Chrysler MS9933 is equal to....

Status
Not open for further replies.
possibly ATF +4?

Got a 99 Cirrus 2.5L v6, manual states mopar power steering fluid, so that's useless.
Amsoil's site says ATF +4, Alldata says MS9933 which upon all the research I've done, was only a factory fill and is not supposed to be mixed with +4. Every Dodge site I've visited is merely quoting the TSB from AllData's site (it looks like).
But nobody will come out & say to use ATF +4, there's more warnings against it than for it.

So to the experts.. anyone know what MS9933 would be equivalent to? I've looked on the back of a couple Sta-Lube PS fluids and they give mopar spec numbers, but nothing that I can use.

My hesitation is because my neighbor has an 01 Durango, his owners manual says to use ATF +4, the Durango forums he's on say to use it. So when i put the new pressure hose on, I used it. He had a lot of steering issues. I went to Alldata, it came back with a line that states the first part of 01 you use PS fluid, the latter you use ATF +4. So I turkey bastered out the +4 I put in, and put regular PS fluid in. after 5 drain & fills he came back from his test drive and said the steering was as it was before.
So I dodged that bullet! Plus, I only added a quart of +4 all together, but had to use 4quarts of PS to drain/fill.

So I'm hesitant to mess around with fluids.
The oil in it now is clean, I'm confidant it's not +4, it does look like a PS fluid, the steering's fine on it. but I want to put the right thing in.

Any ideas?

Just called the dealership, MS5931 is what's supposed to be used for the 1999 Cirrus via VIN#.

Let my confusion begin..

Last edited:
Here's a link to the TSB.

Dodge PS TSB

MS9933 is what a '99 calls for. Maybe you had an early '99. Check with another dealer.

NOTE: The TSB says it supersedes the owners manual.

Last edited:
Before using +4 I believe Chrysler always used regular PS fluid.They always were very negative to old Dexron,even outright saying do not use it in their owners manuals.

I honestly can't goto the dealer unless I have absolutely no choice. It's like giving in, especially when I know chrysler didn't make the fluid themselves, someone else makes it, and sells it under a different name/brand.
Sta-Lube's red PS fluid meets the MS5931 criteria. Probably gonna go with that one!

Eric,

I have a 97 Stratus, essentially the same car, and I know how you feel about that TSB being confusing and nonsensical.

Just drain the rack and use ATF+4. Its what I did and haven't had a single issue in almost 3 years. The TSB doesn't want you to /mix/ fluids but states that ATF+4 is acceptable.

There is another TSB that suggests using ATF+4 in place of the same MS5931 fluid for fixing low temperature power steering hums anyhow and recommends the same "drain and replace."

Can't go wrong with ATF+4. If your system has the old MS5931 fluid, do NOT mix them.

Anything else (MS9933, MS9602 (ATF+4)) can be mixed.

IF YOUR SYSTEM HAS 9933 IN IT YOU CAN TOP OFF WITH ATF+4.

Only 5931 should NOT be mixed, only fully replaced!

Last edited:
Never really thought about it much before but with Valvoline as a site sponsor they ought to know if this were a problem.

I just bought a 2008 Chrysler PT Cruiser. The owner's manual says to use Mopar Power Steering Fluid +4 OR Automatic Transmission Fluid +4.

I just topped my '98 Cirrus off with Prestone PSF from Autozone. I thought about doing a drain and fill, but I think I am just leaving it alone.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Eric,

I have a 97 Stratus, essentially the same car, and I know how you feel about that TSB being confusing and nonsensical.

Just drain the rack and use ATF+4. Its what I did and haven't had a single issue in almost 3 years. The TSB doesn't want you to /mix/ fluids but states that ATF+4 is acceptable.

There is another TSB that suggests using ATF+4 in place of the same MS5931 fluid for fixing low temperature power steering hums anyhow and recommends the same "drain and replace."

Can't go wrong with ATF+4. If your system has the old MS5931 fluid, do NOT mix them.

Anything else (MS9933, MS9602 (ATF+4)) can be mixed.

IF YOUR SYSTEM HAS 9933 IN IT YOU CAN TOP OFF WITH ATF+4.

Only 5931 should NOT be mixed, only fully replaced!

I would like for you to provide a link to the TSB regarding what is in Bold.

http://neons.org/neontsb/TSB/19/190398.htm

Not no link; more like I never saved it. Did find a copy of what I referred to when I changed my car to ATF+4. Cross-referencing with the last TSB posted earlier in this thread, basically a TSB advocating replacing the old 5931 fluid with 9933 fluid, 9933 being compatible with ATF+4.

Basically,
NOTE: This bulletin supersedes owner’s and service manuals for the vehicles listed above that may state to use MS9933
APPROVED SERVICE FILL MS9602
On some past models, MS9602 should be used as the replacement fluid. On these models, if a power steering system is being serviced that results in a large fluid loss, such as a pump, hose or gear/rack replacement, the complete system should be drained and filled with MS9602.

And that TSB advocating a change to 9933...which is ATF+4 essentially.

Its only imperative you don't mix anything with 5931.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back