Old article, but brings up an interesting point...

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.imakenews.com/lng/e_article000351473.cfm?x=b16kqbNJ,b16kqbNJ,w

Quote:
All, except for Mobil 1 Extended Performance, are API licensed for the most current categories, ILSAC GF-4 and API SM. Mobil 1 Extended Performance is not currently licensed because it does not meet the fuel economy requirements of GF-4 as measured by the Sequence VIB engine test. It does, however, meet the engine durability and protection requirements of the specification. The company said it is doing a considerable amount of work to meet the fuel economy requirements while retaining the 15,000-mile guarantee. “Technically its doable,” said Olszewski, “We’re well under way and expect to get there.”

They later approved it for GF-4. Mobil 1 EP is currently GF-5/SN, so it also meets the fuel economy requirements.

I'm not sure some of the smaller blenders that claim they are predominantly Group IV based and use little/no VM'ers meet the VIB test. That could be one reason why they are not licensed. It's a trade off. Oils like Redline and some of Amsoil's would probably not meet it, but on the upside you get a more shear stable oil.

Is Edge still a 15k mile oil?

t's what happens when moron bureaucrats are allowed to make technical policy. I could give a bleep about half a mile per gallon in a 30 mpg car, but I want the thing to LAST. Keeping cars longer has to have a positive environmental consequence equal to or better than the slight MPG improvements the bureaucrats tr to ram down our throats. It really IS time to take this country back.

I don't believe Edge makes the 15,000 mile claim anymore. I'm sure you are aware that many of us here had strong doubts about that initial claim.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
t's what happens when moron bureaucrats are allowed to make technical policy. I could give a bleep about half a mile per gallon in a 30 mpg car, but I want the thing to LAST. Keeping cars longer has to have a positive environmental consequence equal to or better than the slight MPG improvements the bureaucrats tr to ram down our throats. It really IS time to take this country back.

???

The wear requirements for GF-5 are exactly the same as for GF-4. DEXOS is higher. You may not care about another half mpg, but on a national scale it means that we send less money to foreign oil produces (no, we who possess 2% of the world's oil reserves and consume 20% of the world's oil cannot solve the problem by drilling more). The actual specs for the oil standards are set by a committee composed of engine makers, oil makers, and chemical additive makers. Not bureaucrats.

spider%20diagram%20color.png

http://www.gf-5.com/gsuniverse/sitetemplates/gf5/images/spider diagram color.png

That is probably the best graph I have ever seen that compares the differences on those oil requirements. Thanks!

Huh, I'm inspired to try dexos1 approved oils and try to compare oils hopelessly via UOA vs GF-5/SN spec'd oils without the dexos1 grade...but hey, maybe those 'only' approved for GF-5/SN 'meet or exceed' dexos1 labeled oils already?
crazy2.gif

banana2.gif

@#mindblown

(no, we who possess 2% of the world's oil reserves and consume 20% of the world's oil cannot solve the problem by drilling more)

This is false. This statement is scary wrong!

To not get political, I won't give links.

But Google things like myth of 2% oil, we have 60 times oil, Mr 'X' misleads on oil reserves.
This was front page news n economic papers in the middle of march.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back