Can someone recommend me a good 26R battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Walmart's battery has a 2 year free replacement. No prorations. It is $50.

Everywhere else seems to have a 2 year free replacement and 5 year prorated warrenty. The batteries also cost around $100.

I'm leaning toward a DieHard. The Duralast seams to have higher CCAs though.

BTW my car is a 2008 Chrysler PT Cruiser.

If you buy a Walmart battery...get the Maxx. I had good luck with the DieHard Silver but the Gold is best.

Interesting timing, just purchased a 26R two weeks ago for my sons 2003 PT Cruiser. I needed it quick so I picked up the Diehard (at the time there was a an online sale as well). Seems fine but if I wasnt rushed I would have found a JCI (Johnson Controls) battery as this particular Diehard at least in my region, is an Exide

Forgot to add, Sears only has one model of 26R and Walmart doesnt have an Everstart version of the 26R, they do have a Maxx and from the shape of the caps in the photo its a JCI battery, my local store was out of stock

Get whichever has the highest CCA, then the best full replacement warranty.

Reserve time is another spec to consider.

I get the premium Interstate batteries exclusively in my passenger vehicles. I haven't had one go bad yet, and the longest was 7 years on a Volvo that I sold... It was still cranking hard.

Originally Posted By: dparm

I prefer RC to CCA. CCA is a bit of a gimmicky thing, as it effects plate design and IMO thus longevity.

aap silver series is quality from johnson controls and you can use a coupon on it for good deal.

Nothing decent available at the regular retailers. Not here anyway.

I just use the regular Uh-OhZone battery. They rarely last beyond their free replacement period so I don't really buy them.

That's what I've always heard. The only battery brands I can think of are Duralast, SuperStart, Everstart, Diehard, and Interstate. Are there other brands I'm forgetting?

I just went through batteries in two of our vehicles. I've always had good luck with the AA silver and gold lines. However for the Jeep I wanted something with a bit higher amp-hour (similar to reserve capacity). AZ platinum is an AGM design, which is a sturdier design than a standard flooded cell. same 3 year full replacement, but no prorate beyond that on the warranty. Pretty sure it's JCI battery. Very sturdy casing, exudes quality... and I'm not a fan of the AZ battery line. The top of the line sears diehards are similar, and made by Odyssey, which is typically found in off-grid solar and other premium applications. If you are interested in premium batteries, these are what Optima once was.

I have always had good luck with Deka batteries. Though I did have a Duralast in my old explorer that lasted 8 years. It musta just been a freak thing.

ive been thru 3 luralast 26r's in my Neon in the last 4 years. Im now on a cheap $50 Sears battery. Been working fine since I got it a year or so ago.

Not true, get what you had before (or what is in the manual). More CCA in the same footprint means thinner places and a weaker battery. You may be forced to get more because of selection, but do not look for it.

I would go for the Walmart MAXX. The prorated warranty is pretty useless in my mind.

Above all else get a JCI battery. Interstate are always JCI. Other companies may or may not. Interstate is 800-CRANKIT. Somehow I just remember that number.

According to Deka the higher the CCA in batteries of the same group size the more likely they will have trouble with high temperatures (Texas). Higher CCAs are achieved by packing more plates into the battery, more plates require less space between them. High temperatures within the plates can make the plates warp and makes it is possible for the plates to break through their "envelope" and come in contact with each other and short out the battery, this is more likely to happen in batteries in which the plates are closer together. Also since you live in Texas and heat can be a factor for battery life consider buying one that requires you to add water.

As far as I know, they don't make serviceable batteries anymore.

DieHard: 6 year warranty 575 CCA
Duralast: 7 year warranty 575 CCA
Interstate: 5 year warranty 540 CCA

I forgot to look at the CCA on Walmart's battery but it only has a 2 year warranty.

Not sure if Costco has that size, but their warranty is 3 years free replacement, 100 months prorated. And their price beats most others. I've had good luck with them.

Last Costco magazine said they would also carry Interstate.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: johnsmellsalot

I forgot to look at the CCA on Walmart's battery but it only has a 2 year warranty.

All of those batteries, which are made by Johnson Controls, are serviceable. The vent caps can be popped off.

What if it says maintenance free?
Originally Posted By: brianl703
Originally Posted By: johnsmellsalot

All of those batteries, which are made by Johnson Controls, are serviceable. The vent caps can be popped off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back