Marvel's Mystery Oil Gas treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought some MMO Gas treatment the other day and put half the bottle into my gas tank today(recommended for 15-20gal tanks I have 10.5). Has anyone ever used this stuff? Is it just regular MMO? The bottle does list benefits that the regular oil bottle does not. I'll keep ya posted on the results but already I've noticed the engine does seem a bit quieter when I pop the hood and when I'm accelerating.

--Matt

MM probably doesn't hurt anything. I have used it off and on for years. When I use it the gas milage appears to go up slightly.I would assume that the extra lub in there cuts friction slightly. I think that your vehicle will live happily without. As far as benefits which-you can't always believe what ya read.
grin.gif

Al I believe he is talking about the Marvel gas treatment ,not the Marvel oil that can also be used in gas or oil. I have used the gas treatment,,did not notice any difference but you know what? I have never noticed any difference with any additive in the fuel in a car that was running well the than one that was used as a UCL during breakin last summer. The analysis showed it was not burning so well but I might have been using too much on occasion ?
I think most of these are a preventive maintanence deal and I like the ones that lube while they clean but many cars never get a additive ran in them and live long lives "injectors and such " and I don't bring the boroscope out just for grins anymore,

I can understand different companies having fuel additives to offer for sale but man,some have way many in their line.

[ November 22, 2002, 08:48 AM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

dragboat:"I have used the gas treatment, did not notice any difference, but you know what? I have never noticed any difference with any additive in the fuel in a car that was running well ..."

Exactly, this has been my experience as well. I have used Red Line SI-1 and isoporpyl alcohol to clean up problems in others' cars, but not my own.

I use fuel system cleaners sparingly as a preventative and my car still runs strongly despite the 126,000+ miles on the clock. Never a day when it seemed to misfire, buck, backfire or otherise run crummy because the fuel system was contaminated.

I had the head off my Civic recently and the machine shop told my mechanic that they saw evidence of valve recession. Even in clean-running cars, a little extra upper-cylinder lube will help in keeping a car running strong (minimize compression loss) once the miles start to pile up.

I don't know how much lubrication MMO gas treatment offers, but any would help. At the rate of 2 bottles per year, I don't know if I am using enough Red Line SI-1 to make a difference. I'm currently using Neutra 131. I'm not sure of its lubricating properties but because the per-ounce cost is lower, I'm using more of it.

--- Bror Jace

Bror,
Agree on all said.

The Lucas UCL was what showed was not burning well at a treatrate of 3 oz per 10 gallons.But every 4th tank I went without to avoid accumulation.I think there was a few times it might have gotten 5 ounces or so per 10 gallons so not saying it is not a good product just the user might have failed
smile.gif

Now using the 131 at same treatrate " 3 oz per 10 gallons " but thinking about knocking it down to 2 ounce per 10 gallons through winter.

One thing I like to do but have not done yet is to run a on step hotter plug in the winter if possible,,will get on that early next week

Of note on late model cars with exhaust valve recession,,sometimes it can be from running lean be it fuel pump or filter @ WOT or an intake leak ect.
Quality of components as well

drabgoat, it wouldn't surprise me that my Honda engine burns extra lean as a matter of course. Through out its life, I got an average of 42-44mpg.

The machine shop said the recession could have come from the leaky head gasket I was having replaced. I don't quite see how that could be the problem.
confused.gif

--- Bror Jace

I bought a Motohome in 1985 with a Ford 460 engine. After a couple of years the engine started running rough, so I did all the normal maintenance and tune-up. In a couple short trips the engine still ran rough so I added Marvel Mystery oil to the fuel. 1 ounce to 2 gallons of fuel. This cured my problem and ran good. But in 4000 miles of use the spark plugs would be coated solid with white crumbly debris. So I changed plugs and used the MMO fuel treatment. It produced the same results. New plugs and run great for 4K. Now, understand the engine ran great until the plugs were coated shut.

My advice is forget the MM oil and find another product. You can look at getting some Schaeffer's 131 Neutra which so far has worked great for me in autos, mowers and outboard boat engines. (Sold the Motor Home, so never used anything other that the MMO)

Another product that works is the Fuel Power. I just purchased this and have only run it in one engine with great results.

The objective is as Dragboat alluded to above, don't over medicate and use a product that won't foul the plugs, and has the ability to lubricate. 131 and Fuel Power both fall into this catagory from my personal observation.

[ November 22, 2002, 11:56 PM: Message edited by: 59 Vetteman ]

ya, this engine never had anything done to it but oil changes till I got it. There was a completely blocked fuel injector when I picked it up. But after a couple tanks with Gumout FI cleaner it's running like a charm and I figured MMO couldn't hurt and it was on sale.

--Matt

hmm, I suppose once this stuff is gone I'll pull the plugs and check everything out. I've burned almost a whole tank of gas since thursday evening(new girlfriend lives far away). Although I do note the engine does seem a little smoother.

--Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back