Nissan Pathfinder continue 5w30 or go thicker?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All,

I have a 1999.5 Nissan Pathfinder with the 3.3L V6 118K Miles. I don't have any oil leaks and as far as I know(owned 2 years) and it doesn't seem to burn any oil. Question is, do I switch to 10W30 or keep using the recommended 5w30 per the manual. Also, if I continue using 5w30 should I switch to high mileage oil?

Currently using castrol GTX 5W30 with wix filter.

Thanks for the input in advance.

Fancy meeting you here
lol.gif

I'd stick with 5W-30 for better flow during cold starts and a better viscosity index. Since high mileage oils generally have a more robust additive package for the same price or not much more and supposedly help condition seals, I see no reason not to start using HM oils. It's probably better to start using HM oil proactively rather than start using it at the first sign of a weep or leak.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Keep doing what you're doing.

+1
It didn't break don't fix it. Unless you try to see if you can break it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Towncivilian
Fancy meeting you here
lol.gif

I'd stick with 5W-30 for better flow during cold starts and a better viscosity index. Since high mileage oils generally have a more robust additive package for the same price or not much more and supposedly help condition seals, I see no reason not to start using HM oils. It's probably better to start using HM oil proactively rather than start using it at the first sign of a weep or leak.

LOL yeah, I'm on the Nico forum too. You're pretty active on there but you're real helpful so it's a plus that you're on both.

So as far as HM oils I could switch or just keep doing what I'm doing as far as the other replies I got.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: dparm
Keep doing what you're doing.

+1
It didn't break don't fix it. Unless you try to see if you can break it.

LOL

Yeah, I could try to run some 15W50 and then put a couple bottles of motor honey/STP blue bottle and see what happens. =)

Most 10w30's are only slightly thicker at operating temp than 5w30. You lose out on the better initial flow as Towncivilian said. If you go thicker the only oil I would use I'd M1 0w40. It is an outstanding oil and has a high VI. It is overkill though and I don't think it would help that much unless you were doing a lot of full vehicle passenger load driving or hauling stuff.

HM oils will work too, use 5w30 though. Whatever is in your budget/on sale.

I run 2 older vehicles, a 97 rodeo and a 96 chrysler t&c minivan; currently running Quaker State HM 5w-30 in both.

Neither vehicle uses, drips or leaks any oil, simply switched to it because the QS HM has more remaining anti-wear additives then the newer oils do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back