill it.
Good advice, but I'm going to leave it in--take my chances. I don't see any harm as it does not leave residue and was allowed plenty of time to air out.

I would agree with draining perfectly good lube. JMO, but I think the chances of anything going wrong are slim to none. Changing the lube at all, however, probably provided a net positive impact, so who cares?

Yeah, my main thing was that I am stunned that anyone would do this. The stuff is not made for that purpose. Oh well, just one more reason to do it yourself.

What I meant was that instead of a drain, flush and refill, to just drain and refill only.

Any small amounts of brakeclean will evaporate if you did flush with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back