Quaker State Oil Filters for $2.00

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Everyone,

Menards has Quaker State Oil Filters on sale for $2.00. Are these filters ok to use in a normal 10 year old car for 3,000-4,000 OCI? I just run conventional 5-30.

Seems like a good deal.

ABerns said:
Yep, those are re-badged Purolater Classics and work well. [/url]

Yes, they do work well. However, just remember that some numbers have been severely downsized when compared to a Purolator classic or a Wix. The diameter of the latest QS 8A is now down to about the same diameter as the gasket, or in other words is the same size as the old QS 3600. The new QS 3600 is even smaller.
The QS equivalent of the Motorcraft FL820 is slightly over half or maybe 2/3 the length of a genuine FL820. (Because of the silicone gasket of a genuine FL820 verses the nitrile QS FL820 equivalent, I'll buy the Motorcraft any day)
Anyway, I'm saying that they are good filters for the price, especially for a beater car or something that gets a 5K miles or less service interval.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
ABerns said:
Yep, those are re-badged Purolater Classics and work well. [/url]

Yes, they do work well. However, just remember that some numbers have been severely downsized when compared to a Purolator classic or a Wix. The diameter of the latest QS 8A is now down to about the same diameter as the gasket, or in other words is the same size as the old QS 3600. The new QS 3600 is even smaller.
The QS equivalent of the Motorcraft FL820 is slightly over half or maybe 2/3 the length of a genuine FL820. (Because of the silicone gasket of a genuine FL820 verses the nitrile QS FL820 equivalent, I'll buy the Motorcraft any day)
Anyway, I'm saying that they are good filters for the price, especially for a beater car or something that gets a 5K miles or less service interval.

True but the QS likely has just as much media because you can get less media in the housing with a thread end bypass.

I love how people want to use the cheapest filters they can on vehicles that cost much more than the filter.

I've probably owned a few that were worth LESS than the filter! Seriously, for an old beater, this deal can't be beat on a (smaller element) rebadged Puro Classic!

Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr
I love how people want to use the cheapest filters they can on vehicles that cost much more than the filter.

Cheap doesn't necessarily equate to bad.

I'm "cheap"; I admit it. But I want to define "cheap" so I'm not misunderstood. I want the lowest-cost product that meets the minimum criteria I set for any situation.

Now I need to define "minimum criteria" don't I? Well, that's a set of parameters (performance or situation based) for any product, that allows the attainment of the specific goal, relative to the opportunities of success and failure.

And on and on it goes ...

For an oil filter, I want it to reduce contamination to a level that assures a wear rate low enough to offer extreme longevity of my equipment when coupled with a moderate overall maintenance plan.

Bottom line: for a "normal" OCI plan with decent quality dino oil, I'd use these "cheap" filters in a heartbeat. Are they premium products like EaO, M1, Bosch top-tier products? No, certainly not. But then again, I don't need those top-tier products for a normal OCI using dino oil ...

Some people want the "best", and yet really cannot define what "best" means, other than to assume the highest cost = the "best" of whatever they buy.

Putting on a $2 QS filter with Amsoil fluids and trying to run 25k miles is not a good idea. But using a EaO filter for 5k mile dino OCIs aint' too smart either.

Alwasy better to match your system components with parity in mind. "Normal" OCIs with traditional oils and reasonable filters work perfectly fine, and there are examples out there where (quite literally) some vehicles have gone one-million (1,000,000) miles with "normal" stuff protecting the engine. Premium fluids and top-tier filters certainly can be a good idea, but only when paired into a well-thought-out and executed maintenance plan.

Get it?

I'd would not hesitate to buy $2 QS filters for my wife's 215k mile Villager van that runs inexpensive dino oils for 5k mile OCIs, and sleep very well at night. The UOAs show my plan is working very well. In fact, those types of fluids and filters are what got it to 215k miles in the first place ...

Last edited:
I picked up 4 QS3600s for my bro's old Tercel, the only downside seems to be a limited selection, no filters bigger than the QS8A (usually Ford) or QS5 (small block Chevy/GM). They look like any Purolator Classic on the inside, and MUCH stronger than any Ecore.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
I picked up 4 QS3600s

Are you sure you shouldn't have picked up the 8A instead? Because the QS 8A is now the same size as the old 3600-sized filters.

Quote:
Quote:

Cheap doesn't necessarily equate to bad.

Agreed. But it 'might' if one isn't a fan of Purolator and/or Purolator made oil filters.
56.gif

The QS seems to be a well made filter, especially in this case for $2. My biggest complaint, though minor, is the consolidation downsizing of many applications. Not unique to QS though.

The QS would seem to make more sense though than other more cheaply constructed filters, that for some reason, cost more.

Originally Posted By: sayjac

The QS seems to be a well made filter, especially in this case for $2. My biggest complaint, though minor, is the consolidation downsizing of many applications. Not unique to QS though.

The QS would seem to make more sense though than other more cheaply constructed filters, that for some reason, cost more.

Here's my take on the whole QS filter debate: On a car that is easy on oil, won't be revved to 10 grand, doesn't need a silicone ADBV, or is not going through a quick and harsh desludge, the QS will be fine. As far as the price, I guess Quaker State doesn't sponsor all the TV engine-building shows or have a 20 foot inflatable faux oil filter at all the racing events, so they don't have to gouge anybody. For some of my applications, I will buy a QS oil filter.
One nice thing about Menards, the place that sells these $2 oil filters, is that they've really increased their line of automotive accessories. A couple of months ago, they introduced line of Exide automotive batteries and had them all on sale for $59. (I guess the bad-mouthing of Exide batteries can be included in another thread) Since one of the Exide battery plants is only about a half hour from where my Menards store is located, I saw where most of the automotive batteries had been put on the shelf just a day or two after they had left the factory. Matter of fact, on February 2nd of this year, I bought a battery from Menards that was wearing a sticker that said it was manufactured in February of 2012.
Either it was a super fresh battery, or they cheated a little bit on the manufacturing tag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back