G.E.T. G 5w30, 10,053 miles, 96 Volvo 850 Turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know how hard your turbo is on oil, but that report looks great.

$26 for 5 quarts (regular price) and it lasts for 2 oil changes. That is not bad

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Old Mustang Guy
Is this the G oil synthetic?

Nice wear numbers.

Actual fuel must be more than 0.5. See 355f flash point.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
Looks good but for the tbn. I'd switch to M1 EP and an M1 filter. Watch for promotions at AZ. 5 quarts of ep and an m1 filter for $32-34.

I would also switch to that. I love the mobil produts. But his insol was pretty low and the wear levels were almost non existant and with 10,000 he sure got his money worth.

They put a lot of thought into the sales pitch:
"Our bio base-synthetic G-OIL is the GREEN SOLUTION for gasoline engines, providing better protection for automotive engines under the toughest driving conditions NATURALLY BETTER THAN SYNTHETICS"

Ha! At quick glance it appears to be a claim. Reading more closely they clarify with NATURALLY. Not disputing if its a good product, just noting a very clever mixed message that can be considered true and will confuse many.

We had 330,000 miles on our 93 850 before we traded it. Great cars... they're built with the same durability as long haul trucks. But ours didn't have a turbo and I'm not sure it could get to 100 mph!

But I really would an inline trans filter! Or pump 4 qts out every couple oil changes.

I think this is the 3rd UOA I've seen of GET 5W-30 full syn, as well as some other extensive testing. A couple of things stand out to me so far:
1. It offers excellent wear protection.
2. It has very poor shear stability.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
The 15% viscosity loss isn't an issue for most since this oil starts with a 3.5cP HTHSV rating.

Where are you getting your HTHSV number? The tested number I have seen is much lower than 3.5.

The HTHSV of 3.5cP is from GET directly:
http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13500701

What tested number have you seen and the source?

My source is from a reference engine oil 411 test done by IOM. It's posted on the Dyson Mobility Weblog. I would prefer that you log on and see the HTHS and other interesting testing for this oil and others if you want more accurate information than you're getting from the link you posted. Sorry, that's the best I can do for now.

Originally Posted By: INDYMAC
What tested number have you seen and the source?
My source is from a reference engine oil 411 test done by IOM. It's posted on the Dyson Mobility Weblog.
Fyi, the G-Oil manufacturer mentions hths of their 10W-30 at 3.09, so for the 5W-30 hths should be lower. And the kv values and density are lower for the G-oil 5W-30 compared to the G-oil 10W-30. The G-oil SAE30 has a hths of 3.70 and these are direct from the G-oil technical sheet.

Wow, a "synthetic" that performs like conventional oil. The wear numbers are good, but having the TBN be all done after 10k long trim highway miles isn't impressive.

I've always been curious about the biodegradable claims made for G-oil. Do we really want lubricants biodegrading in our vehicles?

Originally Posted By: wgtoys
Wow, a "synthetic" that performs like conventional oil. The wear numbers are good, but having the TBN be all done after 10k long trim highway miles isn't impressive.

I've always been curious about the biodegradable claims made for G-oil. Do we really want lubricants biodegrading in our vehicles?

I don't think anyone runs a sufficiently long OCI to worry about any sort of breakdown...

Show me any 10K UOA with any conventional oil in a passenger car that has wear metals at the level G-Oil produced in this car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back