KIA OEM Filter TSB...

Status
Not open for further replies.
New Guy here with a question.

KIA released a TSB urging the use of OEM Filters only due to the lack of a "relief valve" in the aftermarket filters. Is this missing from all after market filters? Or just some(cheapies)?

Here is the info they provided
Quote:
During engine research & development, the mechanical engine lubrication system is designed to operate at specific volumes and pressures to keep the reciprocating & rotary components properly lubricated. Kia has assigned specific guidelines for the use of oil filters (Cartridge / Spin-on) and oil viscosity to conform to; filtration, leak down, oil flow rate and pressure variations, and to keep the lubrication system at optimal performance.

The use of aftermarket oil filters / o-rings / improper oil viscosities could result in less than optimal filtration, leak down, oil flow rate and pressure variations due to different oil filter designs and construction. Some of the symptoms and concerns that may arise with aftermarket filters / wrong oil viscosities include but are not limited to:

• Valve Train Noise
• Low Oil Pressure With Warning Light On
• Engine Knocking Noise
• Cold Start Engine Noise (2-7 seconds duration)
• Idle / Cruising Speed Engine Noise
• Whistle Noises

Kia does not test or approve any aftermarket filters and only recommends the use of Kia genuine parts that are designed to operate at the specifications set forth during engine lubrication design and testing. If the engine oil has been changed recently and a noise condition has developed, perform an inspection of the oil filter and or Customer oil change maintenance records to help you in determining if an aftermarket filter or the wrong oil viscosity was used. If the vehicle is equipped with an aftermarket oil filter, perform an oil change and filter using the correct oil grade / viscosity and a replacement genuine Kia oil filter at the customer’s expense. It is always best to use the electronic parts catalog, search by VIN to obtain the correct oil filter P/N; this will avoid confusion and possible engine damage. Note: Customer concerns as a result of incorrect oil viscosity or use of aftermarket oil filter should not be treated as a warranty repair and any related damage is not warrantable, nor is changing the engine oil and filter to isolate this condition.

filterp.jpg

filterp.jpg

I would say if the filter is speced to have one, then the filter has it assuming its half decent brand. However the bypass can be engineered differently and in different places. If you bought a M1 or D+ filter you can be sure it will have the proper bypass, so will a cheap OCOD. Maybe some cheap no names might not.

Purolator L14459 $3.27 at WalMart (Thats the one that fits the 1.6L Kia/Hyundai and has the correct relief valve pressure)
Relief Valve P.S.I.: 12-15
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes

The Kia/Hyundai Filters can be bought pretty reasonable though and they are a good filter.

Last edited:
Quote:
Note: Customer concerns as a result of incorrect oil viscosity or use of aftermarket oil filter should not be treated as a warranty repair and any related damage is not warrantable, nor is changing the engine oil and filter to isolate this condition.

To me this sounds like you have to use an OEM filter to keep the warranty.

Originally Posted By: sunfire
Quote:
Note: Customer concerns as a result of incorrect oil viscosity or use of aftermarket oil filter should not be treated as a warranty repair and any related damage is not warrantable, nor is changing the engine oil and filter to isolate this condition.

In that case the price of the Kia Filter is even better. Any OEM part required for warranty coverage must be supplied free of charge by Federal Law.

They are simply saying that if a filter made by someone else damages the engine its not their problem. To the best of my knowledge no manufacturer will pay for damage caused by a none oem part.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sunfire
Quote:

I had to reread it a few times the key is "any related damage"... caused by the incorrect oil viscosity or aftermarket oil filter. Which makes sense, Kia won't pay for a new engine if it's been determined that an aftermarket filter is the root cause of failure.

Last edited:
We just purchased a Kia Optima Turbo and this is one of the first things I found out about the car.

Pretty odd IMO, but I'll do it just so there are no issues over warranty. Pretty reasonable prices on these too.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I would say if the filter is speced to have one, then the filter has it assuming its half decent brand. However the bypass can be engineered differently and in different places. If you bought a M1 or D+ filter you can be sure it will have the proper bypass, so will a cheap OCOD. Maybe some cheap no names might not.

So....how would one know if a "filter is speced to have one"?

Originally Posted By: Gene K
Purolator L14459 $3.27 at WalMart (Thats the one that fits the 1.6L Kia/Hyundai and has the correct relief valve pressure)
Relief Valve P.S.I.: 12-15
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes

The Kia/Hyundai Filters can be bought pretty reasonable though and they are a good filter.

Ah..ok, so I can look at filter specs and they will tell me if they have this valve or not. Thanks!

Pure Ones are the only filters I run, so this will be my filter of choice

Quote:
Anti-Drainback Valve: Yes
Filter Bypass Relief Valve: Yes
Filter Type/Category: Spin On
Gasket Inside Diameter: 2.255 in
Gasket Outside Diameter: 2.491 in
Height: 2.95 in
Maximum Burst Pressure: 300 PSI
Micron Rating: > 5 mc
Recommended Change Interval: Use OE Recommendation
Relief Valve Opening Pressure: 12-18 PSI
Spin On: Yes
Thread Size: M20X1.5

Last edited:
From FTC.Gov on the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act:

"Tie-In Sales" Provisions

Generally, tie-in sales provisions are not allowed. Such a provision would require a purchaser of the warranted product to buy an item or service from a particular company to use with the warranted product in order to be eligible to receive a remedy under the warranty.

Wile companies can apply for waivers the hurdle is high in that they must essentially prove that suitable parts or service can only be obtained through them. In the absence of such a waiver the only remedy is to provide the parts or services free of charge. This allows the manufacturer to require it since they are not requiring a purchase.

Disclaimer: I am not entitled to Esquire.(IE I am not an Attorney).

My guess is the filter pictured is some sort of cut rate Chinese Filter thats sold by the gross at well under $1 a filter.

From FTC.Gov on the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act:

"Tie-In Sales" Provisions

Generally, tie-in sales provisions are not allowed. Such a provision would require a purchaser of the warranted product to buy an item or service from a particular company to use with the warranted product in order to be eligible to receive a remedy under the warranty.

Wile companies can apply for waivers the hurdle is high in that they must essentially prove that suitable parts or service can only be obtained through them. In the absence of such a waiver the only remedy is to provide the parts or services free of charge. This allows the manufacturer to require it since they are not requiring a purchase.

Disclaimer: I am not entitled to Esquire.(IE I am not an Attorney).

True or not about being a Attorney you just provided the wording of the law. But there will be sheeple that will only buy a KIA filter because they believe that is the only way their warranty will be honored. To the OP my advise use your pureone filter and correct oil viscosity that is in your owners manual and do not worry about a thing.

My guess is the filter pictured is some sort of cut rate Chinese Filter thats sold by the gross at well under $1 a filter.

It looks like an E-core, maybe even an ACDelco. And as we know, GM vehicles don't always require a bypass in the filter since there's one on the engine. I wouldn't be surprised if the filter depicted isn't even listed for a KIA in the first place, and it's all a trick to sell KIA filters or get out of warranty claims.

Originally Posted By: panthermike
We just purchased a Kia Optima Turbo and this is one of the first things I found out about the car.

Pretty odd IMO, but I'll do it just so there are no issues over warranty. Pretty reasonable prices on these too.

There's nothing odd about it at all. Do you think Infiniti would provide warranty for my engine if the Wix filter on it caused a failure? With respect to viscosity, what do you think Infiniti would do if I loaded the sump with 20w-50, started in -40 and immediately went on a WOT rip and caused problems?

Warranty is for manufacturing defects. It's not to protect the consumer from defective aftermarket parts. Kia has no control over Wix or Purolator, let alone shoddy jobber filters, so if a filter fails and it's not OEM, any engine damage is between the car owner and the filter manufacturer.

This reminds me of the PH3614 FRAM recall a couple months back.....apparantly they were "recalled" because some of the filters weren't mounting correctly to some of the "noted" application(s), resulting in problems....

Spoke with the FRAM Hotline notated in the Walmart FRAM Book, regarding it, since my car(s) use that filter! And turns out, it was only affected by a select "batch" of filters.......but Walmart took the "proactive" approach, and simply sent them "ALL" back as recall.....rather than figuring out how to read batch codes, etc...hehehe.

But yea, I never had a problem with them on my car......

For all it's quotation across the internet, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is a very little enforced law and the hurdles are high to jump through.

Most times and per the wording of the Act, most people are forced into arbitration than settlement through a court lawsuit.

So any wet dreams of marching down to the dealership and getting free OEM filters and waving a copy of the Act is not going to get you anything other than stupid looks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hootbro
So any wet dreams of marching down to the dealership and getting free OEM filters and waving a copy of the Act is not going to get you anything other than stupid looks.

Agreed. However, I don't see a lot of companies making a big stink that one "has to" use their filters. Most OEM filters are decent. The Nissan/Infiniti ones are not, so I stick with Wix, Bosch, or even Motorcraft, which I probably get a lot cheaper than OEM anyhow.

If someone really wants to go on an MMA crusade, they should pick that fight over transmission fluid on Japanese vehicles. Infiniti has no problems with using Dexron as PSF, yet their obscure transmission fluid seems to have only possible crosses with Idemitsu and Eneos, with indications that one or both may have been or are OEM suppliers. Yeesh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back