Wix Catalog

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dave Newton and I were having a discussion here, and I don't want to further derail that thread. A quick recap is that for my G, the 2011 and earlier Wix catalogs showed it takes the 51365. The 51356 is the "unauthorized" oversize. Dave was mentioning Wix's beta ratio snafus, so I pulled the recommendation from the Wix site.

Now, they recommend a 51358. It's a tiny bit longer, but has the nitrile ADBV, which I confirmed by buying one (and one each of the 51356 and 51365 to compare). The 5135 is a fair bit longer than the 51365, but shares the silicone ADBV with the 51365.

What really irked me is the pricing. Here are the prices:

51356 - list $11.85 my price $7.11
51365 - list $14.88 my price $8.93
51358 - list $15.06 my price $9.13

The biggest filter which also has the silicone ADBV costs the least. Go figure. I can get the Hastings LF113 for about a buck cheaper than the 51358 if I'm going the nitrile route.

Incidentally, the Napa Canada website still shows the Napa Gold 1365 as the filter for the G. I have no idea what Napa charges for them up here. Also, they show the Platinum 41365 as now available in Canada.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ran a -56 on the Honda and the car ran poor for some unk reason. The 51356 has MUCH larger inlet hole area and thr Si adbv. Put the 57356 on and it ran fine. I think that has a nitrile adbv. I want the base end bypass regardless. This combo ran better than the catalogue Recommended purolator classic and MUCH better than the Honda Fram!!!! Top rec of the year - if your fit is a dog, run the wix 57356 with the 5w20 DEFY - thatll wake up the 117 horses ( unlike the 90 or so it has with other combos..

I may be mistaken, but the baseplate on the latest 51356 and 51365 look about the same. In any case, I can take some pictures and post if anyone is interested. The baseplate on the 51358 is the definite black sheep of the three.

If I recall, I believe there is enough room on those engines for a much bigger filter; but it's your car so you'd know.

Check out the Purolator L20073.
If it's available to you, it should be the same low Purolator Classic Price.

Hastings LF383 might squeeze it there too.

I get my filters from Fleetfilter. Prices are less, but the cost structure is the same. The "better" filter (53165 with silicone ADBV) actually costs less than the one with nitrile. I would use the 53156 except that it's too long for my Goldwing appliction.

I really don't know what's going on over at Wix. Something is amiss overall. Let me give yet another example of their catalog malfeasence (OK - that's a bit of an exaggeration, but you get the idea ...)

I have a Scag TigerCub that calls for the OEM hyd filter #484-6201. For many years, NO ONE had a xref for that filter. Even the Wix site used to say it was a "valid" part number, but no filter was available. (Made me think they actually made it, but were under an exclusive contract with Scag at the time).

Fast forward to today:
The Scag 484-6201 equates to a Wix 51200 hyd filter via their direct cross-ref look up.
However if I look up the Scag mower and then do a drop-down menu for all the filters, they actually reference the 51247 filter for the very same application. (The difference between the two is one is a reference via filter info, the other is a reference via the mower info).

IOW - they show two different filters for the same application. Most of you would say "just choose one and be done with it". OK - I'd love to. Except that those two Wix filters are not really the same in concept and construction.
The 51200 has a burst pressure of 350 psi and no bypass valve whatsoever.
The 51247 has a burst pressure of 200 psi and has a bypass rating of 7-9psi.

What the heck????? Same application, two VERY different filters.

Wix has gone insane recently if you ask me. They are in the process of completely homogonizing their beta data (as previously discussed in another thread) and they have conflicting filter referrals which are NOT the same in application. And don't even get me started on their email responses to my Dmax fuel filter quest ...
mad.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
I get my filters from Fleetfilter. Prices are less, but the cost structure is the same. The "better" filter (53165 with silicone ADBV) actually costs less than the one with nitrile. I would use the 53156 except that it's too long for my Goldwing appliction.

I really don't know what's going on over at Wix. Something is amiss overall. Let me give yet another example of their catalog malfeasence (OK - that's a bit of an exaggeration, but you get the idea ...)

I have a Scag TigerCub that calls for the OEM hyd filter #484-6201. For many years, NO ONE had a xref for that filter. Even the Wix site used to say it was a "valid" part number, but no filter was available. (Made me think they actually made it, but were under an exclusive contract with Scag at the time).

Fast forward to today:
The Scag 484-6201 equates to a Wix 51200 hyd filter via their direct cross-ref look up.
However if I look up the Scag mower and then do a drop-down menu for all the filters, they actually reference the 51247 filter for the very same application. (The difference between the two is one is a reference via filter info, the other is a reference via the mower info).

IOW - they show two different filters for the same application. Most of you would say "just choose one and be done with it". OK - I'd love to. Except that those two Wix filters are not really the same in concept and construction.
The 51200 has a burst pressure of 350 psi and no bypass valve whatsoever.
The 51247 has a burst pressure of 200 psi and has a bypass rating of 7-9psi.

What the heck????? Same application, two VERY different filters.

Wix has gone insane recently if you ask me. They are in the process of completely homogonizing their beta data (as previously discussed in another thread) and they have conflicting filter referrals which are NOT the same in application. And don't even get me started on their email responses to my Dmax fuel filter quest ...
mad.gif

one basic problem is why does the industry need 100s of different filters.
chrysler used to use one flter in the 50s 60s and 70s

If you're really looking for something aggravating, go check out the Wix European website at http://wixeurope.com/

Not only does the website not look like something made in FrontPage, but you can also search for filters by dimensions you specify.

Originally Posted By: rrounds
Can you run a larger(longer) filter than 3"?
If so Baldwin has 4 or 5 filters that are way larger than the Wix filters.

I grabbed an upsize Hastings LF240, too, for comparisons sake. There's plenty of room. I don't know why they bothered with such a small filter. If the thread size and gasket diameter were right, there's more than enough room for an FL1A in there!

Originally Posted By: mount
Check out the Purolator L20073.

The only Purolators in this city are Motorcrafts.
wink.gif
The Hastings LF383 might be a bit wide, but I suspect the length would be okay.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3

I'm beginning to wonder if the Wix tech people are getting overwhelmed, with the added issue of not bothering because we're the only guys that care anyhow. Wix has its own line of filters, obviously, plus makes filters for others. Perhaps they've decided that regularly updating beta numbers is a hassle. If that's the case, they should simply say so. We may not like it, but at least we'd know. Or, list their worst filter and their best filter. I don't know - something other than the same data for everything.
wink.gif
We've been through that with Motorcraft already. They responded by yanking all the data.

Originally Posted By: Garak

I'm beginning to wonder if the Wix tech people are getting overwhelmed, with the added issue of not bothering because we're the only guys that care anyhow. Wix has its own line of filters, obviously, plus makes filters for others. Perhaps they've decided that regularly updating beta numbers is a hassle. If that's the case, they should simply say so. We may not like it, but at least we'd know. Or, list their worst filter and their best filter. I don't know - something other than the same data for everything.
wink.gif
We've been through that with Motorcraft already. They responded by yanking all the data.

They should just do like FRAM and Purolator does (list the efficiency/beta based on one or two filter models) if they don't want to hassle with testing and listing a beta ratio for each filter they make. That's what's probably going to happen as time goes on.

Agreed. I wish they'd have the accurate, up to date beta ratios for each filter, but unless I volunteer to do all the typing and proofreading for them for free, I don't have much to complain about.
wink.gif

I'm sure it's daunting enough to keep the online catalog accurate from an application perspective, let alone keeping the beta numbers in order.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Agreed. I wish they'd have the accurate, up to date beta ratios for each filter, but unless I volunteer to do all the typing and proofreading for them for free, I don't have much to complain about.
wink.gif

I'm sure it's daunting enough to keep the online catalog accurate from an application perspective, let alone keeping the beta numbers in order.

Even if WIX has their own testing lab to basically test every filter they make to obtain a specific beta ratio, it would be very time consuming and expensive. Of course, once the data is obtained it shouldn't change unless the filter design has changed. Maybe that's what's happening ... WIX is making filter changes that would warrant a new beta test, and they just don't want to spend the time and money to do so anymore for every filter.

BTW - I found an independent test lab that tested oil filters to ISO standards, and the quote was $15,000 per filter to test to ISO 4548-12.

I'm almost to depressed to comment on this. The Wix catalog was just a great general resource. Sad to see it go away as a dependable source. Makes you wonder about the products, too.

Well, with any luck, the Wix catalog will at least keep the proper thread and dimensional information.
wink.gif
As I mentioned previously, they switched the recommendation for my G from the 51365 to the 51358 for some reason. I really didn't even know that the 51358 existed, much less that it was a fit for the G. As far as I knew, the only fits from them were the 51365 and the oversized 51356.

It is a daunting amount of information to keep updated, I suspect. Aside from the switch from 51365 to 51358, have any other posters noticed their recommended filter change lately? How about any other beta numbers that have magically changed?

Wix incomprehensible listings aside, imo the no brainer choice for your G of those listed is 51356. I do however understand that you have warranty concerns, and thus the frustration.

I have no idea why Wix is now specing the 58 with a nitrile adbv. I certainly wouldn't pay the same or more than the larger 56 with a silicone adbv. I also don't like the fact that they are using nitrile combo valves in the silver and NPS line, but that's just me.

I still think highly of the Wix/Napa Gold oil filter construction as the majority still seem to be made like the 5/1356, and when they go on sale for 40% off at my local Napa, I'll pick up one or two. Have a 1356 and 1348 in my stash. However, P1's and Classic are more readily available here at a less expensive price, so they are my first choice.

fwiw, my son owns a 10 G37S, and upon my advice/recommendation is running the PL14610, the 1356 equivalent, it fits and works fine. I'm aware of the possible warranty conflict, but just consider it a miniscule concern in this case, but again that's just me. After you get out of warranty if the 51356 is still made as it is now, it seems the best choice for your G of those made by Wix. And while the Wix catalog may list another filter, you frequenting the Bitog OF board have enough information imo to make an informed independent decision.
49.gif

The 51356 is about the cheapest of the lot. I still have no idea why Wix was toying with their catalog. If I recall correctly, the 51358 has a slightly different bypass pressure, but it's not absurdly different from the 51356/51365 (which are pretty much identical filters aside from length). The baseplate is also different on the 51358. I should post some pictures.

If you ask me, I agree they should have just speced the 51356, rather than the 51365 from before or the current 51358. There's no shortage of room. The important dimensions are the same. The bypass is the same as the originally specified 51365.

I'd have no problem running a P1 either; they're just not available here. I was getting Bosch 3300 filters online, but I also noticed NAPA lists them in their catalog. That's certainly another option.

If I'm really paranoid about warranty (which I'm not), there isn't much warranty left, so I could use the 51365 first (since the Wix printed catalog at the shop still lists the 51365), then my 51358, then the 51356 and the Hasting. By then, warranty should be done.
wink.gif

It's not too big of a deal; it's just a darned nuisance. For all the grief we give quick lube places, I certainly don't envy them when things like this happen. I'm sure Wix isn't the only filter company that has done some playing around with their specifications for a certain application. This is just one instance I happened to catch.

Thought I would check what the Wix listing is for my 07 3.0L Accord, which specs the 14610 or Fram 7317.

On the Wix catalog the PL14610 crosses to the Wix 51356, ok fine. But, when I look up by vehicle Wix lists the 57356, which looks to be a nitrile adbv filter. Ahh, no. I'll be using the NG1356. Can't tell if the 57356 is thread end bypass.

Not sure what's up with these Wix nitrile adbv listing now?

I'm not sure what's up with that. I'd assume it would have the thread end bypass, but one never knows. Maybe Wix just has a glut of 51358 and 57356 filters they want to get rid of.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back